Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 09:27 PM

Monty's making progress...........

As some of you know, and have offered invaluable advice on, I've been concerned about Monty's toiletting habits for a while now.

For those of you who don't know basically at 7 months old Monty was making lakes of pee in my kitchen and the occasional turd during his 4 hours alone morning and evening - this is broken up by an hour with me at lunch.

There seemed to be no light at the end of the tunnel and even after going back to basics of huge praise when he does it correctly nothing changed.

Then someone on here, forgive me as i don't remember who, said something about water contents in his food. We were feeding him a complete biscuit mix with half a tin of pedigree chum, morning and evening. I also spoke to a nutritional advisor at our pet food supplier and they also said too much water from the tinned meat.

Lo and behold pedigree chum is 80% water so there is no place for it in our house anymore!!

Anyway the difference has been immense and we have now gone two days with only one tiny accident and i'm chuffed to bits with his progress. I'm fairly confident now that in another month or so we'll be accident free and Monty will be clean in the house when left alone.

We've also introduced some high value toys including a treat ball to his regime when left alone and that seems to be making a difference. He is only allowed these when he has time by himself and i think he now focuses less on the fact that i've gone as he's more interested in his toy.

I'm so pleased with him, i know it's only two days but it's a huge improvement and Wednesday was his first full day clean in the house which two weeks ago i felt like we'd never achieve!

So thanks to all those who have offered advice and support and thanks for listening to my little boast!
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 09:49 PM
yey monty. we knew you would do it eventually. its good someone mentioned about the food. i know i woudlnt have thought about that
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Brilliant news, it just shows how something simple can make such a difference. It would never have crossed my mind either.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 09:55 PM
That is good news. I can imagine that must have been frustrating...nothing quite like coming back to a fresh turd on your lunch break to whet your appetite!

Are you feeding all dry now?
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by valandra View Post
yey monty. we knew you would do it eventually. its good someone mentioned about the food. i know i woudlnt have thought about that
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
Brilliant news, it just shows how something simple can make such a difference. It would never have crossed my mind either.
The food thing never crossed my mind either, it really made me open my eyes and read the labels of what I give to my dog. I was shocked to see that P.Chum was 80% water.

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
That is good news. I can imagine that must have been frustrating...nothing quite like coming back to a fresh turd on your lunch break to whet your appetite!

Are you feeding all dry now?
Yep, he just gets his dry Oscar's biscuits. I was mixing a bit of water in with them for a while so he wasn't suddenly going from moist to dry in one hit. But now he's just on the biscuits alone. He turns his nose up a bit sometimes but will always give in within half an hour! He has a bit of yoghurt mixed in two or free times a week to aid digestion.

And yes, the turds did nothing for my lunch time appetite!!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
The food thing never crossed my mind either, it really made me open my eyes and read the labels of what I give to my dog. I was shocked to see that P.Chum was 80% water.

Yep, he just gets his dry Oscar's biscuits. I was mixing a bit of water in with them for a while so he wasn't suddenly going from moist to dry in one hit. But now he's just on the biscuits alone. He turns his nose up a bit sometimes but will always give in within half an hour! He has a bit of yoghurt mixed in two or free times a week to aid digestion.

And yes, the turds did nothing for my lunch time appetite!!
Yup. Like I say with the cheaper canned foods, it is an expensive way to feed water.

I stopped wasting money on canned food when the last time I fed my dog some Butchers tripe I woke at 3am to the stench of the most enormous turd I have seen. Never again...
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Yup. Like I say with the cheaper canned foods, it is an expensive way to feed water.

I stopped wasting money on canned food when the last time I fed my dog some Butchers tripe I woke at 3am to the stench of the most enormous turd I have seen. Never again...
I won't be going back to them either. OH feels guilty for the dog just eating dry biscuits but Monty will eat them and enjoys it when he does, he just likes to see if he can push for something else by turning his nose up!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 05:55 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
I won't be going back to them either. OH feels guilty for the dog just eating dry biscuits but Monty will eat them and enjoys it when he does, he just likes to see if he can push for something else by turning his nose up!
Ours have been on dry biscuits for ages!!! I often add a teaspoon of olive oil to their food, to help their coats etc. Never really more than that. I used to add tuna/sardines once a week, but it's quite expensive to do that as well!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 06:31 AM
Glad you are making progress......well done
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 07:16 AM
Well done mate, it's great when things start gooing right again xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >