Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Not everyone agrees with me but others have come up with useful ways to sort this out - something I and my OH can sit down and work on together .. I apologise if it seems that I only side with the ones that agree with me, but no one said I had to agree with the opinions that disagreed with me, did they? I've taken them into account, I've listened/read what you have put but telling me I'm being childish, selfish and not in a loving caring relationship is beyond comprehension as you don't even know me as a person -

I never said you were selfish or not in a lovign relationship, I commented on what you wrote, (the first post), I also pointed out like others did, that you have to allow him to make his own mind up,

the immaturity comment was directed to you saying , you are going to go out and enjoy yourself, because he looked at other woman when you go out.

only what I let you know and tbh apart from this hiccup - we are very happy together, thank you very much. I have explained why he can't afford it

Not in your first post, you did not, you stated he was not having it because you wont let him

and I have even gone through all the income and outgoings which show that if he takes all practicality out of what he needs in a car to get to and from Bulford then he can afford it and he'll spend more money getting to and from or going on the train. But if he has this car and the scenic he can still afford it, yet won't have much left to enjoy it.. but again I must be the only person to get upset over something their OH has done. He asked my opinion and I gave it and he even told his Dad the other week he couldn't afford it and now he has decided he can again.

Your posts did not give the impression you simply gave him your opinion, on more than one occasion, you stated........ he is not having it... thats telling him, not giving an opinion.

I actually think I am making a mature decision by telling him he cannot afford it now -

If that's what you did , I would agree, but that's not the way your posts came across, they can across as you dictating what he can and cant do.

although I would love to use the words "I told you so" no matter how childish that is I don't want to have to go there because I would rather he wait a couple of years.. in this day and age you can't have everything you want, when you want it.. see Rolomums post..

you can if you can afford it, and for a 25 yr old who is working, then he may well see it differently.

And that was my point about , this being more than just about a car,

I'm sorry if me not agreeing with your opinions doesn't agree with you but the last time I checked, I posted, I've listened and as always with forums I can decide for myself what goes in what ear and stays there and what goes out the other one..
Ofcause you can decide what you listen to, but the throwing the toys out because you don't like some replies is very immature.

You can carry on dictating to him or you can take the approach give to you , that you have to allow him to make his own decisions and make his own mistakes.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Its a man thing, they have no common sense! (well most don't I'm sure their are a few exceptions).
Dooley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-10-2011, 05:37 PM
i have boys not much younger than your o / h , both at uni , both drive sports cars , they have eventually come round to the thinking that they aren`t really practical , in life you have to make your own mistakes , or you never learn
i know my boys would not stand for being told no by a woman , they are grown up men , quite capable of making their own decisions , if they got into heavy debt , that`s their problem , no one elses , if he wants the car , let him have it , just make sure when it`s financed that it is in no way attached to you , so when / if he falls knee deep in debt it`s not you they come knocking for
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 05:45 PM
And I explained to you that I was not going down town because he looks at other women - it was due to the cliche he used and because it is a hen night that I am invited to.

I explained later on that I said that he could have it later on - when you're writing a rant you don't always put in everything...

It is more than about the car - the fact that he thinks mainly about himself and has been brought up with everything handed to him, he's never had to pay rent or anything in his life since he turned 18, the only responsibility he's ever had was to feed his rabbits and walk his dog. It's a big wake up call for him to have a job then a house and for temporarily me and the dogs... Of which one I said we couldn't afford but he went ahead and got him and now complains about the cost of training and food BTW Louie needs the training.. He wanted Louie - I fell in love and he's staying. I won't be falling in love with a car.

I know you didn't say that I wasn't in a caring relationship but I was referring to what lillput had said.

I have never once said to him that he isn't having it. That is totally all on here - all I have said to him is that he couldn't afford it.. I told him that it wasn't practical.. because it isn't.

But I have decided what I am going to do and hopefully all will be sorted once he get backs in 2 weeks time..
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by angelmist View Post
Its a man thing, they have no common sense! (well most don't I'm sure their are a few exceptions).
Yup - I would love a man who would have common sense..

Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
i have boys not much younger than your o / h , both at uni , both drive sports cars , they have eventually come round to the thinking that they aren`t really practical , in life you have to make your own mistakes , or you never learn
i know my boys would not stand for being told no by a woman , they are grown up men , quite capable of making their own decisions , if they got into heavy debt , that`s their problem , no one elses , if he wants the car , let him have it , just make sure when it`s financed that it is in no way attached to you , so when / if he falls knee deep in debt it`s not you they come knocking for
And I get to say "I told you so" Yeah I suppose, I'm still going to go through all the financial side with him.. then let him decide from there - but like Bailey - I'm refusing to go in it, I hated going for rides in his friends and his friends Dad's corvette - but I got dragged along..
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Not everyone agrees with me but others have come up with useful ways to sort this out - something I and my OH can sit down and work on together .. I apologise if it seems that I only side with the ones that agree with me, but no one said I had to agree with the opinions that disagreed with me, did they? I've taken them into account, I've listened/read what you have put but telling me I'm being childish, selfish and not in a loving caring relationship is beyond comprehension as you don't even know me as a person - only what I let you know and tbh apart from this hiccup - we are very happy together, thank you very much. I have explained why he can't afford it and I have even gone through all the income and outgoings which show that if he takes all practicality out of what he needs in a car to get to and from Bulford then he can afford it and he'll spend more money getting to and from or going on the train. But if he has this car and the scenic he can still afford it, yet won't have much left to enjoy it.. but again I must be the only person to get upset over something their OH has done. He asked my opinion and I gave it and he even told his Dad the other week he couldn't afford it and now he has decided he can again.

I actually think I am making a mature decision by telling him he cannot afford it now - because although I would love to use the words "I told you so" no matter how childish that is I don't want to have to go there because I would rather he wait a couple of years.. in this day and age you can't have everything you want, when you want it.. see Rolomums post..

I'm sorry if me not agreeing with your opinions doesn't agree with you but the last time I checked, I posted, I've listened and as always with forums I can decide for myself what goes in what ear and stays there and what goes out the other one..
Of course you can, as can your OH if you keep nagging him and trying to control him. He isn't a small child and you aren't his mother.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Of course you can, as can your OH if you keep nagging him and trying to control him. He isn't a small child and you aren't his mother.
How is she trying to control and mother him by pointing out that spending a fortune on an impractical car when they can't afford it isn't a good idea?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
How is she trying to control and mother him by pointing out that spending a fortune on an impractical car when they can't afford it isn't a good idea?
Explain to him what she thinks - absolutely fine - but to keep going on at him (which is seems to me she is doing or planning to do!) is a bit OTT and I can't help but feel if she does this she may end up pushing him away altogether. Just my thoughts though, I could be totally wrong!

It's not really as if they have a joint mortgage together etc - they don't - he's the only earner and between him and his parents, they pay the household bills, so I just feel she should back off a bit tbh, and if he does decide to go ahead with the car, it's his problem if it doesn't work out and he has to get rid of it. It may well be a lesson learned for him, but he has to make his own mistakes and if her name has nothing to do with it, then that's a good thing.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 11:32 PM
I haven't read the whole thing just bits but in my opinion he is in the wrong and she has every right to nag at him.

No she is not his mother but as his partner with whom he lives then any decisions should be properly discussed and agreed upon or a compromise reached, in a caring relationship you think about how your actions will affect your OH in the process which from what I can see he is not doing.

If he is going to go and buy a car they can't afford that is not practical for their 'family' requirements including the transporting of the dog he wanted then that is very selfish and she has every right to be pee'd off with him.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
Why feel sorry for him? He is in a relationship with the OP, he has responsibilities. What would happen if Aimmee wasn't concerned & further down the line he couldn't afford the car loan repayments? Its called being concerned & planning for the future where I come from. All very sensible. Why can't he wait until Aimmee finds a job & take it from there instead of diving straight in at the deep end.
Well said!
Page 7 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >