Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ali
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2008, 04:57 PM

Lameness and restlessness

Obi went off on an adventure today after a deer. He has been so good with his recalls coming away from rabbits and birds if he started chasing. He was away for about an hour and I thought we had lost him for good. He is shaken up just as we are!

Anyway he is back but is uncomfortable on his back legs and seems to be lame from one shoulder, also is not wanting any treats or food. He is also a bit restless and keeps getting up and moving. I took him for a wee and he stopped half way up the lane, (only about 10 paces)

Would you get him to the vet today or wait? There is no outward signs of any injury he's just not right though.

Looks like it back to the longline from now on! Just when he was doing so well!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Sorry for the set back. I'm sure the hard work will pay off in the end
Ali
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Sorry for the set back. I'm sure the hard work will pay off in the end

Thanks, I'm sure we will....maybe one day.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Gosh, I bet that was a bit scarey for you, glad to hear he's safe and sound.

As for whether to visit the vets normally I always err on the side of caution when considering whethere to go to, but I think you just have to weigh up just how uncomfortable he is.

I'm sorry, I don't know how old Obi is, but is it possible that he has mild arthritis - if so, a fast chase and then an hour of running around trying to find you will have aggrivated this. Hoki's hydrotherapist was telling me that when a dog tries to protect his back legs (e.g. arthritis), it is often the shoulders that suffer because they push their weight forward.

Hopefully though he's just worked his muscles harder than they're used to and is just stiff (ooh I know that feeling).

What ever it turns out to be, I hope he is soon on the mend.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Personally, and this is purely from a personal point of view, I would get him to the vet.

Good luck - please keep us posted in whatever you do, and Obi's progress

xx
Ali
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Well just after I wrote my last post Obi promptly threw up all over the siting room floor! He also wouldnt eat anything at all not even roasted chicken. So off to the vets we went!

We have just got back and all seems ok, his heart rate is a bit slow but his coluor is good and temp is not too bad but at this higher end of normal.

He is still really mopey and wouldnt get in or out of the car and still will not eat.

We have Metacam to give him if he gets uncomfortable and just have to monitor him andtake him back.

So although Obi is fine mt bank balance certainly is not but at least I will get to sleep tonight!

Thank you for all your replies

Ali and Obi