Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 11:29 AM

Absolutly Distraught (Sorry Long)

I can't stop sobbing my daughters pony has been free of lammi for a couple of years due to our keeping one jump ahead, but she has had other health problems liver, anemia, tendons and mouth problems.
A couple of times we thought we were going to lose her but with our good vet and our love and care she has always pulled through.
My daughter and her have the most unbelievable bond and they are real soul mates, so much so Pippit has even produced milk for my daughter and will attack anyone who tries to go near her.
Anyway 3 weeks ago she went down with an awful bout of lammi so bought her straight in and got her on necessary treatment and care, but she got worse and worse. Called vet to double check it was lammy and not a foot infection and he said he thinks her liver is getting worse and she now has cushings as well. She was getting very depressed so he said to let her back out on the little special lammy square we have.
Today the poor girl could hardly hobble accross the yard and looked so uncomfortable and in pain.
I think the time may have come to let her go peacefully, but the thought of it has had me sobbing all morning and I have to break the news to my daughter who is going to be beside herself and I don't think she is going to cope with losing her best friend and soulmate.
I managed to compose myself to speak to our vet again today. He said to up her bute to what I had her on, she is still lame and hobbles on this but it must help a bit and give her a couple more days and then we will discuss it, but he said when he saw her yesterday it wasn't looking good.
I just clung onto her this morning sobbing and telling her to please get better, she is not just any pony she is so special.
We do have permission from the local authority to bury our horses on the land, but the thought of seeing a big hole dug for her is terrifying me.
She is only 26yrs old, ok fairly old but as our other mare is 47yrs old and very fit and healthy poor Pippit seems a mere babe.
Please all send lots of positive vibes for her to get better. She is still eating well and I don't want to lose her yet.
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 11:43 AM
My heart goes out to you and your daughter, I have lost a horse myself and have never had another to replace him, I couldn't. I am sending all the positive vibes I have to Pippit, i really hope she gets through this
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Bless you!!! My thoughts are with you.
Laminitis is getting worse every year. A couple of ours have had it this season.
Anything can bring it on, its not necessarily fat ponies. My friends old pony was really slim. Even a cold winters morning can bring it on. We had a thoroughbred called Gemma with very boxy feet, she used to suffer from it.Its when the pedal bone rotates. Thats when it becomes serious.
Its so awful watching a pony walk with laminitis.
Your pony has lived a good happy life. Our old pony Zara was PTS last autumn. She was 43 yrs old. Every winter we'd say 'will she last this one'. We made a very painful decision to end her life. (we did bury her) not supposed to i know.
She was basically starving herself to death as her teeth were so worn with age. So we lost her on a gorgeuos summer day, birds were singing. It felt right & she went with her dignity intact.
Hopefully the bute will start taking effect quickly.
I know what your going through. You know whats best for her & she'll thankyou no matter what you decide!
Best wishes & (((((((o)))))))) XXX

Julie
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 12:35 PM
My heart goes out to you too madmare, I know exactly how you must be feeling, as I too had to say goodbye to my dear horse 2 years ago after a 20yr. friendship. It's not easy is it. Your daughter will be devasted I know, but she would hate to see her poor friend suffering any longer than she has to. I really don't know how you're going to find the words to help her on this either, they had a very close bond by the sounds of it. Looking on the brighter side, laminitis can be cured with food restriction as your vet will have told you already. Definitely no hard food, and only limited hay. My horse had it years ago, and for a 16.2 t/b this was quite rare, but his was protein laminitis,where a friend of mine had been over-feeding him whilst I was away on holiday, as she thought he was too thin! He was a very, very fit athletic horse, ridden every day for 4/5 hours, and to leave him off work for a week and stuff him with food was a disaster! You can only listen to your vet's advice on this can't you, as he will know if she would ever recover from it, or whether it will get worse. I am so, so sorry for you and your daughter, and I just hope things may turn out for the better soon, but laminitis is so very painful for them as you know, that your vet will tell you to do the right thing as they always do. Big hugs for your daughter if the decision is not good for her dear little pony.
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 12:48 PM
My heart goes out to you for this, I can only hope that she gets betterr and the bute kicks in soon.

Best of luck, I know you'll make the right decision
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-08-2006, 01:09 PM
So sorry

Noting to add, sorry haven't got a clue about horse ailments, but I hope Pippit recovers and I'm sending healing vibes and hugs to you and your daughter.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 01:12 PM
Same here, know nothing about horses but wish you all the luck in the world and will be praying for pippit.

Hope she gets better!

Jules

xxxxx
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 01:42 PM
I am so sorry to hear your bad news, my thoughts are with you.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Looking on the brighter side, laminitis can be cured with food restriction as your vet will have told you already. Definitely no hard food, and only limited hay. My horse had it years
I have had laminitics for years and my vet has often asked me to come and talk to some owners of laminitic ponies because of the experience I have in keeping it under control and how to spot very early often missed signs.
Unfortunatly this time it is the cushings disease making it uncontrollable and believe you me I have done everything. This place is geared for laminitics. Its not just a normal bout of laminitis unfortunatly if it were it would never have got this severe and she would be responding to treatment.
Food restriction is also not always the best thing for lammys as they need to eat and starving can cause more problems, it is a case of feeding the right stuff.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Hi madmare, Yes low protein food that's what you want to give her. Our vets were very strict on food control and would definitely not allow any hard food. After all, the hard food (especially during the summer) is only given during work, and if she's in, then she's not working? Maybe some apples and carrots etc mixed with some very low protein hard feed is what you usually do, I don't know? One of my friend's horses ended up with cushings disease and he suffered with the same thing too, and eventually had a serious mouth problem which then infected his sinuses. Mind you, he did go on for a few years are having the cushings, but laminitis was always a severe problem for him too. Has she got it in all four feet or just the fronts? I hope your vet can help you with her, and you sound as if you've been down this road before, but perhaps not quite as serious as it is now.

I really am very, very sorry.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >