Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2007, 09:00 PM

Behaviour help

Well, I need some ideas/help!

When we are out walking Teagan, she has started to jump up to our shoulder/face, and tonight she has given Kev a black eye!
The only time she normally jumps up is when we hold a toy for her to grab.
She doesn't ever jump up at home.

Tonight Kev had thrown the ball for Teagan, and as normal, she runs for it (but never picks them up lol).
Kev went over to pick the ball up (like normal), he hadn't even got near the ball, and Teagan jumped at his face. Not aggressive at all, purely in play - but unwanted play!

We've agreed not to let her get toys from our hands anymore, but we don't want to stop throwing balls/frisbee's for her, as thats how she gets most of her exercise!

I understand her routine has changed DRASTICALLY recently (what with not going to the other park anymore, and me starting full time work), but it's not nice to have an 8 stone dog jumping up at you, and we don't want her to jump at anyone else.

I know to stop jumping up, you can turn your back etc (thats how we taught her not to jump at visitors), but when it's totally unexpected, you don't have time to turn your back!

Hope I've explained well enough, if you need to ask questions, please do!

Any ideas how to nip this in the bud?!
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2007, 09:14 PM
hi sorry you haveing probs hun , what about taking 2 balls with youso you can throw 1 that she runs after, an when you get there to pick it up throw the second so you are distracting her from the jumping before it happens.

the other thing could be to train a sit and wait to help as well. sorry if not much help that is what i did my dog as he used to jump up and it worked with him. It did take some time but he got there. Even if you change how you do it every time.

say 1st time throw the second ball 2nd time as for a sit and wait make it a challange.

hope that helps
good luck.

sam
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2007, 09:15 PM
I am no expert, but if it was me i would say no and turn my back. I am reading it as - she gets excited and wants you to throw her toy and then jumps up. Ignore her behaviour totally until she gets calm and then carry on with the toy but only when she is calm again.

If i have understood correctly this will teach her that she gets to "play" when she is calmer.

Or maybe teach her to sit, before you throw anything for her.

This is just my thoughts, i am sure someone will help with other idea's. Hope its helpful.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2007, 09:17 PM
We have a tennis ball and a frisbee.
The thing is, she does it when we're not even holding the toys. I can understand it (in a way), when we're holding a toy and she wants it!

She always sits and waits before we throw something.
it tends to be after it's thrown, or at random times!

We spent the whole walk home trying to figure out why she does it - and as I said, it's not even toy related!!

arghhh!!
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Our pup does this too - when excited or tired. We haven't cracked it yet so hoping he'll grow out of it. A water squirter has helped a bit but not stopped it altogether.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post

We spent the whole walk home trying to figure out why she does it - and as I said, it's not even toy related!!

arghhh!!
I'd suggest you get a reputable one to one trainer to go out with you as they'd have some good suggestions as they could see first hand exactly what she was doing and perhaps why (subtle stuff maybe, as her owners, you can't see as you are too close? such as your own body language).

Try http://www.apdt.co.uk/ for someone near to you

I'd suspect that if she has been jumping up when you've got toys in your hand, it's possibly got more generalised, esp. if she's been in some way rewarded (even accidentally) for it.

So it may be that the excitement over the toy is part of the problem even though it may not appear to be.

I'd suggest that if she ever jumps or tries to grab the toy, you say "ah!" and let her see you immediately put it away (pocket or bum bag or rucksack).

If it's the toy that's getting her excited, you may find this helps a lot - and you can then reward her being calm by producing the ball (and if she jumps, say Ah! and put it right away again).

But I'd suggest getting hands on help from a good trainer, that would always be my first suggestion with this kind of problem

Wys
x