View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pete
Almost a Veteran

02-12-2004, 06:19 PM

car sickness

anyone had a dog who gets sick travelin in a car,codys done it twice now but only on long journeys ,has anyone got any tips to stop it.
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-12-2004, 06:21 PM
Harvey use to throw up everytime we got in a car when he was a pup. He just grew out of it and the more he got use to the car the less he did it. I think its just one of those things, even if they travel on an empty stomach they can still manage to drag up some vile stomach matter all over the back seat.
Carole
Supervisor

02-12-2004, 06:22 PM
only thing I can think of its not feed for a good few hours before the trip and keep the dog confined to the one space.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2004, 06:32 PM
Pete I think you can get tablets for them if it persists and he still does it on an empty stomach ?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2004, 07:02 PM
yes indie does it... but mostly on long journeys.
I dont feed her at least an hour before going out, but sometimes she will still be sick. Infact she is sick less if she can see where she is going and if i have the window open. this usually means having her on my lap... not safe at all!
Annestaff
Supervisor

02-12-2004, 08:04 PM
Minnie's sick in the car too even on the shortest of journeys, just hope she grows out of it like Harvey did.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2004, 08:08 PM
Hi Pete

Can I ask what you mean by long journey's? Is he okay on short journey's? If so then slowly build them up. Are you going somewhere in particular on the journey's, ie somewhere exciting like the park training etc??? if so he may be just working himself into a frenzy.

Another thing is he secure in the car? ie in a cage or just loose in the hatch/estate bit. My Old Gyp used to get sick if she was unrestrained in the estate bit. But never regardess if the length of journey if she was on the back seat in her harness/seat belt. I think she hated being being moved in the estate bit. A bit like motion sickness.
pete
Almost a Veteran

02-12-2004, 08:14 PM
karen it has bin on the way to ringcraft twice so maybe he is workin him self up it can 30 to 45 mins to get there.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2004, 08:24 PM
Hi Pete, try this go as if to ringcraft but don't go.

Do everything as if going to ringcraft, same routine etc and put him in the car and if for arguments sake he is sick 30 minutes in then stop the journey at 20-25 minutes in and let him get out and walk a little trot round down the street then back into the car, then carry on to to ringcraft but don't go in another little walk around then back home. Bet he's not sick on the way home?

Then when the next time you go to ringcraft do the samething stop for the little walk but somewhere different. Then go on to ringcraft. He may be just getting himself stressed over ringcraft. By "fooling him" you may solve it straight off. Try it a few times, hope it works.

Sal was obsessed with the car and going out but I realised in her mind she went nice places in the car - park-training-vets(she went to puppy classes there, and adores them) so I took her in car to Asda/Tesco's and while Mom sister did shopping I sat outside with her boring she thought. So now she accepts car journey's without getting over top excited.
pete
Almost a Veteran

02-12-2004, 08:36 PM
yer he gos everywere excitin in car like the forest of the weekend ,ringcraft thru the week and park with the kids,so will have to do some borin journes too.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >