Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kiern
New Member!
Female 

04-01-2014, 05:39 PM

Laid back jogging companion?

I love rescues, all of my dogs have been rescues. But I really want to get a pedigree puppy with a breeder who will be around etc. so please don't just say got to a rescue place.

I have two dogs currently, a greyhound and a saluki cross. They are awesome, I love how chilled they are but I really want a dog who is that bit more active. When I walk them they are happy to go for a 15 minute stroll, and love to run in massive circles off the lead but don't really enjoy long walks on the lead. I'd love to have dog who I could take for long walks or go jogging with, but that is happy with most days just getting a couple 20 minute walks.

I need a dog that isn't super high maintenance, I don't want to have to hoover everyday and I don't like drool. They'd also have to be able to get along with other dogs and cats. I'm not too bothered about size, nothing tiny and fragile or massive.

Anyone have any suggestions of breeds, I was recommended a poodle, but all of the poodles I know personally are insane.
Thanks!
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2014, 10:50 PM
I sort of think doberman? Cavaliers take a surprising amount of exercise so it depends on how much running you do as they only have little legs
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-01-2014, 08:40 AM
If you get a puppy you will not be able to take it out for long walks until its bones and joints are fully developed, going by the usual recommendation of only 5 minutes for each month until it is fully grown.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

05-01-2014, 09:33 AM
I wouldn't suggest a Dobermann because they would require far more than 2 x 20 minute walks a day, more like a couple of hours of free running once mature.
I dunno what would be happy with that amount of exercise tbh as mine all get far more than that even the Pugs and I wouldn't recommend them as jogging companions
I'd think something like a Parson Russell, Norwich terrier they tend to go with the flow and are relatively easy dogs.
s7eph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2014, 02:33 PM
Sibeian Huskey !!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

05-01-2014, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by s7eph View Post
Sibeian Huskey !!
Would need more that 2 x20 mins a day .
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2014, 04:42 PM
I understand greyhounds are usually happy with that amount of exercise.
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2014, 12:31 PM
If you like sighthounds, what about a whippet? You'll be familiar with the low drool/low smell/low shedding features from your grey, and whippets are generally more active.

I jog with mine, and one of them in particular loves to just walk and walk for miles. They are also very good at chilling out in the typical sighthound way, and are fine if they don't get much time walking one day, or even no walk at all.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2014, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Kiern View Post
I have two dogs currently, a greyhound and a saluki cross. They are awesome, I love how chilled they are but I really want a dog who is that bit more active. When I walk them they are happy to go for a 15 minute stroll, and love to run in massive circles off the lead but don't really enjoy long walks on the lead. I'd love to have dog who I could take for long walks or go jogging with, but that is happy with most days just getting a couple 20 minute walks.
If you intend to jog & do some long brisk walks the dog will build up fitness and probably won't be happy with the 2 x 20min walk days, that's the thing. Do the short walks include free running & play with other dogs etc so short in time rather than distance?
Edited: just read SneaksyWhippet's post, sounds like an option maybe.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2014, 02:07 PM
What about a cocker spaniel? I had one once, and she was happy to get her longer walks at week-ends, shorter walks during the week when I was working, or just a train ride to work with me without a walk on some days. I think cocker spaniels are very accommodating dogs, they're so full of life, they seem happy with anything, unlike my current gsd who would be climbing the walls if she only got 20 mins twice a day, so please don't get one of those, although of course, she'd love the trotting alongside your jogging, it's their favourite pace, but that would have to be every, single day. Maybe get a mountain bike and your 20 mins could turn into a good 40 mins twice a day that way?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >