View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2004, 12:36 AM
how do i know the difference between normal teenage behaviour cos he is a little sod at the moment and behaviour which may alter with castration?
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2004, 12:39 AM
There's no garuatee that Max's behaviour will change after castration Katy. Some dogs will remain the same regardless of having the op.

Shaan still mounts dogs when he knows there's a bitch in season, and still remains territorial and he had the op 2 1/2 years ago.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2004, 12:40 AM
so its a bit pointless then really?? oh i wish vets would give proper advice!!! i might ring his breeder and see what she thinks
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2004, 12:42 AM
At the moment yes, I would say it's a bit pointless, but, that's my opinion. Personally, I'd wait until he's a bit older
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2004, 12:43 AM
ok thanx wolfie sorry
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2004, 12:43 AM
A pup from a previous litter was castrated a year ago and it hasn't made any difference what so ever, he still humps everything in sight and it hasn't calmed him down at all like the vet assured his owner it would.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2004, 12:44 AM
oh dear lol
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2004, 12:58 AM
im glad u bought this up katy.

indie is also 7 months and if we decide to have her spayed it will be after her first season.
Now someone said the op is worse for girls? What are everyones views on having a bitch spayed? I dont plan on mating her at all. And i am worried bout that pyometra thing that i hear is common in unspayed bitches.
But like katy, worry bout leavin her at vets and having op
and also will it change her?
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2004, 01:06 AM
It probably won't change her at all Jenny. Storm is still as hyper as she was before being spayed. Nor has she had any weight gain.

Pyometra lessons the earlier you have bitches spayed, although I feel more comfortable having bitches spayed after their first season, it's down to the individual owner.

The op entails a lot more in bitches as it does dogs. Recovery time is a little longer.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-12-2004, 04:17 AM
I don't see the point in keeping an entire dog, or bitch, if there is no intention to breed.

Castration eliminates the risk of testicular cancer and reduces the risk of prostate enlargement and perianal adenomas. The dog will not be tempted to escape and go visiting every in-season bitch it can smell for miles around. There is less risk of male-on-male aggression.

Spaying eliminates the risk of pyometra, false pregnancy, ovarian cysts & tumours. There is also evidence that the incidence of mammary cancer is drastically reduced in spayed bitches. The bitch does not have to be confined for 3-4 weeks twice a year, and there will be no visiting canine Romeos.

Both operations are routine and recovery is generally quick. Rarely would a dog have to stay overnight at the vet. As with any operation involving GA there is a slight risk, but anaesthetics are very safe nowadays.

I have not found that spaying/castration make any difference to the personality, temperament, appearance, weight, energy levels, maturation, etc.

It is very much an individual decision, one that should be made after careful research & consideration of the pros and cons.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >