Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
no i haven't and neither do i have to. funnily enough education isn't always about actually experiencing something yourself.

ah the good old patronising comment. if all else fails...
Seems to be the case with you at least.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2009, 01:28 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
This is a pointless and fruitless (no pun intended!) discussion ... I am purely making an analogy here, I didn't think I had to dot the i's and cross the t's !! Let's assume for whatever reason there are no edible plants ... we are back in the days of pre-farming, when there would have been a few berries, fruits and nuts to eat at special times of the year, but otherwise we were meat eaters. I am merely saying that the veggies would not remain veggie for very long ... otherwise, they would be dead.

Cannibalism is a completely different story ... it is a no-no in all societies simply because if you eat the flesh of your own kind, you will end up with dreadful diseases and madness - akin to feeding cows to cows causing Creutzfeld Jacob disease (sorry, I don't know how to spell that) ... nothing to do with the rights and wrongs of eating your own kind. If it were perfectly OK for human to eat human, with no ill effects, then humans would eat human meat rather than die.

To say that if someone raped your hypothetical daughter you would be angry is just such a ridiculous understatement as to be unbelievable !! If your mother or other female relative were raped then, the rage you would feel, unless you are made of stone, would be all-consuming and murderous. It would be an instinctive response to the harming of someone near and dear to you, and is purely natural and should not be sneered at. It is part of what makes us a particular species of animal known as homo sapiens.
Maybe you are finding it pointless as you refuse to see anything for what it is, other than your interpretation of blood lust as I can not agree with you and think you mistake everything as 'blood lust'. Others seem to agree your interpretation brings up a joy of killing, this seems to be quite acceptable to you and that is beyond me. It is your blind sighted view that is pointless unless you can see other things come into play it is not for the joy of violence or blood shed
here is the meaning of blood lust
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...8151&dict=CALD
Ummmm there have been people around thousands of years before society as we know it existed, you can still take courses here today on Aboriginal culture where you go out into the wild and are shown how to find food many are roots and berries and leaves. And nomadic traditions would come in to place dont you think?
Survival is one thing and torture for profit, is another, do you not agree?
This is the barbaric trade that is going on for a bit of fur. Is that not wrong?
Cannibalism has occurred and has been used as a means of survival.
To seek revenge is not blood lust again, your thoughts on this are too closed minded for anything else other than 'blood lust' Everything that involves killing to you is 'blood lust' it is not the case if it is for survival it is just that, to kill for the sake of it and no other reason and be able to smile about it that is blood lust. If those people in the video can live with themselves after what they did to that feeling animal then they are truly people to be scared of as they have no remorse for making an animal suffer for profit and unnecessary.
Do you not see that somethings based on survival do not bring joy but are required to survive and no joy is taken in it. American Indians killed buffalo but did they do it for fun, no they didn't, did the English yes they slaughtered them to almost exstiction. There is a big difference.

Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
That isn't bloodlust either. Bloodlust is a desire for bloodshed. I don't see that given your scenario, if someone who was starving to death made the decision to kill and eat an animal, they would desire the blood of that animal on their hands.
well said agree

Fine, you are a super human being then, so far advanced above the rest of your own species then that you would most likely never survive in a situation where society fell apart, and the world as we know it now was no more.
Not super human, human and one that is allowed free thinking.

No, they wouldn't. Please do not speak for me. My imagination is as fertile as anyone's. If I was starving, whether I was a meat eater or not, it would give me no pleasure at all to kill an animal and I most certainly would not be feeling any lust for its blood. If I did it, I would be doing it because I felt I had no choice in order to survive and it would be with a huge amount of regret and sadness, tinged with horror, at what I'd had to do.
again the interpretation you have for blood lust Gnasher is mixed in with survival and here is another one trying to get you to see the difference

What do you think we humans are if not animals? Plants?

We are animals, the same as a dog, a cat or a horse.

I did not say I get a kick out of killing. You are putting words into my mouth. What I am saying is that when it comes down to survival, we are NOT all different, we are all exactly the same. We would ALL kill by whatever means we had at our disposal to survive ... and if we were dying of hunger, we would revel in the fact that we had managed to kill some poor unfortunate animal in order for us to survive ... if you say otherwise, then you know absolutely nothing about human physiology and biology.
No you say blood lust find the definition on it and see you are saying you are getting a kick out of killing, that is what i have been trying to say to you, your interpretation of it is wrong, open up and see that not everything is blood lust.
We are not animals the same as a dog, cat or horse. I am thinking you dont fully understand human abilities compare to animals.
For starter humans have a higher thinking ability than that of another animal, we have free thinking, have the ability to know right from wrong, to think of consequences to our actions, make up a moral stand point, other animals do things out of instinct or conditioning, humans do have the nature vs nuture debate too but we can add that we can think things through, I don't think animals can do it to the extent we do otherwise we might be the ones on the leash or in the zoo. In that being said I have said for many years we may have higher thinking but that we are ones that have the ability to inflict more damage to our own kind, other animals and to the environment and just because we have a higher brain ability does not mean we put it to good use and are destroying ourselves and the earth even though we need it to sustain life.

I'm sorry, I know this is off the main topic.

Since the subject has come up, regarding fox hunting - please can someone show me absolute, irrefutable proof that foxes do not suffer terror, anxiety, stress, pain or maiming when being dug out, chased or set upon by hunters and/or dogs?
I would like to see some evidence too, it is easy for those against it to increase the hype on the pain and those who are for it say it is not painful or cruel. But to be chased and running for your life and in most cases killed all for the name of sport I find quite horrific in any circumstance.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2009, 10:06 AM
I used to be pro hunting, but am now anti hunting and have been for years. One thing that made me very anti was how cruel some hunt members can be - to humans.

The wonderful photographer of wildlife, Eric Ashby, was persecuted by the local hunt for a long time when he tried to stop them from crossing his land. They made his last years on the forest a misery - this was all local news and knowledge, there is no doubt that this occurred. Dead animals were left on his doorstep and so on.

I've seen video footage (I do not believe it was edited) of a fox being dug out and then, alive, chucked to hounds. It was dead presumably within a short time, but it was not given to one hound and was not shot before hand.

It is almost impossible to envisage a tired chased fox being caught by one hound and killed instantly. Depends on how the pack is running, it could happen - but just as likely for one hound to grab it and the others to pile on so that there is no one hound who can despatch the creature quickly. I suspect one scenario is as likely as the other...

Ethologically, foxes are not evolved to run for miles, so it's not surprising they suffer when forced to do so.

Wys
x
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I used to be pro hunting, but am now anti hunting and have been for years. One thing that made me very anti was how cruel some hunt members can be - to humans.

The wonderful photographer of wildlife, Eric Ashby, was persecuted by the local hunt for a long time when he tried to stop them from crossing his land. They made his last years on the forest a misery - this was all local news and knowledge, there is no doubt that this occurred. Dead animals were left on his doorstep and so on.

I've seen video footage (I do not believe it was edited) of a fox being dug out and then, alive, chucked to hounds. It was dead presumably within a short time, but it was not given to one hound and was not shot before hand.

It is almost impossible to envisage a tired chased fox being caught by one hound and killed instantly. Depends on how the pack is running, it could happen - but just as likely for one hound to grab it and the others to pile on so that there is no one hound who can despatch the creature quickly. I suspect one scenario is as likely as the other...

Ethologically, foxes are not evolved to run for miles, so it's not surprising they suffer when forced to do so.

Wys
x
good post and you raise some interesting points. i have seen similar footage and literature regarding the often violent death of the hunted fox.

i find it hard to understand how anyone can call themselves an animal lover and yet actively participate in hunting.

from the information i have seen and researched on the subject, as with most things, you get the extremists. so it is not just the fox who is the victim in this. the foxhounds can often be left with life threatening injuries following a hunt. horses too will be pushed to the limit as the 'thrill' of the chase takes over. some hunters will stop at nothing until they have sought out their prey and seen it ripped to pieces.

and these same people will view squirels, rats, pigeons, crows, magpies etc as vermin and in their eyes these creatures need to be destroyed. i suppose that is the major difference. i feel every animal has a right to life and i don't see that we have the right to take that away just because it may make our lives a little easier.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2009, 11:44 AM
good post and you raise some interesting points. i have seen similar footage and literature regarding the often violent death of the hunted fox.

i find it hard to understand how anyone can call themselves an animal lover and yet actively participate in hunting.

from the information i have seen and researched on the subject, as with most things, you get the extremists. so it is not just the fox who is the victim in this. the foxhounds can often be left with life threatening injuries following a hunt. horses too will be pushed to the limit as the 'thrill' of the chase takes over. some hunters will stop at nothing until they have sought out their prey and seen it ripped to pieces.

and these same people will view squirels, rats, pigeons, crows, magpies etc as vermin and in their eyes these creatures need to be destroyed. i suppose that is the major difference. i feel every animal has a right to life and i don't see that we have the right to take that away just because it may make our lives a little easier.
Woohoo, you can call me by name Its directed at me. And yes I shoot vermin regularly too.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2009, 02:57 PM
the facts are there lozzi in black and white as to why foxhunting should be banned. i have yet to see any facts from borderdawn expect her personal views. funny hey!
i kow what you mean, would be interesting to hear some proof that they die within a second

no i haven't and neither do i have to. funnily enough education isn't always about actually experiencing something yourself.

ah the good old patronising comment. if all else fails...
i agree, some people think you have to witness something yourself in the flesh to understand it... i feel i can do that by reading and watching footage.

Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post

Wys
x
excellent post! i agree.

i agree with that all, and to me, that is no animal lover! as for injuries etc to the hounds and horses, i found this information.

In an average fox hunting season:

Foxes killed: 15,000 (36% by digging up by terriermen)
Humans killed (in accidents): 3
Pups and hounds killed: 6,000
Veterinary fees for horses: £15 million
Injuries to hounds: 1,000
Injuries to those on foot (including sabs): 500
Total blood spilled: 1 ton plus
Policing costs (paid by taxpayers): Over £1 million.
that is way to high!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

31-12-2009, 03:39 PM
I watched it.

Is there a particular reason for skinning them whilst they're still alive ???
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I watched it.

Is there a particular reason for skinning them whilst they're still alive ???
I would image its cheaper than killing them first and no blood on the skin. Economics I expect.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2009, 03:46 PM
I'm sorry, I know this is off the main topic.

Since the subject has come up, regarding fox hunting - please can someone show me absolute, irrefutable proof that foxes do not suffer terror, anxiety, stress, pain or maiming when being dug out, chased or set upon by hunters and/or dogs?
No-one can ... because of course the fox does suffer all those emotions. I don't think even the most avid hunt supporter could claim that the fox suffers only very briefly. It was the fact that hounds do not dispatch a fox quickly, but tear it apart, that caused me to think again about being a hunt supporter. Having never been in at a kill, I had no idea that dogs do not always kill immediately - frequently their prey is torn apart, or eaten alive.

Having said all that, I still consider this death to be preferable to a much longer, slower more lingering death at the hands of badly placed lead shot.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by Emrad View Post
Maybe you are finding it pointless as you refuse to see anything for what it is, other than your interpretation of blood lust as I can not agree with you and think you mistake everything as 'blood lust'. Others seem to agree your interpretation brings up a joy of killing, this seems to be quite acceptable to you and that is beyond me. It is your blind sighted view that is pointless unless you can see other things come into play it is not for the joy of violence or blood shed
here is the meaning of blood lust
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...8151&dict=CALD
Ummmm there have been people around thousands of years before society as we know it existed, you can still take courses here today on Aboriginal culture where you go out into the wild and are shown how to find food many are roots and berries and leaves. And nomadic traditions would come in to place dont you think?
Survival is one thing and torture for profit, is another, do you not agree?
This is the barbaric trade that is going on for a bit of fur. Is that not wrong?
Cannibalism has occurred and has been used as a means of survival.
To seek revenge is not blood lust again, your thoughts on this are too closed minded for anything else other than 'blood lust' Everything that involves killing to you is 'blood lust' it is not the case if it is for survival it is just that, to kill for the sake of it and no other reason and be able to smile about it that is blood lust. If those people in the video can live with themselves after what they did to that feeling animal then they are truly people to be scared of as they have no remorse for making an animal suffer for profit and unnecessary.
Do you not see that somethings based on survival do not bring joy but are required to survive and no joy is taken in it. American Indians killed buffalo but did they do it for fun, no they didn't, did the English yes they slaughtered them to almost exstiction. There is a big difference.

well said agree

Not super human, human and one that is allowed free thinking.

again the interpretation you have for blood lust Gnasher is mixed in with survival and here is another one trying to get you to see the difference

No you say blood lust find the definition on it and see you are saying you are getting a kick out of killing, that is what i have been trying to say to you, your interpretation of it is wrong, open up and see that not everything is blood lust.
We are not animals the same as a dog, cat or horse. I am thinking you dont fully understand human abilities compare to animals.
For starter humans have a higher thinking ability than that of another animal, we have free thinking, have the ability to know right from wrong, to think of consequences to our actions, make up a moral stand point, other animals do things out of instinct or conditioning, humans do have the nature vs nuture debate too but we can add that we can think things through, I don't think animals can do it to the extent we do otherwise we might be the ones on the leash or in the zoo. In that being said I have said for many years we may have higher thinking but that we are ones that have the ability to inflict more damage to our own kind, other animals and to the environment and just because we have a higher brain ability does not mean we put it to good use and are destroying ourselves and the earth even though we need it to sustain life.

I would like to see some evidence too, it is easy for those against it to increase the hype on the pain and those who are for it say it is not painful or cruel. But to be chased and running for your life and in most cases killed all for the name of sport I find quite horrific in any circumstance.

Whatever. I can't be bothered to argue any more ... I've got some serious partying to do !!

I know that were I ever in the situation where I was dying of starvation and for whatever reason there were no plant food sources available, and my only choice of eating was killing an animal, I would kill it with my bare hands if I had to and celebrate with a war dance. If this makes me a cruel, cold blood killer, revelling in the death of some poor innocent animal, then so be it, I am The Devil Incarnate for wanting to save my life and live at the expense of a helpless animal's death.

Now ladies, I think it might be Group Hug Time ... happy new year and all that?

I really hope that this next decade is better than the current one.

A VERY HAPPY HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL DOGSEY-ITES !!
Closed Thread
Page 17 of 34 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »