View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-11-2012, 06:59 AM
How frustrating for you. I hope this hasn't set the healing back too much.

Have you ever tried the stuff they sell to protect sledge-pulling dogs paws? It is some sort of balm that is meant to protect their pads when they're pulling on snow. I saw it when I was looking for Canicross equipment on the Snowpaws website I think.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Hi Sally how is the paw this morning ...
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Oh that's hard, isn't it? If the honey seems to work for a bit then I'd keep on doing it and see what the vet says tomorrow. I really do hope you get it sorted. Loki is doing well with the Hibiscrub but I dread to think what will happen when we run out. That constant licking drives you mad!
I think that you can get Hibiscrub from chemists, and it might be cheaper than from the vet. Poor Loki, and poor you because it drives you demented doesn't it.

Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Poor Jimmi and you going through all this again just when you think things are getting better.

No suggestions sorry. Just some (((hugs))).
Thank you Lynn, hugs are always gratefully received.

Originally Posted by GirondeDeb View Post

Have you ever tried the stuff they sell to protect sledge-pulling dogs paws? It is some sort of balm that is meant to protect their pads when they're pulling on snow. I saw it when I was looking for Canicross equipment on the Snowpaws website I think.
I will have a look at that - it sounds interesting.

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Sally how is the paw this morning ...
Hi there - well it was looking quite good this morning; I put some more honey on plus the boot, but when I removed the boot a couple of hours later it all looked red raw and sore again. However, this happened before when using the honey and after a while it all settles down and looks really good. I wonder if the action of the honey, which combines drawing out of any infection plus everything else, causes an initial reaction? I must go and do some googling. Anyway, he is walking much better on it now. I just wish that we didn't have to go to this funeral on Monday and leave daughter in charge - it worries me; not that she is incompetent or anything, but she must be very aware about not leaving him alone without his lampshade on.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2012, 08:20 PM
A quick update and I am so angry with myself

After googling and checking, it is very clear that the strength of honey that I have been using on Jimmi is far too strong for medicinal purposes. Although it does heal, it causes stinging and a burning sensation as well as some inflammation - no wonder it looked horrible afterwards. So for anyone out there looking to use Manuka honey on wounds, make sure that it is between 12+ and 14+.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

10-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
A quick update and I am so angry with myself

After googling and checking, it is very clear that the strength of honey that I have been using on Jimmi is far too strong for medicinal purposes. Although it does heal, it causes stinging and a burning sensation as well as some inflammation - no wonder it looked horrible afterwards. So for anyone out there looking to use Manuka honey on wounds, make sure that it is between 12+ and 14+.
Aww poor Jimmy, though I don't think it would be top bad as much of it probably came off with him walking? Your vet recommended that strength too didn't he?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Yes Azz he did, or rather when he asked what strength I had and I told him, he said that was fine. I wish now that he had given me one of the veterinary tubes of the stuff.

The thing is, it wouldn't come off for a couple of hours because he had a boot on to keep it there Still, I won't use any more - before applying it today he was walking without limping, and afterwards he was really sore on it again.

I will pop to Tesco tomorrow as I know that they do a couple of lower strength ones
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2012, 09:27 PM
(((((((((hugs)))))))) for Jimmi and you, and don't beat yourself up, you didn't know about the strength problem. Good luck with the Tesco run tomorrow to get the right honey. I'd be more inclined to put it on when you get back from a walk perhaps Not only will the boot wear most of it off, but it might also cause a bit of friction that you don't want and start rubbing the new scab off I think you want a nice, dry dressing for Jimmi's walkies. I know you don't want honey all over the carpets, but you can wrap it for half an hour surely whilst it sinks in and then let the air get to it whilst he is indoors with no boots and no bandage?

Must be getting to be a nightmare old bean, I do feel for you and poor little Jimmi
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
(((((((((hugs)))))))) for Jimmi and you, and don't beat yourself up, you didn't know about the strength problem. Good luck with the Tesco run tomorrow to get the right honey. I'd be more inclined to put it on when you get back from a walk perhaps Not only will the boot wear most of it off, but it might also cause a bit of friction that you don't want and start rubbing the new scab off I think you want a nice, dry dressing for Jimmi's walkies. I know you don't want honey all over the carpets, but you can wrap it for half an hour surely whilst it sinks in and then let the air get to it whilst he is indoors with no boots and no bandage?

Must be getting to be a nightmare old bean, I do feel for you and poor little Jimmi
It IS a nightmare, and one that we cannot seem to wake up from at the moment. You know all about it though with dear old Georgie.

No walkies at all at the moment old bean, which is another reason why he and I are in a decline!

Yes, when I get the new lower strength honey he will just have a loose wrapping on for a bit - then I will sort of dab it with kitchen towel to take the excess off, as I have been doing.

I am hoping that my next post will be a very positive one!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Sally what a nuisance the foot breaking out again does the vet think Jimmy's paw troubles are down to an allergy problem?

Originally Posted by GirondeDeb View Post

Hi Debs that's a bit like paw wax I think or 'invisible boots' isn't it like this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Invisible-Do...2583050&sr=8-2

Sally something of that kind may help to protect Jimmy's pads but if you were to use anything like that I would do an allergy test by applying it to a tiny match stick size area of another part of the body first to make sure there is no reaction.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Hi Mini, no this particular paw is not part of his allergy problems, the ones that are affected develop abscesses which compared to this are a doddle to deal with! This injury was from some unknown sharp thing that sliced his pad - it keeps healing, and then breaking down again, and to be honest it depresses me because the reason for the breakdown each time is totally unpreventable, i.e. he scuffs it on the carpet. Walking is fine once it has healed over, and so is running around in the garden, but how on earth do you predict and prevent that sudden berserkum around the room? He will just suddenly set off, as most dogs do at some point during the day, and madly hurtle around skidding on his paws. That is what has set him back again each time with this, and I am in despair!

I will look into that link, but am extremely wary because of his allergies.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >