Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-08-2005, 11:17 PM
Ermmm I'm kinda at a loss here

I was going to recommend a Wireless ADSL Router for you but since I bought one 2 months ago it's doubled in price

Anyway, you set the encryption up on the Wireless ADSL Router You set the passkey on it and tell the computers the passkey. On XP it's generally a piece of cake.

If you need a network card for your computer give me a shout... I've plenty here that you can have

Graeme
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2005, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by Graeme
Ermmm I'm kinda at a loss here

I was going to recommend a Wireless ADSL Router for you but since I bought one 2 months ago it's doubled in price

Anyway, you set the encryption up on the Wireless ADSL Router You set the passkey on it and tell the computers the passkey. On XP it's generally a piece of cake.

If you need a network card for your computer give me a shout... I've plenty here that you can have

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

I've been looking in my bible (the Argos catalogue - well my O/H does call it church because we go every Sunday ) and there is a BT router in Argos for £79.99 and a Usb wireless thingy for £34.99 but you can get them both together for £89.99 so do you think they will be okay

And what is a network card and will I need one

Thanks Graeme
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-08-2005, 11:41 PM
LOL

This is how I would set it up (ok I would make it 10 times more complicated )

~~~~~~~~~> Laptop (wireless)
|
|
|
ADSL Wireless ----> Network Card ----> Computer
Router
|
|
|
~~~~~~~~~> USB Wireless Thing----> Daughters Computer

The ADSL Wireless router plugs into your phone line

If it's a USB ADSL Wireless Router you don't need a network card. If it's an ethernet one you will

Graeme
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2005, 12:26 AM
LOL

This is how I would set it up (ok I would make it 10 times more complicated )

~~~~~~~~~> Laptop (wireless)
|
|
|
ADSL Wireless ----> Network Card ----> Computer
Router
|
|
|
~~~~~~~~~> USB Wireless Thing----> Daughters Computer

The ADSL Wireless router plugs into your phone line

If it's a USB ADSL Wireless Router you don't need a network card. If it's an ethernet one you will

Graeme

Oh dear, I'm even more confused now The one I was thinking of is a BT Voyager 2110 wireless ADSL router with turbo. Do you think this will need a card?
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-08-2005, 12:33 AM
THIS one?

Yeah it looks like you'll need one for the main PC

PM me your address if you want and i'll send one down

Graeme
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2005, 12:40 AM
THIS one?

Yeah it looks like you'll need one for the main PC

PM me your address if you want and i'll send one down

Graeme

Okay thank you very much Graeme will do.

Just one more question - where do I put the card in the main PC, is there a slot or something for it somewhere
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Just one more question - where do I put the card in the main PC, is there a slot or something for it somewhere
Yes foxy when you open your pc up you'll find slots like the ones in the pic (circled in red)below just pic one and install the pci card in that. Then when you boot up your pc windows finds it and asks if you want to install the new hardware found just follow the intructions and you'll be fine.

Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by leo
Yes foxy when you open your pc up you'll find slots like the ones in the pic (circled in red)below just pic one and install the pci card in that. Then when you boot up your pc windows finds it and asks if you want to install the new hardware found just follow the intructions and you'll be fine.

Awww thanks Leo Although we have never opened it up before do you think it will be safe for us to do or will be have to let someone with computer knowledge do it

Does the card have to go in the main computer that is receiving broadband or the one upstairs that isn't connected at all? and what does the card do, will it not work without it at all?
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-08-2005, 03:46 PM
We want to go on broadband but I am unsure whether we will have to buy anything extra. We are on Wanadoo dial-up at the moment and would like to upgrade to Wandadoo wireless Broadband (because the laptap is already geared up for wireless internet and my daughter wants her computer upstairs on the net too (and I might not see her till Christmas then with any luck so it will be well worth it )

It says they provide the modem and two filters (although I don't know what filters are for ) and they are doing a special offer of Wireless internet free for 6 months for customers new to broadband and then it would be £4 a month extra after that on top of the £17.99 a month for broadband.

With wireless broadband how far can you take your computer and still get access to the internet?

If I do have wireless broadband will I have to buy anything extra or will Wanadoo provide everything that we need to set it up?

Also what is Ethernet because I think it mentioned something about this.
you can use it up to 300 meters away from the wireless access point depending what is between that and the computor and depending on the hardwear what you have.
http://www.iss.net/wireless/WLAN_FAQ.php
if you look on the net for security you will find all you need be carefull with wireless if somebody logs in on your wirless and uses pay sites YOU pay ok if you need info you can pm me.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-08-2005, 07:49 PM
Although we have never opened it up before do you think it will be safe for us to do or will be have to let someone with computer knowledge do it?
(Before you doing any electrical work make sure that it is disconnected from the mains)(make sure that there is no static ground yourself touch the case before you go inside as static can kill any pc)
You don't need any special knowledge to this at all it's easy if your system is in a tower and it's atx format (it properly will be they mostly are) then as you look at the tower from the front remove the screws on the left side of your pc and remove the cover that will give you access to the inside then you will see the pci ports and all the other components. Insert the pci card into the pc it can only go in one way so don't worry about that. Then secure with a small screw (like the ones that you took out to open your case) fasten up your pc then start it up install the drivers then your away.

Does the card have to go in the main computer that is receiving broadband or the one upstairs that isn't connected at all?
That all depends on if you go for true wireless or USB power and wireless I will explain the difference.
USB Power + wireless (no pci card required for the main pc)
The modem is powered by the pc via one of its USB ports as it has not got its own power supply. The pc upstairs can only access the internet if your pc is on because it's yours that provides the power to the modem the upstairs system will require a pci card fitted to it to send and receive the signal from the modem from downstairs.

True wireless (no cables from modem to pc)
Both pc's will have to have pci cards fitted and will have independent access to the internet as the modem has its own power supply

and what does the card do, will it not work without it at all?
The cards talk to the modem to receive the internet connection (the cards have little aerials on the back of them

see here
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2