View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Hi Billydog, your dog isn't "sulking" this is an animal that has been bred to be a constant companion being left alone for more time than he can cope with..... don't forget he has no idea why it's gone from all to nothing

I'm not having a go I work full time myself but have found a way to manage ours to the point they can cope, circumstances change and we have to adapt to those changes unfortunately our dogs don't always adapt so well.

It's tempting to want to spend all your time with the dog when you are there when you are out for so long, you need to spend time working with them to build confidence to be alone, get all the help you can during the day to help this poor little one cope, if you are going to be working less in the future this may help you get there in one piece.

I hope you find a way to manage it as there is nothing worse than extreme separation anxiety, for all of you.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-01-2014, 02:21 AM
Originally Posted by Imana-Banana View Post
Hi Billydog, your dog isn't "sulking" this is an animal that has been bred to be a constant companion being left alone for more time than he can cope with..... don't forget he has no idea why it's gone from all to nothing

I'm not having a go I work full time myself but have found a way to manage ours to the point they can cope, circumstances change and we have to adapt to those changes unfortunately our dogs don't always adapt so well.

It's tempting to want to spend all your time with the dog when you are there when you are out for so long, you need to spend time working with them to build confidence to be alone, get all the help you can during the day to help this poor little one cope, if you are going to be working less in the future this may help you get there in one piece.

I hope you find a way to manage it as there is nothing worse than extreme separation anxiety, for all of you.
Completely agree with your post. It would be great if everyone who owns a dog can be home all the time, but it's just not reality. If people want to be able to afford their dogs and the care they need, having a job is a must. If the owner is never home, that's a different story. Not all dogs have separation anxiety. When I used to work or in school, i'd sneak up to the window all the time when I got home only to find all the boys sleeping away in their favourite spots, helped that they were raised this way as pups and is part of their daily routine. Even Peluche who I got at 14 sleeps the day away comfortable on his bed or couch.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Collies & springers need mental exercise far more than phyical exercise, both breeds in my experience will take as much exercise as you can give them & more. However doing mentally stimulating activities really do tire them out & also they do rest for long periods afterwards
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2