Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Don't think Betty would keep me alive for long she is so tiny, Mollie has been my constant friend for 12 years so I couldn't do it to her any more than I could kill my husband and eat him !
Oh I'd have no trouble eating my husband
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
I know its about people and not dogs..but remember the case of the plane crash,were the surviving passengers survived by eating the remains of the dead passengers Its horrific to think about it,eating a human or dog to survive Unimagineable,think the majority of people would agree with that but I'd say none of us( hopefully) have been put in a life or death situation were we have had to make such a horrendous decision.If it came down to it...things might be different ( only saying MIGHT )
Yes I thought of those too. Been more than one (mind you the passengers they served up were (allegedly) already dead.

3 days without food is not a long time. You need water more than food. You can go without food for much longer. But maybe once you are REALLY starving you are too lightheaded to consider cooking your dog?

And we are trying to imagine eating our relatively pampered PETS. I doubt he saw his dog that way or wouldn't have been in the situation he was in with it.

I've only just read the story on the link. My last thoughts are it is only because it was HIS dog we are discussing this. They eat dogs in many countries and we don't discuss that. So this is a valid point for discussion - could you eat YOUR dog?

I imagine it would be quite another matter if you were in agony from starvation and were offered dog as a stew or meal - to save your life. Not YOUR dog, just dog on the menu as horses are in many countries.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 01:42 PM
We don't know how his dog was coping with no food though do we ? could be he put him out of his misery even ?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
We don't know how his dog was coping with no food though do we ? could be he put him out of his misery even ?
All good questions Julie and I have in mind this was a report from the Daily Fail - bit sensationalist to say the least.

Making much of the fact that the dog saved his life. Well only the man in question could have told them that couldn't he? So I don't imagine he was crowing about eating 'his dog'.

And by all accounts in that part of the world there isn't much to survive on if you have no supplies. So presumably the dog too would have died from starvation.

I wanted to ask how long the dog lasted him as he was there with no food FOR AGES after he killed his dog and in a severe advanced state of malnutrition when rescued.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Yes I thought of those too. Been more than one (mind you the passengers they served up were (allegedly) already dead.

3 days without food is not a long time. You need water more than food. You can go without food for much longer. But maybe once you are REALLY starving you are too lightheaded to consider cooking your dog?

And we are trying to imagine eating our relatively pampered PETS. I doubt he saw his dog that way or wouldn't have been in the situation he was in with it.

I've only just read the story on the link. My last thoughts are it is only because it was HIS dog we are discussing this. They eat dogs in many countries and we don't discuss that. So this is a valid point for discussion - could you eat YOUR dog?

I imagine it would be quite another matter if you were in agony from starvation and were offered dog as a stew or meal - to save your life. Not YOUR dog, just dog on the menu as horses are in many countries.
Agree with you.Story is made sadder by the fact this guy's dog had literally saved his life against the bear Obviously been a loyal companion Doesn't say whether the dog was injured during the incident
Horrific as it sounds I'd have to say,if you were put in a position were you're survival instinct kicked in big time,it might be surprising what you'd be capable of
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Don't know what i'd do if I was so starving my mind wasn't right, but I can't conceive of me being able to eat one of my dogs. Or any dog for that matter. Good thing I always ask if i'm not familiar with the food i'm being offered.
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Pavlov's dog got eaten by the starved
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by KYes View Post
Pavlov's dog got eaten by the starved
didn't know that
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Definitely a no from me too, never in a million years. Like Meg, I'd rather curl up and die with her, but 3 days Blimey, they left me in hospital awaiting a scan without food for 3 days once and I didn't die There are plenty of lakes in Canada, in fact, there's one there in the article I saw, don't fish live in lakes along with other things you can eat in there? I can't get my head around how he could kill his dog with a rock either How could he do that Surely, if he's set off into the wilderness like that, he'd have had a hunting knife on him surely Better to have stabbed it straight in the heart than to hit it with a rock imo.

OMG I feel sick now just thinking of doing this to my beloved dog
Izzythesprocker
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2013, 04:59 PM
No. My dog is my baby. That and she would hunt for food, keep me warm and safe. I don't think eating the hunter would be clever...
Also I look at my dog's face and I melt inside. Could I kill a beautiful, loving creature? No.

Saying that I do not know his situation. People have been known to have to eat other to survive. His situation may have been serious, either eat the dog or die. He had to both be very strong and very weak to eat his dog. I just feel bad for him. He now has to live with the fact he ate the dog that saved him...
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >