Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 10:21 PM

I really feel like giving up! (rant!)

Ive been working for the Co-op now for just shy of a year as a financial adviser. My brother and Sister both worked there and have now gone independent and are doing very well with their earnings. I was fed up at the engineering company i was working with , saw the money they were on and thought - I'll have me a peice of that thank you!!

Anyway I know Diane (my sis ) had a rough time (she was one of 4 female advisers out of about 2000) as a lot of blokes didnt like the women in the workplace (apart from those in clerical roles!)

So i was slightly prepared for comments etc - Iam now one of about 26 females out of 1700 advisers... But i was never prepared for the out right bullying from Area managers and District Manager.

So many sly comments have been made - My area manager used to work with my brother and sister and openly admitted in front of everyone that had he known who i was he would never have given me the job. Other area mangers have cornered me saying that im not right for the job and that they "will see to it!" and then My district manager told me he would sack me, manage me out so fast i wouldnt know what hit me!....

Ive gotten to the stage where i want to leave. Im not sleeping, started drinking more, am getting mild panic attacks on the way into meetings and crying at completely random moments......

If i leave i will be giving up a well paid future (40k p/a plus)(once i have passed the rest of my exams) but i dont think i am right for the sales type job and want to just go now.....i cant bear it much longer...

Im seeing my doctor on thursday -think im getting depressed but i dont know what to do - i have no real proof and management always stick up for each other....

someone tell me waht to do....!!!!
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Oh you poor thing what an awful situation to be in and it really sounds like it is getting to you. Can you take some time off and have and see how you feel then. I don't think any job is worth the hell that you are going through. My outlook on life is that it is very short, you only get one chance at it and if something is making you that miserable then is it worth it?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 10:32 PM
OMG

Life really is too short for this kind of cr*p but why the hell should you leave with nothing?

I'm so sorry I'm no work expert but is there a HR rep or union rep or someone you can get to help you? Occ Health?

How about CAB?
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
OMG

Life really is too short for this kind of cr*p but why the hell should you leave with nothing?

I'm so sorry I'm no work expert but is there a HR rep or union rep or someone you can get to help you? Occ Health?

How about CAB?
Im calling in sick tomorrow and speaking to HR and the union, they reckon i have a cse for bullying - but i have no witnesses its their word against mine - and as one Area manager said its a new young female advisers word over an experienced Area Manager!!!

HR sais i should speak to my managers to sort it out!

even if it is sorted it wouldnt stop they would just be more careful!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by Berger View Post
Oh you poor thing what an awful situation to be in and it really sounds like it is getting to you. Can you take some time off and have and see how you feel then. I don't think any job is worth the hell that you are going through. My outlook on life is that it is very short, you only get one chance at it and if something is making you that miserable then is it worth it?
Im hopefully starting my Proffesional Dog groomers Certificate in September!

Im gonna see if the Doc can sigh me off sick so i can take time out and think about it

Thing is Co-op is struggling! they need to get rid of about 1000 advisers - so in january they brought in new targets - and its only the cream of staff that can reach them!

So legitimately that can sack us for not meeting targets -

They keep calling us in for meeting to "help us" but the support they offer isnt their when you ask! lets just say that those that are the top get a hell of a lot more help that us newbies!!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Have you any e mails or anything that would back you up?
I can understand how you feel, I went through all that a few years ago, but did take them to a Tribunal - it never got that far, the sheer thought of them being in the papers (and I also told the HR people I was considering writing a book!) and the publicity was enough to put them off. If you have the Union behind you I would make them sweat a bit before you went.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Have you any e mails or anything that would back you up?
I can understand how you feel, I went through all that a few years ago, but did take them to a Tribunal - it never got that far, the sheer thought of them being in the papers (and I also told the HR people I was considering writing a book!) and the publicity was enough to put them off. If you have the Union behind you I would make them sweat a bit before you went.
I have asked them to put it in meails and they NEVER do!!!

The union sometimes is a toothless tiger! even if it got resolved it wouldnt change the fac that these ridiculous targets are in force and they will manage me out!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Alex, is this all worth it? It's making you ill girl.

Get your doctor to sign you off for a while. Depending on how long you've worked there, you should get full sick pay.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Alex, is this all worth it? It's making you ill girl.

Get your doctor to sign you off for a while. Depending on how long you've worked there, you should get full sick pay.

i would get 6months full pay and six months half - i just dont really want to becouse it may deter future employers having that long off sick.... but no its not worth it!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
i would get 6months full pay and six months half - i just dont really want to becouse it may deter future employers having that long off sick.... but no its not worth it!
Thing is - carrying on like this might make you very ill ... maybe you could get them to let you go on the grounds of ill-health (with cash)? I understand your dilemma though, wrt future employers.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »