Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 07:57 AM

Glow in the Dark Collars?

I make Beta Biothane horse and dog equipment, Beta is a strong supple waterproof and rot proof material. Last night I found some material that glows in the dark and thought it would make good collars now it's getting dark.
Would you as dog owners be interested in these collars (possibly leads as well?) or are the usual retroreflective/flashing light ones more useful to you?
I believe the material is white in normal light, and gathers it's energy from the light and then glows green in the dark.
I am thinking of getting some material to make one for my own dog, but wondered if there was any call to make them as a product.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 03:04 PM
No one interested?
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Well just brought a couple of collars off ebay but the leads are a good idea for lead walking in the dark and making us owners more visable.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Aye, I'd go with a glow in the dark leash over a collar. I doubt a collar would even be seen through Rupes fur.
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2010, 04:36 PM
We have a Chihuahua, a waterproof/showerproof coat would be good to put over a fleece if it's wet like last year. The hi-viz material is great for the winter nights.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 05:06 PM
It would depend on how visible the glow is. If it is visible from a decent distance (say 20 yards or more) then, yes, I'd be very interested. My dogs are off lead on the Downs in the dark so I need to be able to have a bright light that canbe seen from a fair distance. I've found the visiglo LED ones are the best. Also, if there's no sun in the day, would they still glow in the dark?
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 06:16 PM
What might be an idea is to make collar covers - just a sheath of glow material one side, so it can be threaded onto or velcro-ed over a normal collar.

Something similar that can be attached to a harness would be useful as well, for dogs that wear them. Could also make covers for leads too?

Another idea might be velcro glow bands for putting round the dog's front (or hind) legs.

I love glow in the dark stuff anyway - have been looking for a GITD ball for ages!

I'd def be interested in a collar cover, and willing to trial any form of harness attachments too as my lad wears a Mekuti.

I've experimented with reflective material too in the past - collar/lead/harness covers in that would also be ideal as it will reflect the light from a torch at night (if you carry one, as I do).
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2010, 06:46 PM
I'd be interested as long as it was a fairly strong glow, it would be nice not to have to worry about batteries failing in the rain
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks (ref pm) but I prefer ones that flash. The previous ones I bought flashed and glowed, I found the glow fine ref tourch use but other than that, no good for our needs. But goodluck and I am sure some people find them useful xxx