Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 02:20 PM

Please don't forget the birds in this weather

They have nothing, absolutely nothing, and if they don't eat enough each day, they will just perish overnight.....

My birds have eaten a whole fruitcake, a whole pack of digestives, sunflower seeds, cheese straws, an old treacle tart that was out of date, all that in only TWO days! I went out this morning and bought loads of packets of those cheap basics digestives, only 25p per packet and they love them, they're full of fat, so will keep them warm, so please think of our little birdies out there so we get to see them in the Spring

From an avid tweeter!

Although I have lots and lots of blackbirds tucking in, I've just got my very first wagtail, he's constantly there, bopping about on the ground eating a bit of this and that! Lol! I've never had one of those in my garden before?
pinklizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2010, 02:25 PM
I've just put up my new bird feeder as I was worrying about the poor birds I've been giving the fat balls over the last few weeks but now they have seeds, peanuts, fat ball and a suet cake Had a robin and some sparrows so far this morning!
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Good point. I have the peanuts and bird feeders but didnt really think of cake or biscuits....i have lots so will put it out in a min! Thanks
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Oh well done you! I have a resident robin, he kind of bosses all the others about, only letting his favourites eat, and yet hardly eats much himself!

When I come downstairs first thing, all the blackbirds are sitting there with their bums on the ground, feathers puffed out, waiting for breakfast, and I'm sure they would take it out of my hands if I wanted! All the food is right outside the kitchen window, but I don't bother with the feeders, I just chuck it all out there, I know how much they'll eat morning and early afternoon, so it's all gone by dark, so the rats are left with nothing!

The blackbirds love the old apples and manky grapes, and of course, fat balls at this time of year are invaluable to them! Now why didn't I stock up on those!!!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 02:29 PM
My birds have been clearing the bird table on a daily basis.

So far they've had several slices of lightly buttered bread, about 4 apples and plenty of peanuts, fat balls and bird seed.

Just goes to show how hard it is for them to find food at the moment. I'm generally putting stuff out twice a day and they're soon clearing it. We're generally getting quite a few blackbirds, the odd robin and some others that i have no idea what they are but i do love watching them feed.

My parents have a robin that hops in through their front door and sits on the step inside the door waiting for food!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 02:31 PM
My Granmother puts a lot of stuff out - but there was sadly a Wren that had frozen ouside my gate this morning
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 02:33 PM
My garden birds are very spoilt - I put wild bird food out every day and if I run out I try all sorts - bread, cake, muesli, cornflakes.... which they turn their beaks up at.
Water is a problem - it just freezes as soon as I put it out.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Oh yes, those robins are so very tame! Ours will go in Dave's workshop when he's in there, sit on the spade and watch him work! Lol! It follows me around when I'm pottering about in the garden too (which isn't very often!)

Oh that's so sad about that wren Tassle I stopped feeding my birds a year ago, because a sparrowhawk came from nowhere, swooped down and started eating one of my blackbirds, and back then, I would usually have about 10 at any one time feeding from the ground, so I stopped, coz I couldn't bear the thought that I was leaving them there as bait! I now throw the food nearer to the big hedge, so they stand more of a chance of not being seen.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
My garden birds are very spoilt - I put wild bird food out every day and if I run out I try all sorts - bread, cake, muesli, cornflakes.... which they turn their beaks up at.
Water is a problem - it just freezes as soon as I put it out.
Mine won't eat the normal mix, they only like sunflower hearts Well, we are in Findon ya know!!!

I had a big plastic bowl of water out there filled to the brim, and when we got back from our walk it had frozen over, so I stamped my foot on it to break the ice...... yeah, you guessed it!!!!! Soaked!!!!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Oh yes, those robins are so very tame! Ours will go in Dave's workshop when he's in there, sit on the spade and watch him work! Lol! It follows me around when I'm pottering about in the garden too (which isn't very often!)

Oh that's so sad about that wren Tassle I stopped feeding my birds a year ago, because a sparrowhawk came from nowhere, swooped down and started eating one of my blackbirds, and back then, I would usually have about 10 at any one time feeding from the ground, so I stopped, coz I couldn't bear the thought that I was leaving them there as bait! I now throw the food nearer to the big hedge, so they stand more of a chance of not being seen.
My sister has a tame one in her garden too so she tells my 5 year old nephew that the robin is Santa's helper and watches him to make sure he's being good!!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »