Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zanily
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2014, 05:26 PM

Hands free jogging leash

Hi everyone

I'm long term fostering a Bull Terrier who is full of energy. I've recently started taking him jogging with me and he loves it (don't worry, I don't let him overheat)

Holding a leash while jogging is a little annoying so I've been thinking about getting one of those jogging leads that clip around your waist...Has anyone tried one?

I'm a bit concerened that the lead might not be suitable for a large, muscular dog. I mean, how safe are these leads?
If my bull terrier pulls on the lead for any reason, I don't want to get dragged around the park or end up with whiplash!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Hi Kitty I have a double ended long training lead with various d rings down its length. I use it with a harness.

It is about 2m full length and quite strong ,
http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/pr...-training-lead

I haven't jogged with it though...
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2014, 05:38 PM
We have a double ended lead which I can clip to make a look big enough to go over my shoulder, round my neck, to my waist. If he were to set of running and you wanted it loose you could just lean forwards and put your hand above your head for it to be pulled off. Otherwise it stays firm. I've always just used this for jogging and walks.
I did have a double ended lead which the metal clip snapped off when my dog pulled! Very dangerous, so I now test them all before I attach my dog to it. Not that he can jog any more.
Zanily
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2014, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the advice Meg and SarahJade,

Being dragged around the park or getting whiplash was obviously an exaggeration haha, however it is important that the lead is safe to use.
Bull Terriers can be rather stubborn and recall isn't one of their strong points..I've never had any issues with my Bully but I wouldn't be very pleased if the metal clip on his lead snapped!

Has anyone else used one of these hands free leads? Has anyone used one for jogging?
Meg
Supervisor

06-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Zanily View Post
Thanks for the advice Meg and SarahJade,

Being dragged around the park or getting whiplash was obviously an exaggeration haha, however it is important that the lead is safe to use.
Bull Terriers can be rather stubborn and recall isn't one of their strong points..I've never had any issues with my Bully but I wouldn't be very pleased if the metal clip on his lead snapped!

Has anyone else used one of these hands free leads? Has anyone used one for jogging?
Kitty are you using a harness on Bully.
I have a small loop and clip that I used as extra backup if Chloe slippered her harness.
It would loop onto one of the d rings on the lead while the clip went onto collar or harness which would then have 2 clips .

SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Kitty are you using a harness on Bully.
I have a small loop and clip that I used as extra backup if Chloe slippered her harness.
It would loop onto one of the d rings on the lead while the clip went onto collar or harness which would then have 2 clips .
That's a good idea. Where did you get the loop and clip from? Is it strong enough to hold a bully/big dog back?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

06-01-2014, 06:46 PM
I used to run holding a flexi but he was well trained and responsive, I'd have a look at one of the canicross sites such as this

http://www.innerwolf.co.uk/browse-by...canicross.html
Meg
Supervisor

06-01-2014, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by SarahJade View Post
That's a good idea. Where did you get the loop and clip from? Is it strong enough to hold a bully/big dog back?
Remember it is used in addition to a lead, I can't remember where I got it or what it is called

This is similar but shorter...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOG-SEAT-B...-/370476769776
Meg
Supervisor

06-01-2014, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I used to run holding a flexi but he was well trained and responsive, I'd have a look at one of the canicross sites such as this

http://www.innerwolf.co.uk/browse-by...canicross.html
....this is similar to the one I posted thank you Trouble ...

http://www.innerwolf.co.uk/browse-by...extention.html
Meg
Supervisor

06-01-2014, 07:31 PM
...this looks very strong, pricey though

http://www.southwestmountainsports.c...Leash+Dog+Lead
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >