Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by jess View Post
hi rachel, what a useful post!

Thanks for putting in your experience as someone who has 'recently' changed. People often ask me 'how much' and it is hard, as like you said I do it by sight, but i can tell from week to week who needs a little more or a little less. I think you just gain confidence as you go... are you a member of canine health concern too?
I really never ever thought I would be able to do by sight and only do a recalculation if someone is a wee bit chubbier or looking slim then it's just a quick check on the amount!!!

I'm afraid I'm not a member of a canine health concern - sorry!
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2006, 09:23 AM
don't have to apologise! Catherine O'Driscoll who started the org. 15 years ago first brought Ian Billinghurst and Tom Lonsdale to the UK. She has been researching vaccinations and natural feeding through the ups and downs, and is now finally being recognised (she has recently written a few articles for Dogs Today mag.)
If you are a member she sends out the newest info. from her researching and speaking to vets and scientists.
Very interesting... she is also a homeopathy type into natural healing, and sends out info about useful herbs and things....
Not sure how many natural feeders don't vaccinate and try to use natural healing, but i have a feeling it's quite a few...
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2006, 11:37 AM
a cleaver!! I totally need one, where do you get a cleaver... B&Q? they'll be thinking i have killed someone and am chopping and hiding the evidence!
haha, if I need it, I have an axe On the day that we bought the axe we also got a bucket and mop (cuz we needed one!) can you imagine what they thought?

I am not on the britbarf list, how do i join up, i tried to google it but it came up with a bunch of other forums...
Hi Jess I will pm you the link
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-10-2006, 06:07 PM
Scottish Mags this is not a diet I use but may help you its from the Leerburg Kennel (Working GSD's) http://leerburg.com/diet2.htm a good guide for those new to it.

Hi Jess,
I used to be a member of CHC and helped with the research by providing full medical records of my dogs, this was at the begining, it was due to health concerns that I switched to raw feeding, unfortunately I lost contact details when I moved house 7yr ago. Someone is going to send me details of the seminar in Preston (February) so hopefully can rejoin. I am a member of Brit Barf, but under a different name yahoo wouldnt let me log on with usual name dont know why?
If any one needs advice on raw feeding I am happy to help.
Pam
Scottish Mags
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2006, 06:14 PM
Thanks Jess got your PM.* Mys2 just joined it now Brit Barf...must have been in the wrong one..Thanks for the link peoples.
Malady and *Mys* with Axe and cleaver ....I will join you when I am more experienced .....Gosh ! better keep a safe distance , and a mop and Bucket . I know this is a VERY serious thread but I couldnt help but chuckle at the thought of you with all your ..ummmm well what would you call them ..AH ! necessities for barfing
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2006, 11:02 PM
lol ...........I've had people knock on the door a few times, and I pop round the side of the house, cleaver in one hand, body part in another...................god knows what they are 'really' thinking.............lol

They are really handy, just remember to keep them sharpened !!!
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2006, 11:31 PM
LOL...In the spring a friend of mine a friend dropped off a dead sheep (fallen stock) for me to butcher for the dogs.
It was quite cold as I recall, and our 'quick coffee' had lingered on, so by the time she left the light was fading fast.

For quickness I hove the sheep up onto the garden table, and quickly plucked the fleece (by now I was querying in my mind exactly how long this beast had been dead), removed the head and the lower legbones, so it perched atop my garden table, like some sort of grotesque horror film prop.

Now my friend wasnt sure what the sheep had died of (they are as likely to drop dead because it starts raining as they are from disease ) , but by the look of its bloated belly, I had the feeling I was just about to find out.

The moment I opened it up to disembowel it, was the same moment I discovered it had died of a perforated gut (luckily this isnt smelly-web) -not nice. It was also the precise my new neighbours from across the fields had decided to drop in and introduce themselves! Having been unable to get an answer at the front, and on hearing someone out the back, they wandered round....only to be confronted by the sight of me cussing the loss of light, wielding a large knife, eyes watering (thanks to the the smell) with semi digested, putrid stomach contents dripping onto the floor.

Oddly enough I havent seen them since.......although I later found out they are vegans. Oooops.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2006, 11:37 PM
lol...........classic !

A whole sheep, how lucky, my lot would have loved that
Cavlova
New Member!
Female 

07-11-2006, 03:58 PM
I feed my Cavaliers raw tripe and they thrive on it. I couldnt get weight on them with kibbles becasue they just wouldnt eat them with any enthusiasm.

I dont feed them the raw bones for the reasons already discussed, but they get dog biscuits, and occasionally cooked bones to chew on, along with vegetables and fruit if they like it - not all seem to!

I guess I'm not feeding a technically true 'BARF' diet, but it seesm to suit my lot. They all have lovely silky shiny coats and bright eyes and are full of energy, as well as having nicely covered 'frames'.

I have fed it to pregnant bitches and during lactation as well as introducing a little raw tripe into puppies' diets as they wean onto solid food - all with no bad effects, so far.
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Cooked bones?
Do you mean cooked as in lamb bones, chicken bones etc or do you mean those sterile bone thingies?
Page 16 of 20 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 > Last »