Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2014, 04:26 PM

Dog wee killing the grass

So Nigredo tends to wee right out front. Never thought much of it as his wee doesn't smell or anything. Take Jade around the back usually because:

A) She won't wee over his for some reason.
B) Hers has a scent as she's not spayed.

But now we have a huge patch of yellow grass that won't grow. The other grass is coming in, but I don't think this will.

Our yard looks like BLAH anyway because lots of feet, cars, basketballs, etc. rolling over the grass but was hoping I could do something to at least make this bit look a BIT better.

A guy I know from Texas says to simply water it more. Will do, but is there anything else that might help this bit?

You can see the area in this photo HERE I took of Nigredo the other day...

We don't have any good grass (you can see the clovers etc.), but I'd at least like some green there. Think I'll begin guiding him around the side as well.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2014, 04:31 PM
Only thing we found worked ever was water the grass as soon as the girls pee, leave it even a few minutes is too long.

Luckily we have to walk ours away from the communal gardens so all dead patches are well away from our property and no one knows who does them
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Thanks, Julie. I can't be bothered to water each time he goes wee TBH. I guess I'll have to suck it up and deal with the ugly patch
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Both male and female wee will burn the grass, regardless of whether they are spayed or not.

The only way to stop this happening us to water after they pee,
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-04-2014, 05:49 PM
You can buy Dog Rocks to put in their water

http://www.dogrocks.co.uk/

I nip out everytime it rains and put grass seed on the bald patches as well. Warm water with washing up liquid in helps because it neutralises the wee
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2014, 05:50 PM
I never had a problem with the boys but they wee'd up things not on the grass, it was worst with Molliepops I guess being biggest she had more wee to do the damage ! Betty you would hardly know where she has gone.
buglysprince
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2014, 06:51 PM
I use the dogs rocks it doesn't solve the problem completely but helps
Zimzum
New Member!
Female 

22-04-2014, 10:17 PM
Our dog always pees on the same bit of the lawn and killed the grass completely. Over the winter it was like a mini glastonbury out there and she tracked all the mud into the house. We've just layed fake grass in the area she pees.

Solved the problem!
Joytotheworld
New Member!
Female 

23-04-2014, 06:17 PM
Hey mjfromga,

I've had this problem.. Only solution other than get some sort of AstroTurf stuff (very expensive) was sow clover seed on the patches. I ordered mine online (I cant remember the variety- sorry but some are shorter than others and dont flower til they reach a certain height etc..) . Clover isn't affected by dog pee, and once you keep it short it blends right in.

Might be worth a bit of research?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2014, 06:25 PM
Put some slabs down where the brown bits are! Surprising to me to see dogs peeing so close to the house. Bella prefers to be about 100 yards up the road before doing anything!

As said - dog pee does 'burn it' but it will eventually grow back but every time they go they burn another bit. Yours is going in the same place all the time - doubt it will ever grow back.

Wish I had clover and not grass. Bella might be more inclined to use it! Some places here have all clover where the grass has been neglected. Doesn't need cutting then either!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >