Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 06:58 PM

Loki fits and strange eating habits

After 16 glorious fit-free weeks, Loki has unfortunately suffered a cluster this weekend. We have administered the usual rectal diazepam and hopefully we saw the last of 9 fits at 4.30 am today.

He is now rushing around, back and forth, with his usual post-seizure manic behaviour.

For the last couple of days he has been desperate to eat dandelion flowers. Not only that, but also those delicate, white flowers you see on weeds by hedgerows and strangely, nettles/prickles. He seems strangely interested in most things, even a bush in the garden. I've tried to stop him but he lunges for them.

Has anybody any idea why?

He has been sick twice today - is it possible his stomach is upset and he's eating this stuff to try to make himself sick? It's just that usually, if he wants to be sick, he just goes for loads of grass. I've never seen him eat dandelions before, let alone prickles.

Thanks.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Sorry I can't offer any advice but I hope he is felling better very soon and that you are all ok.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Aw thanks Werewolf - we're at the stage where I'm so relieved (and shattered after no sleep!) the fits are over but I now want to because of the frustration over the post-ictal behaviour. I know he can't help it but I want to go, "ARGHGHGHGHGHGHGH!"
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 07:14 PM
First sorry that Loki's had more fits

One of my Boxers was prone to stomach upsets when he would eat wood carpet really anything he could get. He never did it at other times so it may well be he is trying to make himself vomit.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Sorry to hear this news but pleased he seems over them now. Cant offer any advice on the eating thing, but hope he is back to normal very soon.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks Dawn - I did get worried after the first few fits but we seem to be doing something right. Things have improved hugely, in terms of the severity and number of fits. The only thing we changed was diet and that was just a tweak really.

Thanks Cava14Una - goodness, that sounds scary! Perhaps it is that then - a dicky tummy and a need to vomit.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Dandelions and nettles are diuretics Linda if that is any help. My Cariad is 'grazing' all over the place at the moment, Lona doesn't seem interested really, but Cariad is munching her way through anything she can find!!! The grass is very new and sweet, I have upped her veg in case she is short of anything.
Sorry to hear about Loki, the poor lad, hope he settles down soon and you get back to normality very soon.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Sorry to hear about Loki, cant offer any advice on the eating thing, but give him a hug from us.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Cow parsley (the delicate white flowers maybe?) Is supposed to have a calming effect on horses.. not sure about dogs. There's a good google boook on the medicinal use of different plants for horses here

It maybe Loki is instinctively seeking out thinks that may hep... he may just be eating things that are bright?, or just grasses. But there is some evidence to suggest that wild animals seem to know some plant properties and seek them out when they are unwell, so you never know?
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 08:34 PM
No advice, but sorry to here he has had another fit and is now driving you nuts. Hope things improve.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >