Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dreamaday
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2010, 08:19 PM

Foster dog with flea allergy, help!

I have fostered a dog this evening!!

I took Jasper to the vets for a lump and some scaly skin, while I was there I found out a drunk guy had brought his dog in about 4pm and wanted him pts, just didnt want him anymore!!

After a long chat with the vet, I said i would take Crush home for the night and foster him short term.

To cut a long story very short at this point, he has a really bad flea allergy and has lost the fur around his tail and back end. The vet gave me a Stronghold spot on for him, but he is chewing himself to pieces here, I really feel for him and wondered if there is anything I can put on him to ease the itch, I can run to the supermarket if necessary!!

Have phoned the vet at home but so far no answer!

He is a collie spaniel cross and approx 6 years old, seems like a sweet boy, bless him
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Hi, first off: how lovely of you to step in the way you have!!! Thankyou!!!

The spot on should work really well pretty quickly... I have a cat with the same allergy and within one or two days acter spot on his skin get's right back to normal... It's probably too late by now to buy anything (sorry, I only just logged on) but if you have any calamine lotion... That can bring relief... If you don't have any, you could try this for tonight... Soak a handfull of porridge oats (quaker's or any other, if you don't have any maybe a neighbor does) in some lukewarm water for about 10 mins... Sieve the oats and then squeeze out excess moisture into a seperate bowl... This moisture will be slightly slimy... That's how it should be... Then use this slimy stuff as a lotion... Not too much... What it does is dry up the moisture in his rash, thus making it less itchy (works wonders for chickenpox as well...when the calamine lotion has run out ) I would only use it for tonight as it does dry out the skin... but it can give him relief until tomorrow when you can get some proper stuff...

Good luck tonight, and once again thanks for helping this boy!!!
dreamaday
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks Cintvelt, never heard of the porridge oats, I have some quick micro stuff in the cupbaord I think, but its prob got sugar in it!

Vet got back to me and suggested piriton, dont have any, so we agreed on diphenhydramine instead, another antihistamine (nytol!)

He has chewed himself raw now and is going insene with the itch!!
I read about sudocrem on here recently for grazes etc, do you think that might help, I can run to tescos!!
Were just getting ready for bed, tried him in the cage but started whining so going to try him on the landing with Jas, although I suspect his chewing and scratching will keep us awake!
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2010, 09:30 PM
The microwave stuff is ok... It'll probably have him licking instead of chewing which at least will do less harm (if not perfect by any means) Sudocream may help but my only problem with that is that it's pretty greasy, which means it will leave a greasy film over the rash, making the uptake of a proper lotion tomorrow a tad more difficult (unless you intend to shampoo him inbetween ) ... If I were you I would (if at all possible) leave him well alone for tonight.. He's been through enough for one day and this itching has probably been part of his life for quite a while if he's lost hair... He doesn't need another "new" experience with a realtive stranger rubbing some strange stuff into his fur... Then tomorrow get some good calming lotion .... However... If his itching keeps all of you out of your sleep.... Try the porridge stuff

good luck, and please let us know how he gets on
dreamaday
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-08-2010, 05:08 AM
Morning,

Cintvelt, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!!
The porridge stuff had an almost immediate effect! he had one more little chew then settled for the night, it may have been a combination of the antihistamines kicking in, either way, he left himself alone pretty much!!

I did however wake to hear him peeing on the towel he slept on, on the landing at 4.45am, lil beggar!!
Just like Jas when he arrived, he is drinking gallons, with the expected results!!

Just back from a run round the park, dogs seem to be getting along ok, Crush is a little growly but then Jas is a bloomin boisterous oaf! wish Jas walked half as well as Crush

Must rush, at work very soon, taking an hour out later to take Crush back to the vets for doggy daycare! and hopefully some treatment to calm his itch!