View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Cos I'll be going home to see my family this christmas, I'll be spending christmas day at my dad's where the whole family gathers with all the cousins. So the 15 of us will probably be having the traditional 'fondue chinoise', except me, my brother, sister and little cousin will be having veggies instead of meat.
I couldn't go home for the past 2 christmasses (and had to make do with the british veggie xmas roast, still lovely though!!) so I'm really looking forward to it!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Sounds good - where's 'home' Florence?

I've never 'been home for Christmas'. I've cooked the Christmas dinner since I was about 14 - first living at my dads with my younger brothers. Then after I left home and was married - everyone came to me. Including my dad and my mum and my three much younger sisters. Right up until I moved down to Cornwall in my 40s.

I don't miss cooking the dinner at all. But Martin informs me this year 'it's about time you cooked a christmas dinner mum'.

That is because he does not want his sister to cook it! I always refuse to cook for Mart because he is a better cook than I am and if I do it he stands there criticising and supervising. Or insists on making the gravy or summat.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Christmas eve is a normal working day for us so won't be home until 8.30pm and I am not starting cooking then LOL

So Christmas day will be our main day as my husband is back to work on boxing day !

Have the boys here, my niece and her daughter, my sister is coming and my husband's brother is bringing his 7 children ! He divorced this year so trying to make a nice day for the kids as they will be missing their mum I am sure.

Think 4 chickens will be roasted with stuffing separately, brussel sprouts with bacon and almonds, roast potatoes and carrots and possibly parsnips if I have room in the oven. My husband also likes a Yorkshire pudding on Christmas day it was a tradition in his family so will do that too.

Veggies amongst us will be having a mushroom and walnut roast http://www.thekitchn.com/winter-reci...ut-loaf-102222 my niece is making that and bringing it with her as I really won't have room for everything !

Christmas pudding will be served for anyone not on a diabetic diet

We tend to have our meal about 4pm so we won't need anything after that I am sure but will have a breakfast of scrambled egg to keep us going until dinner.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Tang: It's in switzerland. I've not been able to go see my family much the past 3 years, so I made sure that I booked my flights home well early this year to go home over christmas
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Tang: It's in switzerland. I've not been able to go see my family much the past 3 years, so I made sure that I booked my flights home well early this year to go home over christmas
Oh how wonderful. I bet Switzerland is really Christmassy.

*when did people start calling the sausage bacon rolls 'pigs in blankets' in the UK? I've never called them that. Another Americanism no doubt!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2013, 04:40 PM
I must live on another planet Never heard of Black Friday well apparently its today According to the local news...Asda sale in Belfast caused total chaos,especially the computer and tablet section Old people practically trampled Few injured I believe What the heck is wrong with people
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
I must live on another planet Never heard of Black Friday well apparently its today According to the local news...Asda sale in Belfast caused total chaos,especially the computer and tablet section Old people practically trampled Few injured I believe What the heck is wrong with people
Well just come and sit on the KNOW NUFFINK step with me then Lacey. I just bought the CD on Amazon for Jen's bloke's birthday and up flashed this Black Friday Specials thingie.

I'm sat here thinking Black Friday? WTF is that? lol!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
We have decided to eat Christmas dinner on Christmas eve and leave the day itself for visiting and feet up. With nibbles throughout the day including of course Turkey sarnies.
Kazz, in case you don't know, that is the norm throughout all of Eastern Europe and some parts of Western Europe as well. In Czechland and nearby countries the Christmas Eve meal is Carp with a potatoe salad but it's true that many people are switching to turkey now.

Christmas day is pretty much a 'normal' working day (If it occurs on a weekday) people might go to Church (For those who are religious) or visit family, sometimes a walk in the country (With or without dogs) but often go to work, one year I even saw the bin men come round on Christmas day
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
I must live on another planet Never heard of Black Friday well apparently its today
The media are muppets, why would anyone call a day when sales are up a bit BLACK, if you were going to try and introduce a phrase to the language (Which is totally unnecessary) surely something like RED Friday, or even GOLDEN Friday but definately not BLACK Friday.

Because it's so easy to do now the retailers can easily say when sales are up and they are allegedly always up on the fourth Friday before Christmas.

A fairly meaningless statistic for everyone, far more important is how much sales are up on the year (relative to the previous year.)
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Kazz, in case you don't know, that is the norm throughout all of Eastern Europe and some parts of Western Europe as well. In Czechland and nearby countries the Christmas Eve meal is Carp with a potatoe salad but it's true that many people are switching to turkey now.

Christmas day is pretty much a 'normal' working day (If it occurs on a weekday) people might go to Church (For those who are religious) or visit family, sometimes a walk in the country (With or without dogs) but often go to work, one year I even saw the bin men come round on Christmas day
How very interesting. I knew a lot of people celebrate on New Year my friend is Polish and they do but I find the whole thing fascinating.
Every house has a different tradition for Christmas and it seems to evolve.
I have often thought of going away for Christmas but not sure I would like it however I could easily sit and do my own thing (ie nothing at all and see no one)

I am volunteering again at Sally army not sure doing what couple years ago I was the "trainee" potato putter on plates.......may try for simply title of "vegetable putter on plate" branch out a bit.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >