Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by tokiayla View Post
Lovely stories everyone, tinged with a little sadness

Just over 5 years ago now I went to Cyprus to work in a dog rescue for 2 months.
2 weeks in and Stone arrived at the shelter at 18 months old.
His owners (moved over from England about 8 months previously) were killed in a horrible car accident - 3 days later, the relatives brought 3 of their 5 dogs in. There was Stone, a HUGE beautiful weimaraner and a HUGE greyhound, and two huskies that were rehomed to a family member. Weimie and greyhound were homed together to one of the other volunteers. I spent a lot of time with Stone as he was so confused - we hung out for hours every day. He came in in beautiful condition but lost so much weight and muscle in the shelter. It was a puny thing with a big head that crawled on his belly out of the airport
I was meaning to get another GSD when I got home....never imagined I'd ever had a white one!
He was very timid but is a completely different dog now.
I am still in contact with his previous owners parents who live in Cyprus - they've sent me photos of him as a pup!
They got him at 4 months - he was seized from a house in Bexhill on Sea by the police with a litter sister in a terrible state and totally terrified - taken to a vet there and Stone went home with one of the nurses there and the policeman took the little girl.
He was born over here as the relatives gave me all his papers and pedigree etc - I have been able to contact the breeder (not a particularly reputable one) to tell them I have him and he is safe now. Not that they were particularly interested!

I felt a bit guilty bringing him home as it cost a fortune, and I could have rehomed about 8 dogs over here for that much, but I totally fell in love with him and just couldn't leave without him.
He has not been without his problems - he has terrible arthritis in his elbows - he is now a happy chilled out friendly boy.
We have been inseparable since the day I laid eyes on him

Hard to believe he will be 8 years old next year!
His old owners parents still send him birthday and xmas cards every year without fail, enclosing a fiver each time to buy him something. I call and email them with updates and photos - they are so lovely.
'Tis YOU tokiayla who is so LOVELY! Of course I had to read this one you having got him from Cyprus where I live. Which shelter was it you worked for?

I know of one who has been rehomed to the UK now who was in such a bad state that it was almost impossible to tell what the breed was when it was taken in. I will find the photos and you will see there are angels on earth - people who could see a dog in that condition and decide that was the only dog for them.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2013, 07:48 PM
This is Nellie. If the municipality here had been called she would have immediately put down. A married couple who work rescuing got her safely to a vet where it was feared she might have leishmania but bloods were clear. A rescue effort by the kennels who cared for her for nothing, the fosterer who took her in to build her up and now her new mum and dad in the UK - in the words of her rescuer, Marta
It was Sunday afternoon and I was in Nicosia and had no means to go there, had no foster home, nothing was in order. The whole Monday I tried to find someone in Larnaca who would go and pick her up and someone who would foster her at least for a while. The same day I received the call that children in the neighborhood noticed her and poking her with sticks. She was very terrified. So there was no time to keep searching and my husband took the day off work on Tuesday 28th of May to go and pick her up and take her to the vet. We arrived and start walking around and searching for the dog. In a while I saw her sticking out her head from the bushes she was hiding in. I think I froze for the second. As she started to come out and I saw her body I was at least shocked. She trusted me enough to take her on the lead. When we arrived to the vet clinic, just from the first look at her the vet started to hint on leishmania and that the dog in that state may not make it. But it was agreed to wait for the results of the blood tests. Those were the longest 15 min of my life. I was sitting there, in the chair and she was laying down next to me and all the time looking at me. She did not move her eyes even for a second. And I was praying to all forces in the universe for leishmania blood test come out negative. For that 15 min I used probably all the tissues in the vet clinic. The test for leishmania came out negative. And after it was a long process of putting on the weight and getting better... Now she is in the UK living with a wonderful family who loves her more than I could even wish.
And the words of the new mum ...
As Nellies new mummy I cannot thank Marta and her hubby and all those involved with the rescue and rehabilitation enough. I knew from that very first horrific picture that Marta posted that this was the dog for us. Something immediately caught my heart and from that day on poor Marta had to endure my constant messaging requesting updates etc and requests that we could adopt her. I was prepared to do anything for her, my thoughts day and night were of nothing but Nellie until it was finally confirmed that we had been chosen to be her forever family!!
We still had to wait what seemed like ages for her to get well enough for her flight but she was worth waiting for. Then, a few days before her flight Marta contacted me to say that Nellie was unwell and wouldn't be able to fly. We ere devastated and I felt completely deflated. But I wasn't going to give up - I'd waited for her so long another couple of weeks would be easy or so I thought!!! They were the worst - waiting waiting waiting, everyday taking so long!!!
Then finally, she arrived and my hubby went to fetch her. When she came to my door my love was instant and the wait had paid off. She is the most caring, sweet little girl ever!!! She will never ever want for anything, and hopefully one day she will forget about the terrible things that life dealt her in the beginning! She's gently snoring in her bed now after a day at work with her big brother Reg and dad - bet her dreams are happy ones now!!!
That someone could have seen beyond those horrific pictures to the dog this could be and set about making that come true. Well there are many similar stories in Cyprus and not all have such happy endings. This one just sticks in my mind because of the words of the new owner that they knew it was the dog for them.

A testament too to what difference a couple of months of devoted care, treatment and love can make. Hard to believe it is the same dog.
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
'Tis YOU tokiayla who is so LOVELY! Of course I had to read this one you having got him from Cyprus where I live. Which shelter was it you worked for?

I know of one who has been rehomed to the UK now who was in such a bad state that it was almost impossible to tell what the breed was when it was taken in. I will find the photos and you will see there are angels on earth - people who could see a dog in that condition and decide that was the only dog for them.
Awww thank you!
I was at PAWS dog shelter near Paphos airport. It was the best 2 months of my life - some horrific situations to deal with but lots of happiness too.
I was back over there for the first time earlier in the year for a holiday and I feel TERRIBLE but I just could not bring myself to visit the shelter - I know some of the dogs I got to know are still there and I couldn't bear to see them. One in particular that I should have brought home too - breaks my heart.
BUT at least they are safe and have a bed and food and friends.
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2013, 07:59 PM
OMG Tang, I have tears in my eyes!
She looks so amazing now from looking so poorly!
The horrors out there break my heart - I wished I could have stayed there to help even just a little bit
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread but.....

This was me with one of my favourite old ladies - called 'Tittybumps' - such a sweet old girl

And me with a poorly old boxer 'Yeltsin' having a last cuddle before being PTS with liver problems from neglect - he was sooo loving - I was devastated but glad I got to say goodbye
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2013, 09:07 PM
What a lovely thread this is and some lovely stories.
The two that really brought tears to my eyes are:

Jen I had no idea that was how you came about Bandit That really was awesome that you went back that day to check on the box whether it was fate, intuition .... whatever, but thank god you did and what a very very special chap Bandit is

Tang - Those wonderful people that rescued Nellie and gave her a second chance.

All the stories on this thread are heartwarming ... thanks.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2013, 09:32 PM
I worked at the Malcolm cat sanctuary in limassol for a year before moving to Larnaca. I still get involved here and support many of the shelters and have good friends who work tirelessly with these poor animals. I've never posted any of their stories before. Mainly because they are distressing but also because there is usually the response to any appeals for animals abroad that the UK has enough problems of its own. My feelings are that an animal in need or distress is just that - wherever in the world it is. And if problems were not worse in countries outside the UK you wouldn't get so many Brits wanting to take one home with them when they see them here.

Where I live now street dogs fare quite well compared with further west.

The people I could cheerfully murder with my bare hands are not those ignorant t of how to treat animals it is the Brits who are leaving the island in increasing numbers because of the economy and leaving their pets behind. A supposed nation of animal lovers. One charity named and shamed them but were stopped from doing so.

My boarding kennels have had another five left with them this month. Is a 'Brit' ploy - book them into kennels and just don't ever collect. Don't even pay - and of course no one thinks it's odd when Brits book dogs in - is mainly Brits who use boarding. Hardly any Cypriots board dogs. They get family to feed them if they go away.

Saddest of all is that a lot of these dogs were rescued out taken off the streets by them to begin with.
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
The people I could cheerfully murder with my bare hands are not those ignorant t of how to treat animals it is the Brits who are leaving the island in increasing numbers because of the economy and leaving their pets behind. A supposed nation of animal lovers. One charity named and shamed them but were stopped from doing so.

My boarding kennels have had another five left with them this month. Is a 'Brit' ploy - book them into kennels and just don't ever collect. Don't even pay - and of course no one thinks it's odd when Brits book dogs in - is mainly Brits who use boarding. Hardly any Cypriots board dogs. They get family to feed them if they go away.

Saddest of all is that a lot of these dogs were rescued out taken off the streets by them to begin with.
Exactly what I saw - over half the dogs that came in while I was there belonged to the fleeing Brits - heart breaking and just doesn't sit right with me. Yes, some circumstances were unavoidable, but not many

I got seriously bitched at by some for bringing my boy home!
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2014, 08:31 PM
Some amazing stories!
Any more? Or any more pics?
The transformation in Nellie is incredible.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2014, 02:38 AM
Nigredo is my adopted shelter rescue puppy. I don't think he was abused or anything so I don't have this epic story to tell like lots of people.

He seems like a good spirited puppy who was simply born from an unwanted pregnant bitch. A shelter in Louisiana that adopts out only tiny dogs (Pomeranian breed rescue) found his mother preggo and took her in until she gave birth etc.

The puppies were too big for the shelter to keep, so they phoned about and got them transferred to a shelter here in Atlanta. Only Nigredo and one of his sisters were left out of (they tell me) 12 puppies after only a month of being there! That's how adorable all of them must have been.

He was born in a shelter, and knew nothing about being in a home at all. He hooked me at first sight. I got him in April and gave him a permanent home. Here is his photo line:

A wee 3 months, first day home. Only 20 pounds (and still had a lab ear!!)

LITTLE older... perhaps 2 months older

About 7 months

Little bit less of a pin head a few months later

Anndddd finally... at just over a year old 71 pounds and still growing (lost the lab ear.. both are beauceron ears now!!)

You'll have to excuse the deplorable condition of that area...
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >