View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Ah I see, bit of a different situation then. Me and hubby had a long distance relationship before we got married. He was already in the Army and based near Aldershot, I lived in Manchester. We managed to make it work. I think we'd have left it longer before marriage and just moved in together if it wasn't for him being in the army though. Long distance relationships aren't ideal but they're not impossible, it just takes effort on both sides and a lot of trust.

I think the 2 dogs limit is across the board for army quarters, it's definitely 2 here in Germany and was 2 in Ireland.

If your partner does go into the forces and you get married my biggest recommendation would be learn to drive if you haven't already. Being unable to drive and stuck in the middle of nowhere sucks big time.
STGSD
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 02:51 PM
My ex was in RAF when we got together. He'd been in 3 years and he loved it and was all he talked about when we first met. Didn't last, he went to Afgan for 2nd time, been to Iraq aswell, and broke with me at the end of his tour leaving me and Zeph in the sh**! My parents put us up luckily! Not saying tht you OH will be anything like that etc etc but I think you have to go into it for the right reasons, too many people do it cos they don't know what else to do and want a secure job. My ex was so into it and obv belived it was what he wanted in the beginning but turned out it wasn't and his final tour in Afgan was hell for both of us and he came back a different person to who had left and had been writing me letters. This is just my experiences and plenty of people live like it quite happily, but its a lot to consider for both of you. I'm all for following dreams but he also has commitments to you.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 03:25 PM
I think we would make a long distance relationship work as it isnt forever just until I finish uni, he wants to get married before he goes in so woulnt be a problem joinging him in about 2 years.

He wants to do it for many reasons, one is because its something he has always wanted to do he got defered due to his tooth and they say everything happens for a reason we wouldnt be together and wouldnt have ciarán if he had gone in then, also he wants to better himself rather than just sticking with the packing job he has at the moment, he wants to provide for me and ciarán and for ciarán to have someone to look upto.

ATD x
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 03:25 PM
My little bro is a Royal Marine, he has (so far) done Afghan twice, and is due to go back next.

Its bloody hard work, yes they get little treats, and a fair amount of time off. BUT, its a very very hard life, both for the lads, and their families.

If he wants to join because he wants to join, then great, fully support that. But if he only wants to join cos there isnt much else out there, then I would not recommend it.

As many with relatives in the forces, or those who grew up with a parent in the forces will tell you, it isnt a normal job, its a lifestyle. A brilliant one (if I didnt have a family, id be in the Navy or RAF) but hard on families and relationships (My parents are one of many of my childhood RAF friends who are now divorced)
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2