Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 06:19 PM

might have found a lump?

indie just came to sit on my lap, and i just noticed there appears to be a lump on her belly. it seems to be directly where her belly button would be, but ive never noticed it before.
its really hard, and isnt attached to the skin. its about the size of a pea i guess.

does anyone know what this could be?
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
indie just came to sit on my lap, and i just noticed there appears to be a lump on her belly. it seems to be directly where her belly button would be, but ive never noticed it before.
its really hard, and isnt attached to the skin. its about the size of a pea i guess.

does anyone know what this could be?
It could be a little umbilical hernia. Some dogs are left with these when the mother rips the umbilical cord too hard. If you think it is something new then I would take her to the vet but I would imagine it's more than likely the hernia and theres no need for any action unless it is an open one in which case they stitch it, (doesn't sound like that to me). Hope this helps.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 06:45 PM
ive got her booked into the vets at 9:30am tomorrow. hopefully its nothing, think id rather get it checked. im not sure if ive noticed it before or not. i seem to remember noticing it a while ago, but its bigger now.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Could be a hernia. My CKCS had a hernia in the exact same place. It was months before I even noticed that she had it. With hernias they are not always visable so they can go undetected for a while. My vet removed my CKCS's hernia when I had her spayed as it did cause her a few probs.

Let us know what it is and how you get on.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 09:18 PM
do hernias have to be removed? indie is pretrified of the vets, so even taking her there is hard enough.
what sorts of problems can dogs have with them
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 09:52 PM
if its huge then its best repaired.....breeders get them repaired if they are a certain size before they mate their girlie

Bonnie has a small hernia the vet wasn't concerned before she had her litters so we left it
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 10:24 PM
My vet told me that some hernias can be left, others need repairing, and then others need removing. A hernia is made up of 2 parts, the part that is like a tight rubber ring and the part that is the flesh. Basically, the flesh pushes through the ring and thats when the hernia pertrudes and is visable to us.
The hernia can be large or very small. My cavvy had a quite large one just above her tummy button. I asked for it to be removed and my vet said yes it would be the best option. Usually the vet pushes the fleshy bit back in and stitches the ring. Thats the repair. My cavvy had hers removed altogether and was a tricky job.
It was removed as it was attatched to the stomach muscle and everytime she stretched too fast it pulled and she would yelp out loud in pain. It also was quite large. It was very uncomfortable for her and i just knew it needed removing so i had it done whilst i had her spayed.

It may not be a hernia, dont panic. Hope all goes well at the vets. Do let us know what it is.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
It could be a little umbilical hernia. Some dogs are left with these when the mother rips the umbilical cord too hard. If you think it is something new then I would take her to the vet but I would imagine it's more than likely the hernia and theres no need for any action unless it is an open one in which case they stitch it, (doesn't sound like that to me). Hope this helps.
Hi Jenny I agree with Scorpio , it sounds like an umbilical hernia and if this is the case many dogs manage them without any treatment at all .

The other type of hernia which is a breach of the abdominal wall sometimes requires a small operation.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 10:10 AM
just got back from the vets. vet says its just her belly button so nothing to worry about.
indie doesnt half make a scene tho.
this is first time we;ve been to this vet cos we moved, and he did her vacs while we were there, did them no fuss at all! unlike our last vet who had 3 nurses holding indie down and taking 4 attempts and making her panic. so i was really impressed
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Glad to hear that Indie is okay and that she seems to like her new vet
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >