Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shimoan
New Member!
Female 

06-01-2014, 01:30 AM

How do I go about finding a stud dog to breed with my irish staffy

I would like to breed my gorgeous pooch with another irish staffy to continue her features and temperament. Then get her spayed but how do I find a stud dog and go about it?????? Help plz I would like cherry to have a baby for a friend
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-01-2014, 09:38 AM
Hello I am sorry you are probably not going to want to hear this, but it is said with the best intentions and no offence meant.
Unless you already have good homes lined up for any puppies and are prepared to take back any puppies you sell for any reason at any time in their life I would forget about breeding your dog.

The rescue centers are brim full of dogs many of them Staffs and anything that risks adding to their numbers should be avoided.

Breeding from a sire and a dam that have been fully health tested for breed specipic conditions with an excellent temperament is good start but will not guarantee any dogs will have the same temperament . Any dog is a reflection of its upbringing and training as well as its breeding.

If you still wish to go ahead I would contact The Staffordshire Bull Terrier club for advice on finding a breeder with health tested stock.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2014, 09:44 AM
Hello

I have no first hand experience with breeding to offer, but I thought I'd jump in here with hopefully some advice - I don't mean any offence!

Are you 100% sure you want to breed your girl?
Staffies are recommended to have health tests before breeding - males and females. Has Cherry been health tested at all?
http://www.staffords.co.uk/sbtbc/health_issues.htm

Searching 'staffy' on Preloved brings up nearly 1500 ads alone. Another 1000+ on Pets4Homes. Rescues are chocka-block full of the poor things.
If your end result is to have a friend for your girl, it might be less... selfish (and cheaper!) to not bring an entire litter into the world for the sake of one dog of an already extremely overbred breed.

From my research, finding a stud would probably be on the easier end of the scale of breeding. There are so many more things to consider
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2014, 02:52 PM
I'm afraid that I have to agree with all that Meg and BlueJay have written. My current two dogs are both from rescue centres, and it was heartbreaking to see the number of Staffs. of all ages waiting for homes. I suggest that you visit your nearest rescue centre and see for yourself - you may even fall in love while you are there!