View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2015, 10:12 AM
As much as my heart goes out to you, I do feel that this should be about quality of life.
If your boy is in pain and discomfort to the point where it is making him so grumpy, you have to consider just what quality he has.
You also have to consider the consequences on your little one. Heaven forbid anything should happen there.
Hugs to you, you will know when to make the right decision.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-03-2015, 02:30 PM
sounds like the poor chap has had enough. am sure he has given you many years of happy times so it would be the kindest thing for him xxx

hardtimes xx
SpringerLass
New Member!
Female 

05-03-2015, 07:25 PM
Thanks so much for all your responses. I really appreciate them.

Reain meds - we've tried metacam and also tramadol but have now settled on Onsior. He also gets Glucosamine and Chrondroitin supplements at a high dosage (as opposed to a general maintenance dose)

With the limited exercise and this combination - he's not in pain.. But he's unhappy/unsettled. Stealing items then getting aggressive if you try to take them off him, growling and snapping when being asked to go to his crate (he goes in there for some time during the day while I'm working and also while my son is eating).

I do feel his quality of life isn't great, but I'm so scared of making that final decision and having to say goodbye. He sleeps in our bed at night and I've found myself going up to bed at least an hour or two earlier just so he will come up and lie beside me as its one of the times he seems more chilled.

I'll have a look into swimming and also the other supplements mentioned.

Thanks again.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-03-2015, 09:33 PM
Dogs are very stoical and I believe any outward sign of pain is the tip of an iceberg. Is onsiior stronger than tramadol?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2