Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pursuegodnow
New Member!
Female 

31-10-2011, 02:55 PM

Need help - my dog ate a dead rabbit

I let my dog out this morning only to be informed by my neighbor that he had been eating on a dead rabbit. What if anything should I concern myself with as a result?
Need feedback thanks!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2011, 02:59 PM
I'd keep an eye on him to make sure he's digesting it OK and it hasn't upset his tum. Many dogs eat rabbits with no problems though, their digestive systems are very good at dealing with raw meat, even if it is a bit past its best!
One thing to consider is worming him if he's not done regularly.
Jonas
New Member!
Male 

31-10-2011, 03:02 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. Mine live on a farm and get up to all sorts of disgusting things LOL If they do have a reaction it is just to be sick apart from that they will be fine.
pursuegodnow
New Member!
Female 

31-10-2011, 03:06 PM
Krlyr, THANKS FOR THE INFO!
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-10-2011, 03:06 PM
Your dog should be fine. Keep you eye on him but as others have said a lot of dogs eat raw rabbit and are okay with it.
pursuegodnow
New Member!
Female 

31-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Great help people! You have relieved my anxiety... I appreciate your words of wisdom!
Psychopenny
New Member!
Female 

03-11-2011, 09:17 PM
My whippets catch, kill and eat rabbits as well as being prepared to eat dead ones they find. I discourage this as far as possible as there is a slight risk of heart-worm. However, by the time I get to where my dogs are in a large field they have usually eaten plenty! Have lived here with whippets for 24 years and no heart-worm yet, so I suppose the ris is not great.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Psychopenny View Post
My whippets catch, kill and eat rabbits as well as being prepared to eat dead ones they find. I discourage this as far as possible as there is a slight risk of heart-worm.
As far as I am aware there is no heart-worm in the UK that can affect dogs.

We do have Lungworm here (aka French Heartworm) but that is carried via snails and slugs, not rabbits. The main risk with wild rabbits in the UK is Tapeworms which can live as cysts in the rabbit's body, but regular worming with something specific to Tapes such as Drontal will be effective.

To the OP - I understand you live in the USA rather than the UK where most of us are based. I think it would be wise to check with a Vet in your area to find out if rabbits local to you can carry anything which could be passed on to dogs, such as worms which don't affect our wild rabbits in the UK. I am also not sure if Tularemia is a risk these days?
Psychopenny
New Member!
Female 

03-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Hi
You are quite right that heart-worm has been predominantly found in the US but, according to my vet, it is increasing in the UK. I asked my vet about it recently because a dog in Gloucester that I knew (and loved) died of it.
mad-dog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2011, 07:44 AM
worming would also be my suggestion!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >