Our sister sites
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2004, 12:40 PM

Shar Pei query

Just been on M&S site to insure Libby and noticed this comment on their page

To apply, your pet must meet the following conditions:
Is not a sharpei, pit bull terrier, wolf hybrid and any dog registered under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 (and subsequent amendments)
can i ask - why the Shar pei ? Are they prone to excessive health problems or something ? I can think of lots of other breeds that are , if this is their reason -
Really curious as to why they have included this breed
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

23-06-2004, 12:54 PM
typing mistake?
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2004, 03:57 PM
Reply i recieved back from M&S regarding the exclusion of Shar peis-

Thank you for your enquiry.

We do not offer insurance cover for Shar-Peis as they are pre-disposed to
numerous medical conditions and our underwriters will not take on the risk

Like what?
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2004, 04:34 PM
Hip Dysplasia,
Chronic skin problems, in-turned eyelids (entropion) and allergies

but other breeds get the above too?
very weird
dizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2004, 06:53 PM
i wasnt aware we had a hip problem in the breed in the uk, ---who do you know that has ????? where did you find it out ??? as for eye problems the rings are now full of pei with untouched eyes. :smt071 ive not had an eye operation on any of mine-and as far as i know nothing i bred has either---that leaves the skin problems/----- when a horse coated pei moults it looks very similar to ringworm as the have no undercoat--theyve also found that they dont do well on beef product and some other foods. -since using the lamb/rice chicken/rice etc foods we see very few skin problems now-------im showing a bitch whos been in the ring now since she was 6 months-shes coming up 4 in october and shes not once been in bad coat------too many are living in the past, the breed has improved tremendously in the last few year, we can now hold our own in group rings etc against the more glamorous breeds , so we have to be doing something right!!!!

of course as in any breed you have the back street breeders who really dont give a dam and churn out poorly bred pups year in and out--------but dont they have them in most breeds !!!! :smt084
Lady Neeta
Dogsey Junior

26-06-2004, 06:08 AM
Mental note to self - don't use M & S insurance!

If their underwritters are so far behind, lacking in knowledge and judgemental about Sharpei what else don't they know????

PS OOooo look I'm a puppy! Aww bless....definately don't want to go to senior.....as a puppy I can do loads of naughty things and blame it on my age and poor training Right off to find something to chew.......
dizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2004, 09:22 AM
dogmadgem, could you please remember to let me know re the hip problem -as the uk's top breeder for the last 2 years amd currently this years then i feel its something i need to be aware of---please let me know which lines are having problems,
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2004, 09:27 AM
hello dizzy, i just found that info on www,pedigreedogs.co.uk
it listed those problems under shar pei.

go to compare breeds, then shar pei, scroll down, and it list them under health problems.
i must admit i thought it was strange.
dizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2004, 09:43 AM
oh ok----thanks for letting me know-i'll have a look,