Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2012, 12:16 AM

KC will no longer register merle to merle matings

Dunno if this has been posted before but I cant see it

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/4303

Good news indeed - well done KC

Following a recommendation from the Dog Health Group, the General Committee has agreed that, with effect from 1st January 2013, the Kennel Club will no longer accept the registration of any puppies for any breed that are produced as a result of mating two merle (dapple) coloured parents together.

The merle mutation is a dominant mutation that causes the characteristic merle or dapple colour pattern in a number of breeds. It is also known that there can be associated health risks in those dogs that have the merle mutation.

Many breeds have lived with the merle gene in their population and have avoided merle to merle matings for many years. Some breeds have successfully requested formal banning of such matings and the Kennel Club will not now accept any litter for registration where both parents are merle for Shetland Sheepdogs, Dachshunds (all varieties) and Beaucerons (although these are called tricolour).

In the breeds where merle is proven to not occur naturally, the Kennel Club will not register any dogs that are merle coloured – these include Chihuahuas (Long and Smooth), Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Bull Terriers and Bull Terriers (Miniature). In addition, the Kennel Club will not register litters from Chihuahuas where one parent is merle coloured.

Merle patterning, patches of lighter colour appearing in the coat, is the result of the M gene in the dog. There are two alleles of this gene: MM (merle) and M+ (non-merle), with merle (MM) being dominant to non-merle (M+). In some breeds, the effect of the merle allele (MM) is termed ‘dapple’.

Unfortunately, the effects of the merle allele (MM) are not confined to coat patterning and we know that there can be an increased risk of impaired hearing and sight associated with it, particularly in dogs that are homozygous for MM (dogs that carry two copies of the MM allele).

Due to the associated health concerns, it is not believed that serious breeders would intentionally mate a merle to merle but the commencement of this restriction in January 2013 allows breeders time to readjust any planned breeding programmes.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2012, 05:32 AM
Small steps in the right direction!!!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2012, 05:48 AM
I did wonder why they'd given them about 7 months grace to continue the practice before implementing this ban?

If it's 'bad' - it's bad.
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2012, 08:03 AM
Excellent
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2012, 08:07 AM
This is a VERY good thing!!!! I am seriously impressed. Hopefully that will follow here, but not likely.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I did wonder why they'd given them about 7 months grace to continue the practice before implementing this ban?

Yup and I wonder why a limited number of breeds, but little steps in the right direction
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2012, 11:00 AM
This is wonderful news.

I personally know a few BCs (rescues) who are blind, deaf, or both as a result of such breeding.

Very, very pleased.
rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Does anyone know if this includes a ban on Harlequin x Harlequin, as that is a modified merle and just as problematic for pups produced?

Ruby
Lulusmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post

Your guess is as good as mine. It wont stop the BYB who dont register..
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Good, it's a start!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >