Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2014, 10:42 AM

Pet stores...

So I go into pet stores rather often... like once a week or more. By pet stores I mean the places where you can bring the dogs inside on leashes to walk about as you shop for random pet supplies or whatnot.

I always bring Nigredo, as he truly enjoys walking about the store... sniffing at bones on shelves, seeing the other dogs, and getting treats and pats from the employees. All that good stuff.

I have noticed that 95% of the people at these stores have small dogs. I have barely seen a dog half of Nigredo's size. He weighs in at 70 lbs (nearly 32 kg) now. We go rather often these days. And to quite a few different locations, as well.

I don't feel out of place because Nigredo is an extremely well behaved and balanced young guy who does a great job of making people (and dogs alike) love him to bits.

Everybody at these stores are always extremely friendly and love dogs, no matter what size. But I find it strange that nobody else brings big dogs almost at all.

Does anybody ever go to these places? If so, do you notice this at all? I wonder why this is the case? Or maybe it's just me? Idk...
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2014, 10:54 AM
I work at one
*high five for having a proper job*

I've seen more puppies than anything since before christmas
Chihuahuas, yorkies, jack russells, sher peis, german shepherds, staffies, DDB and a 'pomsky'.
Haven't seen many little dogs not being carried (older than a few months) though. The walking ones are labs, more german shepherds, more staffies... and Frodo

Actually, we have vets up on the mezzanine so that might be why a huge variety comes in
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-01-2014, 10:56 AM
On the rare occasions I do go to pet stores I generally leave all the dogs at home, I like to nip in and out, I'm a speed shopper but we get all sizes of dogs in pets at home, probably because their is a vet practice at the rear.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Well... it's not really a big deal. I was simply wondering. Most of the dogs I see are riding in the shopping cart with a dress or something on!! Gives me a giggle
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

07-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Well... it's not really a big deal. I was simply wondering. Most of the dogs I see are riding in the shopping cart with a dress or something on!! Gives me a giggle
None of mine wear clothes either
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
None of mine wear clothes either
I think they should.
Doberman in a tutu!
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2014, 11:11 AM
We have a large pet supermarket close by and every time I go in there are always more tiddly dogs than big hairy beasties like Banana.

We took foster boy in there once (Golden Retriever) and he cocked his leg on a crate They where very understanding
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

07-01-2014, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
I think they should.
Doberman in a tutu!
I was thinking more of the Pugs but that made me chuckle
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-01-2014, 11:21 AM
LOL, I sometimes take my two into PAH and yes , I agree,there does seem to be more little dogs than big ones, but then, in some ways they are easier to take around places generally than the bigger ones.

TBH, I can find it a bit stressful and it goes something like this;

" No Kibo, please don't cock your leg there"

" Yes boys, I know you'd love one of those honking ducks, but it's rude to just help yourself from the shelf "

" Oh my god, stop playing tuggie with the honking duck I said you couldn't have "

" Yes, you do love gravy bones, but we have planty of those at home thank you and we get them from Tesco because they're cheaper there "

" No Kibo, you can't cock your leg there either "

" Sami!!!! Just because that frail old lady smiled at you did not mean that you could forget the rule about having all four paws on the ground " ( said through gritted teeth while helping said old lady up off the floor, whilst the dogs wrap their leads around both of our legs )

" Kibo, that's a beautiful point, but please don't point at the bunnies, you're frightening them and all the children watching you "

All good fun, but generally a relief to be out of there.....
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2014, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Anniebee View Post
LOL, I sometimes take my two into PAH and yes , I agree,there does seem to be more little dogs than big ones, but then, in some ways they are easier to take around places generally than the bigger ones.

TBH, I can find it a bit stressful and it goes something like this;

" No Kibo, please don't cock your leg there"

" Yes boys, I know you'd love one of those honking ducks, but it's rude to just help yourself from the shelf "

" Oh my god, stop playing tuggie with the honking duck I said you couldn't have "

" Yes, you do love gravy bones, but we have planty of those at home thank you and we get them from Tesco because they're cheaper there "

" No Kibo, you can't cock your leg there either "

" Sami!!!! Just because that frail old lady smiled at you did not mean that you could forget the rule about having all four paws on the ground " ( said through gritted teeth while helping said old lady up off the floor, whilst the dogs wrap their leads around both of our legs )

" Kibo, that's a beautiful point, but please don't point at the bunnies, you're frightening them and all the children watching you "

All good fun, but generally a relief to be out of there.....

Sounds all too familiar....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >