Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rob6852
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-01-2010, 07:30 PM

Advice on crate training and feeding

Hi.
My first post on here, we have a new westie, 5 months old, we got yesterday, we are ok on feeding except not sure if it is two meals a day or three?

also she hates to be in her crate at night as we are not with her, any suggestions on how to help her get used to it
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by rob6852 View Post
Hi.
My first post on here, we have a new westie, 5 months old, we got yesterday, we are ok on feeding except not sure if it is two meals a day or three?

also she hates to be in her crate at night as we are not with her, any suggestions on how to help her get used to it
I would say two meals for a 5 months old Westie.

Basically, the dog should see the crate as a good place to be, a safe haven and enjoy spending time in it. Try feeding your puppy in the crate every time, at first with the door open, then gradually closing the door while still eating.

Plenty or praise and treats whilst in the crate, too. As well as safe toys and chews, such as Nylabones.

Don't use the crate as punishment, that's not what it's meant to be for.

Make sure the crate is nice and cosey for her to sleep in, and at night put a bedsheet over the top of it. When she settles and goes to sleep, cover the front of the crate with the sheet as well. Be prepared for some crying though.

If you have search on here from crating advice, I'm sure you'll find plenty of invaluable help, advice and tips on crate training successfully. There is tons of great advice on here on that subject, as well as other things!

Good luck with your little one! And remember and post some pictures.
rob6852
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post

Basically, the dog should see the crate as a good place to be, a safe haven and enjoy spending time in it. Try feeding your puppy in the crate every time, at first with the door open, then gradually closing the door while still eating.

Plenty or praise and treats whilst in the crate, too. As well as safe toys and chews, such as Nylabones.

Make sure the crate is nice and cosey for her to sleep in, and at night put a bedsheet over the top of it. When she settles and goes to sleep, cover the front of the crate with the sheet as well. Be prepared for some crying though.

If you have search on here from crating advice, I'm sure you'll find plenty of invaluable help, advice and tips on crate training successfully. There is tons of great advice on here on that subject, as well as other things!

thanks for your kind reply, we will do this, also will post photos once we find out how too.

Tilly is wonderful puppey, 2nd day and she seems so happy to be here
sasha26
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2010, 09:22 PM
iv got a 14 week old collie x husky and she didnt like her crate at night wot we did was always put her in about 1 hour b4 we go to bed i always put treats in her crate as a distraction this had helped loads and now doesnt cry at all i also feed her in her crate aswell
rubythebeagle
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Ruby didnt like her cage to start with and i had a fair few sleepless nights, she gradually got better though. I used to put a blanket over 2 sides when she went to bed and i now have a cage cover which is alot more practical. Now at 5 mths she spoils me as she will happily sleep in there from 11till 8 without a murmer...and even then im waking her! Shame school goes back tomorrow as it will be early mornings again
Keep persevering and hopefully it will all work out
rubythebeagle
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Also forgot to say, when Ruby was younger i used to get her teddy and rub it all over me (or put it under my clothing for a while ) before she went to bed so it had my sent on it. Not sure this actually worked or whether it was coincidence but she did start to go longer without crying.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Hi Rob in addition to the advice already given you may find this article on crates by one of our members useful..

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=15552

I would feed three meals a day up to six months of age ...
rob6852
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-01-2010, 11:28 PM
we just took her out for a late night walk, she loved the walk, would pee lol, now in crate, so far not too bad, we try some the ideas
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-01-2010, 11:18 PM
I put Labs on 2 meals a day at 3 months. For a little Westie, later might be a good idea.

I have found lying down in front of the crate like you were going to sleep and speaking softly to it, or singing, until it settles down and goes to sleep works very well. Follow the pattern, a period of active play, outside to eliminate, and then into the crate.
JJB88
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post

Perfect advice there!

The only other suggestion I have is when you put her in her crate don't rush off upstairs to bed. Sit next to the crate for a while, with a book or hot choc. Don't speak to her or make eye contact. This is basically saying to her that its sleep time but avoids the association of crate and you leaving. I did this with my 14 week old staff pup and she sleeps well at night. We also have crate time in the day. Like now for instance after a bout of playing she has settled in her crate with a chew while I am on my laptop. She is now snoring happily and learning that this is a nice cosy sleeping place.

Hope this helps
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >