Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
That is true, however how many people risk getting assaulted with no right to defend themselves ? have to deal with aggressive children let alone their equally aggressive parents ? It's not much reported but teachers are assaulted everyday somewhere in the UK by pupils, they have no rights to touch the children to stop the attack, a local teacher was stabbed by a pupil & ended up in court because she grabbed the boys hand to try to stop the attack !! Fortunately the court saw sense(well the jury did)& exonerated her. The child was never punished as he had"behavioural"problems that meant he didn't know what he was doing !!!!
I don't think anyone forced them into the job

They chose to do that, they chose that profession knowing the situation and knowing how things are !

I'm sorry but you cant go into a job knowing all this, then complain and want to start changing things because you want things your way.

Everyone else would get the sack if they did that.

Like I said, I have a great deal of respect for teachers, having a few in the family, but they chose to do it, they should get on with it and stop complaining.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Many teachers entered their profession a long time ago. Just because things change, they are not allowed to complain?

I know just how much the job description and the workload has changed dramatically. They should be allowed to question their pay and conditions just like every other person in a job. They have unions to take things further when they feel the need. I think the fact that they have "got on and not complained" over the last 21 years shows how dedicated they are.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Not all of them have been in the profesion for 21 years !

At my children's school, the only one there over 40 is the Headmaster ! All the Teachers are in their 30's or younger and funnily enough THIS school isn't Striking on Thursday !

Perhaps it's just the older generation of Teachers that don't want to move with the times and deal with changes ! Just a thought.
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Here are my views as a school support worker.

Obviously, schools cannot run without teachers. However, has anybody ever consider what would happen if you took away the key support staff in schools...site managers, caretakers, cleaners etc?

I can promise you that a caretaker keeps a school running. Take the support staff away and the school would shut very quickly...somebody has to be employed in a school with practical skills, it's not just education.

So, what pay rise are we offered every year? We haven't been offered anymore than 2.3% for as long a I've been in my job.

I start work at 6.30am and I finally lock the front door of my school 6.30pm. I fix things, I clean, I write risk assessments, I look after the grounds, I look after health & safety, I maintain the swimming pool, I am a first aider etc etc. I work 6 days a week as the school is used for lettings on a Saturday. I am given 4 weeks holiday a year but am lucky if I take one. I earn £17,500 per year. Don't I deserve a 10% pay rise!!????

I do not get any PPA time off every week to plan my work, I do not start at over £20,000 with guaranteed pay rises and I certainly do not get 16 weeks away from my place of work (call it what you like).

I DO NOT support the strike and neither do any other of the school support workers I know. This strike is driving a wedge between us and them!
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2008, 09:09 AM
i support the strike.

and anyone else who strikes for a decent wage to cope with the HIGH cost of living these days.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2008, 09:20 AM
I am not a teacher (but work in a University). I have several friends who are teachers, and they are striking.

I totally agree with them.

Some of my friends have been physically attacked by pupils, their cars have to be locked away in a compound for fear of vandalism, they have been followed home and threatened by parents. Yes, they chose to be a teacher, but no-one should have to work under threat of physical violence!

All they want is an increase to cope with the increased cost of living... we'd all like that! I'm fortunate in that I'm working in an environment where a strike helped me to get a larger payrise over 3 years, and I'm damn grateful for it!

Let's get this in proportion - the strike is for 1 day. Yes, it's a pain for people with children to look after. But what would you do if your child was ill for a day?? You'd have to arrange child care or take a day off work. As Fudgeley says, people (not everyone) often don't think anything of taking their children out of school for an outside event (holiday, family event etc).

Railway staff, baggage handlers etc have been on strikes for much longer.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I am not a teacher (but work in a University). I have several friends who are teachers, and they are striking.

I totally agree with them.

Some of my friends have been physically attacked by pupils, their cars have to be locked away in a compound for fear of vandalism, they have been followed home and threatened by parents. Yes, they chose to be a teacher, but no-one should have to work under threat of physical violence!

All they want is an increase to cope with the increased cost of living... we'd all like that! I'm fortunate in that I'm working in an environment where a strike helped me to get a larger payrise over 3 years, and I'm damn grateful for it!

Let's get this in proportion - the strike is for 1 day. Yes, it's a pain for people with children to look after. But what would you do if your child was ill for a day?? You'd have to arrange child care or take a day off work. As Fudgeley says, people (not everyone) often don't think anything of taking their children out of school for an outside event (holiday, family event etc).

Railway staff, baggage handlers etc have been on strikes for much longer.
Well said.
The reason there are not many Teachers left who started out 21 years ago is because of most of the things Isochick has pointed out and the fact the paperwork the stress has driven them out as said in an earlier post by me my Husband was a Teacher and in the end it made him ill and he had to leave. You will find not many of the new generation will t stick it out either.
We lived on the breadline for 4 years with 2 small children so Gorden could go and do a 4 year course to get a degree to become a Teacher and yes it was his choice but he didn't realise in the end the Goverment and the Parents who think their children can do no wrong and it is ok for their children to threaten a teacher with my dad will come and smash your face in if you try to discipline them was part of the package. Let alone all the after hours work and working through a good part of your Holiday.
I am sorry if this upsets anyone but I still after 9 years of him leaving feel very strongly about these points and wish people would show them a little more thought and support.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Just because the teachers are on strike for more pay does not mean they would not support other people for higher pay claims......

It seems that because they strike it is assumed "they feel superior" to other workers.shouldn't people work together to improve the public sector. There is a shortage of teachers in many areas due to heavy workload and low pay compared to other graduate career paths. If we want to attract good quality teachers we have to keep the pay level commensurate with those other jobs.Our education system is on the whole a great system, we need to protect it and not moan when teachers ask for our support.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Not all of them have been in the profesion for 21 years !

At my children's school, the only one there over 40 is the Headmaster ! All the Teachers are in their 30's or younger and funnily enough THIS school isn't Striking on Thursday !

Perhaps it's just the older generation of Teachers that don't want to move with the times and deal with changes ! Just a thought.
Maybe they just remember a job that they loved, teaching children and being repected for doing that....Many teachers have left because the job is changing beyond recognition. There was a time when if a child was ill you could comfort them, if they had an accident(toilet) they did not have to change themselves....If they fell over you could give them a hug.

The world has gone mad with paperwork and forms and risk-assessments and liability. Everyday for a teacher consists of as much time spent on paperwork in preparation, planning and assessment as it does on teaching.Add those admin hours onto the teaching day and you can see what they do every evening and during the holidays.....

At my children's school we have a balance of all ages of teachers and it is the same for most round here. It is very interesting to listen to those with years of experience.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-04-2008, 10:25 AM
sorry i dont agree with them strikingthey get paid alot more than our armed forces! and it works both ways i have two kids special needs one is hated by the teachers cos they dont understand his condition they other is also not liked by the teachers but has a great relationship with the deputy head who will go out of his way to stop the bullying the other teachers tell him to go away and get on with it!!! the younger childs teachers are not on strike but again they are very young and have just come from doing theyre degree. im sorry but id agree if it was firemen and nurses.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >