Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by shiba View Post
2 years ago i booked a cheap sun holiday. When i informed the headmaster i was on the receiving end of a big lecture regarding my children losing days of education. I told him the only reason i booked during school holidays was because it was so much more cheaper and just couldn't afford the same holiday in august, i was more or less told it was no excuse. My children were 8 and 10.

Haven't done this for the last 2 years, but it does seem to be one rule for one and not another. Also i am curious if anyone knows. What do teachers do on "in service days".

Because that is another 4 days per year school missed.

sorry just my 2p worth
Shiba that was the exact point I was trying to make but from the other point of view. Many parents take their children out of schools for holidays etc.They do this as it is their choice and make the decision based on the knowledge of their children. They cannot then moan about their children missing a days education.....it works both ways.

As for the teacher training days, they are exactly what they say. It is the teachers chance to catch up on training. Often one member of staff will have been on a specific course, e-safety for example, this might be a time when that training is passed on the staff as a whole.Sometimes there might be an external trainer coming in to work within the school in a practical way,p.e or design sessions for example. The days are part of their contractrual number of working days, not more days missed for the children. All schools have a legal obligation to have these days. Some schools split them into evening training sessions. These days are then taken as holidays in lieue.It is up to the school to arrange the dates for these days.The holiday dates are set at a council level and arfe beyond the control of the schools.

I hope this has helped a bit.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
My brother & SIL were both Junior school teachers & both went into school during the holidays & my friend is a school cleaner also doesn't get all the school holidays off because they have to be in when the teachers are, especially if the head etc want any changes made to the equipment.

Teachers don't just turn up at school & teach, they have to prepare lesson plans & term plans etc & this is done during the holidays either at school or at home as well on the evenings & weekends during term time
Yes, teachers have to work incredibly hard - that is the point I was trying to get across. They don't come in at 8:30 and leave at 3:15 (or whenever the children leave) - they work longer hours than most professions during term time and during the 'holidays' they are either planning or marking. Unless you have been in the teaching profession or know people in it, you can't appreciate the amount of work that goes into it

(I only excluded Primary/Junior School teachers as I don't know many ).
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 09:24 PM
It's my day off on Thursday, and tbh Charlie will just do his own thing but it is very annoying.

Since Charlie had his operation last December they have been promising him extra lessons to catch up for the weeks he missed... these would be in the PE lessons that he can't do for a year.

Has he had any? Nope

Has he had any home tutoring? Nope

So I get a letter today saying how he was 11 minutes late in from lunch and how it upsets the whole school system.

So he's 11 minutes late but has to sit for nearly two hours, out in the cold, with his brace on whilst the others run round doing PE.
His tutor had time to write the letter but no one has had time for over 4months to set him any extra work.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Teddysmum View Post
I'm a stay at home mum too. God knows what I'd do otherwise. My two went back today, well, one did as the other has croup.

What is this about a strike. Have heard nothing here in Devon, is it a national thing or just certain areas.
Snap. I haven't heard yet either, will find out tomorrow when ours go back after their Easter/Non Easter Holiday

I think what annoys me the most, is that when you apply for a job, you are fully aware of what it involves and the pay, so to then strike over it, seems rather 'spit your dummy out and stamp your feet' !

I know Teachers work hard, my Father and Aunt are both teachers, but when my Aunt has all the school holidays at home (whether it be to mark or prepare) she can still have her children home with her and not have to pay for childcare, like everyone else does ! So teachers with children make huge savings in this area, and it's something they dont consider when all the other children in the school have parents who have to fork out a fortune for it if they work !
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Snap. I haven't heard yet either, will find out tomorrow when ours go back after their Easter/Non Easter Holiday

I think what annoys me the most, is that when you apply for a job, you are fully aware of what it involves and the pay, so to then strike over it, seems rather 'spit your dummy out and stamp your feet' !

I know Teachers work hard, my Father and Aunt are both teachers, but when my Aunt has all the school holidays at home (whether it be to mark or prepare) she can still have her children home with her and not have to pay for childcare, like everyone else does ! So teachers with children make huge savings in this area, and it's something they dont consider when all the other children in the school have parents who have to fork out a fortune for it if they work !
I agree you take a job knowing the pay and conditions but you do expect that salary to increase not to keep dipping below inflation. I am not saying whether I agree with the strike because as a teacher I have not ever had to make that decision.I think it is less to do with £ in pockets and m ore to do with being valued.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 10:28 PM
I see your point, however in the majority of jobs, you are lucky to get a pay rise at all, unless you get promotion. I still see jobs offered that I was doing 10 years ago, at £1 an hour more than it was then !!!! That's ludicrous ! Most people's wages dont go up with inflation, and many, many are also below, so why should Teachers be any different !

Plus with no such thing as job security anymore, is anyone at all valued ?
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
They are really taking the P***

It's a good job I'm a full time stay at home Mum,it must be really awkward for those in full time employment.
Tell me about it!! it really plays havock with my Jeremy Kyle!!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by SarahJ View Post
Tell me about it!! it really plays havock with my Jeremy Kyle!!
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I'm actually a Trisha fan tbh by the time i have walked the dogs boiled myself an egg Trisha is on.. Jeremy is so over rated these days..
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by SarahJ View Post
I'm actually a Trisha fan tbh by the time i have walked the dogs boiled myself an egg Trisha is on.. Jeremy is so over rated these days..
Oh STOP !!!

I'm a 'Phil 'n' Fern' kinda gal myself
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >