Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mj
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-09-2008, 09:09 AM

Dog travel - Ferry Santander - Plymouth

Hi Everyone,

we are moving back to the UK and are planning to take Max on the Brittiany Ferries - route Santander to Plymouth Has anyone used this route?

If you have any tips for me i would be grateful..

Max travels well in the car and is used to kennels (they have them on board) we have his passport all in order but i find the ticks and tapeworms a bit confusing the timescale window!

this is totally new to me so any advice from anyone how's being there and done it would be great!

thanks

mel and max xx
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

28-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Mel,
The only thing I can say is that the UK is the only country in the EU where the rabies jab in the pet passport is not enough.

It's my understanding that the signature and label in the pet passport will get you anywhere in the EU but for UK you also need a letter confirming that the serum thingy has actually worked, apparently there is a very small chance that it won't (About 1% or so) so 6 weeks or latter after the jab a blood sample is sent to the lab and they reply saying the stuff has worked and it's that letter together with the pet passport (of course) that you need to get Maxi into the UK.

HTH
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Hi Mel, I got this from the Defra site might be of some use to you!

Preparing your pet

Microchipping
My pet has been microchipped
I have a microchip reader (only if the microchip is not ISO Standard)
The microchip can be read
Rabies vaccination
My pet was vaccinated in accordance with the recommendation on the vaccine manufacturer's data sheet
It was vaccinated against rabies after it was fitted with a microchip
The microchip number has been entered correctly by the vet on the vaccination record and an EU pet passport

Blood test
I have a record from the vet of the date the blood sample was taken, showing the correct microchip number. The blood sample was taken after the vaccination
My pet has had a satisfactory blood test at an EU-approved laboratory
I have a certified copy of the blood test result showing the correct microchip number and the date the blood sample was taken
Documentation
A vet has correctly filled in all the details in sections I-V of the passport
The passport will be valid for entry to the UK on the date of arrival (i.e. at least 6 calendar months from the date a blood sample was taken from my pet that gave a successful test result)
Tick and tapeworm treatment
A vet has treated my pet for ticks and tapeworms no less than 24 hours and no more than 48 hours before it will be checked in with an approved transport company for its journey into the UK.
The vet has correctly filled in sections VI and VII of the EU pet passport
Travelling to the UK
I have arranged for my pet to enter the UK using an approved transport company and route
If my pet is entering quarantine, I have obtained an import licence before travelling.
mj
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2008, 08:38 AM
thanks for that info i'd not thought about the letter i have it in a file think ill get everything together even if its unrelated to his passport put it in the van. His passport is all fine and its 18 months since his bloods were done and all was clear! we just need to get him treated for ticks and tapeworm not more than 24 hours or less than 48 hours before arriving at the docks its all a logisitical nightmare but im sure it will work out.
bobandrellie
New Member!
Male 

28-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Hi Mel,

We are new to the forum but just noticed your post.

How did you get on?

Have you or anyone reading this been to one of the vets in Santander or nearbye? We're going out to Spain in April returning early June and are looking for a good vet with ample parking as we are in a large motorhome.

We quite fancy a vet about an hour away but can not find one at the moment.

For the last few years we have been to France and the vets there have been wonderful.

Bob
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

28-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by bobandrellie View Post
We quite fancy a vet about an hour away but can not find one at the moment.
Bob
Bob, if the Dogsey system will allow it you could look here:-
http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/for...egory-view.asp

Someone was asking the exact same question and was given some contacts.

PS - If the Dogsey system deletes this link I'll PM you.
kathyg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-02-2009, 10:02 PM
We take our 2 dogs over to France from the UK and back on the Ferry, quite a few times.

Pets Passport. Tick and Tapeworm and Rabies Jab. Make sure the tick and tapeworm is the correct one as recommended. Your vet should know which one it should be. Make sure it is within the time scale. Any doubt, and I always take the names and addresses of various vets en route to the Ferry, just in case we get delayed and the time is up. Microchip. They will check the microchip number at the port of leaving. If anything is out of order, i.e. time scale of tick and tapeworm etc., then certainly in France, they won't let you back into the UK. Last July on our return, they refused entry to 3 people with dogs because their paperwork was out of order.

Honestly, all these illegal immigrants coming into this country without any health checks at all, yet we find it fraught with bureacracy bringing our BRITISH dog back into Britain !!!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Hi
your dog needs a Pet Passport before he can enter. This is detailed in the DEFRA site. It takes 7 months to process.
The dog needs to have a tick & worm treatment (Frontline) between 24 & 38 hours before entry to the UK. This a tight window. It needs to be administered / signed off by a vet registered in the Pet Passport scheme.
bobandrellie
New Member!
Male 

01-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies - a number of vets are on the horizon! Bob