Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 07:18 AM

Help! Any tips for keeping her focused?

As I posted previously Pepper and I have just started our agility classes, we've only done 3 weeks. She does everything I ask, no problems with refusing any equipment but, and it's a big one she is all over the place, literally!!!

As soon as she's done the jump, a-frame or whatever she thinks that's it and she's off! Fortunately it's in an enclosed space so she can't go too far but she'll be sniffing bushes or whatever takes her fancy, before eventually deigning to return to me.

So we've been doing most of our lessons on lead but does anyone have any tips for keeping her focused and her attention on me? I've tried high value treats and she's not really motivated by toys.

J
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 07:34 AM
Do you clicker train with her? This might help her to focus more especially if you use a really truely high value treat .....e.g you have to find something that she really really loves in that situation.

Do each piece of equipment, click in the correct place e.g the touch strip and treat, then slip your hand inside her collar and clip the lead back on again. Later on you may be able to get some more speed into it, but to break the habit of doing what she wants after each thing i would slow it down for a bit.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-09-2008, 07:35 AM
We've just started Agility too, and our dog has no interest in toys. Our Beagle has it in her to do exactly what yours is doing, but so far (i.e. ONE LESSON) she's been great. Probably beginners luck, but here's how I deal with the problem.

Beagles LOVE food. I take cooked liver pieces with me. Before she does something I make sure she knows I've got the liver. I take every oportunity to wave it under her nose and give her lots of easy, well practiced instructions to follow like sit, down, stay, leave to get her focussed on me before we start what I want her to do.

Then, when she's done the task she comes to me for the treat. I make her sit, put her lead on and give her a treat.

Now obviously we've practiced this routine at home.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Aww they are really new at agility, they will learn really quick that agility is the best thing in the world and if they focus they get to do more of it
and your trainer will help no end

One thing I accidently did that I found really helped
I ran with a handfull of treats giving out a treat whenever he had done something great then when my run was over I took him back to where I was sitting and gave him all the treats left over in my hand
Now after a run he trots back with me to my seat to get his lead back on and to get his treats
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 10:54 AM
It will come with time - promise!!

Jess had this with Connor but eventually he twigged ah right we do a few bits then the treat comes. Jess uses a treat pot which he fetches or is placed at the end of the row of jumps/obstacles.

Which also helped tremendously - but just take your time and they will soon realise what is expected. Am sure you don't but don't get cross when the run off just call them back quietly and then start again - it can be sooooo frustrating though can't it - max does it sometimes now with me

With Max I use a treat bag which gets thrown after each section - he fetches the bag to bring back to me to have his treat.

They all do this at the beginning

Just enjoy it - when it all comes together (rare now and again!) its brilliant
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Aww...have fun with the training.

I have always found doing a bit of nothing in life is free works wonders.....also loads of distraction training out and about on walks (Lots of watching me etc.)

Also having a command for the dog to start working and finish. If you can use the commands consistantly (evern when out and about one walks) the dog will learn to switch on to you when you use that command. (I use the commands 'Working' and 'finished' -often coupled with hand signals!)

Enjoy your training
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks for all the ideas, I shall certainly be giving them a go!

J