Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Pleaded? First I thought ... typo.
Then I thought ... no, more likely to be 'Freudian slip' or premonition lol! Seeing a day when you might end up pleading with the norty porty to behave himself!

*just nipped back in to have another look at him!
yep done a lot of that too, but yes I am very pleased with him x
Meg
Supervisor

03-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Jackie I confess I don't know a lot about this breed but I have read the breed standard and to my eye Figo looks pretty good to me

I would have said the clip which some have mentioned is perfectly in keeping with the breed standard which states....
''Muzzle and entire hindquarters from the last rib clipped. Two thirds of tail clipped from set on''.
In a water dog I would guess this is all to do with enabling the ability to dive/buoyancy and keeping the essential organs protected.

What an amazingly breed this is so well adapted to its task right down to the round feet containing a membrane and thick pads.

I shall watch Figo's progress with interest .
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

03-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Jackie I confess I don't know a lot about this breed but I have read the breed standard and to my eye Figo looks pretty good to me

I would have said the clip which some have mentioned is perfectly in keeping with the breed standard which states....
''Muzzle and entire hindquarters from the last rib clipped. Two thirds of tail clipped from set on''.
In a water dog I would guess this is all to do with enabling the ability to dive/buoyancy and keeping the essential organs protected.

What an amazingly breed this is so well adapted to its task right down to the round feet containing a membrane and thick pads.

I shall watch Figo's progress with interest .
Thank you Meg, yes the clip is there for a reason , you will not find many old photos of this breed without it, and if you research the breed you will see those dogs involved in water sports and water rescue ALL will sport the traditional clip, it makes me smile when I hear, they will get a cold bum, well I am sure if they can swim in the cold Atlantic clipped this way, a little bit of cold English weather is not going to hurt them....

Thanks for your kind comments, I am looking forward to campaigning him.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 07:04 AM
I too have read the breed standard as know little about this breed other than I adore them . Figo is such a stunning dog and I assume you'll be showing him?

Two black PWD here on dogsey ..... fantastic .

Keep the photos coming Jackie ...... he is gorgeous
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 07:07 AM
Yes he is very gorgeous. Regarding a 'cold bum' well most coats and other clobber I've seen for dogs don't actually come right down over their bum. Bella doesn't seem so bothered by cold now as when she was younger (well she's got her fat to keep her warm too these days!) but it bemused me to see all the jumpers etc. I looked at for her didn't actually cover her BELLY. Now that's the bit of her body with no fur on it so I'd assume that would be the bit tht got coldest?
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
get a cold bum, well I am sure if they can swim in the cold Atlantic clipped this way, a little bit of cold English weather is not going to hurt them....

Thanks for your kind comments, I am looking forward to campaigning him.
My comment wasn't from a temperature point of view - I just think it looks peculiar and makes the dog look front heavy. I didn't realise you were going to take part in water rescue and water sports but, even so, I still don't like it but that's just my opinion!

What does 'campaigning' mean in this context?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2