View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-01-2006, 12:25 PM
will do going to the health shop on friday to but some walnut.........sunflower seed etc.
thanks for your help guys i feel comfortable in the knowledge your'll help me and answer silly questions.
jusat want to do the right thing with her.
go to get some stuff done....lol
roll on saturday!!!!!
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2006, 12:39 PM
parrots sexually mature around 5 years old
so you dont, have to worry about eggs for a while

be very careful giving sunflower seeds leo
they are known as unhealthly
we give them but in moderation

lots of fresh fruit and veg
you will soon find out what she doe,s and dont, like
molly our cockatoo will only eat melon

maybe a good idea would be to get her a harness and start training her with it while she is so young
then you will be able to take her out and about with you

a really fab website for parrot stuff is
http://www.24parrot.com
and you can get a catalogue sent too
we buy most of our stuff from here
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Mine don't get a lot of sunflower seeds either. The avian vet that we went to last year reccomended more pusles in their diets so they now have a portion of chopped soaked pulses each day as well as their other food
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-01-2006, 01:22 PM
ok so they are just now and again........
been on the site jacs breeder and het reccommened them that is where i got the calcivet from.
waiting for the new brochure to come out so i am now on the maining list as a customer.
i have looked at the harnesses but un sure which to buy......he doesn't seem to think she will grow much more so would 1 for africans be ok and adjust to fit?
he said he tried an harness but he couldn't get on with it but i don't know if it was on her or not.
plus is it true they are scared easy with noise etc?
any perticular pulses het? would i be able to get them from the health shop?
so far she eats walnuts,hazelnuts,apple,banana,carrot,sweetcorn.
i have got a list of things to try her on like different fruit and veg.
he also said plain biscuits for bran.
i am hoping it might get the kids to eat more fruit as well......lol
what age are they when they go through the different stages of growing up?????
also i asked about breeding times so if her behaviour changes i can understand why,,,,time of the yr etc.
he told me it depends on the birds i know its a long way off but at least i would know its down to that rather than illness etc.
if she follows a pattern when is it approx for the average?
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2006, 01:48 PM
yes leo a harness for a african grey will be fine
they are really adjustable so can be used from young till fully grown
we train all our babies with them as it is much easier to take them out and about with one on rather than a carrier
yes she will be nervous of noises but will learn to accept different things as she gets older
we introduce all ours to the hoover,telly,kids,dogs and general stuff at a very early age and then it don,t bother them
we notice a difference in most of birds around breeding season
they get abit more touchy and scream abit more than normal
this normally starts to happen around easter time
but you won,t have to worry too much for a few years as she is too young

i,m not sure if it is the same with african greys but macaws never really grow up
jaffa is 12 now but is around 5 in kiddie years
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-01-2006, 02:07 PM
thanks jacs.
i think i am trying to get to know too much too soon......lol
i shouls chill out and just enjoy i guess but the more i know the better i will be for her. if that makes sence.
do you think it would be ok for her to be introduced to the dogs at a week or so?
as she doesn't live with dogs and although they live with the love birds and don't really show any interest in them i don't want to rush it and any of them get hurt.
after all the pups aren't little.
i thought when she is comfy with us introduce them 1 at a time on a lead etc so we have control and allow them to look at her etc.
it would be great if they all mixed happy together but i don't want any of them hurt.
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Marie I use a mix of Blackeyed beans, Mung beans and chick peas. As per the vets instructions I soak them for 24 hours, drain them and then put a small handful in the food processor along with a piece of carrot and a piece of apple and chop it so it is still quite chunky. They get a dollop of this with some tinned sweetcorn mixed in which they love. The soaked beans will keep for a couple of days although you must wash them thouroughly before using them, they will start to sprout but thats ok. In other places I have read about this diet...some people actually boil the beans as well. My parrots just get this as part of their diet.

jackie ? what do you think to the beans and pulse thing, do you use them?The avian vet I used swears by it and it certainly does them no harm,
I feed that, plus a bowl of fresh fruit and veg each morning, a small amount of parrot mix and also a small amount of African formula Pretty bird. Mine seem to prefer this way of eating ie a good selection of different things , but I know opinions on parrot diets vary
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2006, 02:38 PM
leo you will enjoy her and you will learn as you go along
but am always here should you get stuck
if you want my home number pm me and i,ll give it incase you ever need advice or just wanna ask anything

i,m sure the dogs will be fine with her
it is strange but somehow dogs know that the bird has a very powerful beak and can do alot of harm
your dogs are fine with your love birds so i,m sure the new bird won,t phase them too much

het we have never used pulses tbh
when we brought all our birds off the previous owner they were just on seed
we have changed it over to fruit and veg and better quality seed,but they are quite old birds and don,t seem to wanna try new stuff
but all out handreared babies are fed pellets and never seed
i think pulses are very good for them
we do give corn on the cob quite alot but that is about all the new stuff they will try
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-01-2006, 04:08 PM
course i'll have your number jacs that would be great if you don't mind. you might not think so when i ask silly question.....lol
but thats what worries me the love birds have never flown around them so i don't know if they will think its a game.
i hope they learn not to mess but tob isn't the brighest of sparks.
well i have got the pretty bird grey food for her to be safe.... sooner know shes getting all she needs.
thanks het between you and jacs i'm learning more all the time.
will give it a go.......... pulse mix it can't hurt to see if she likes it.
thats it with me het being new its knowing what is ok and what isn't.
i don't want to give her things she can't have..... as diet is a big thing for any animal.
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2006, 04:17 PM
have pm,ed you leo
i,m sure the dogs will be fine
harley had never seen a bird till he came to live with us and belive it or not when they are out their cages flying around he runs off and hides
he really don,t like it
but has never shown any nastiness towards any of them
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >