Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 10:08 AM

Age differences...

If introducing a new dog into an established doggy family, is it best to go with a dog of the opposite sex, if there are say 2 resident bitches...or best to stick with the same sex...is it best to go for similar age...or younger...or older...

Example, if there was a year old bitch and a 13 year old bitch...would it be okay to introduce a 5 year old male...or better to introduce a 2/3 year old bitch that is speyed (if the resident bitch is entire...) Who is the younger bitch most likely to get along with??? Assuming all dog the dogs are dog friendly.

For a friend...
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Must admit, I've never had 3 dogs at the same time, but I should imagine that it really depends on the dogs involved.

None of my 2nd dogs have been pups when introduced and although younger than the existing dog, age was no indication of 'rank'. I've introduced female to male and female to female and both have worked out ok, though of course the dynamics will be different when you introduce a 3rd dog rather than a 2nd.

If (and I'm hopeful that it will happen at some stage) we get a 3rd dog, my preference will probably be for a male....but then again, if there is a female needing a home and she gets on when introduced to my two, I wouldn't rule it out. I do think that the correct balance of temperaments is probably more important than the mix of sexes/ages.

Not sure that's been much help really
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 10:29 AM
No that's helpful....thanks Hali
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 10:30 AM
I would probably go for the male if it were me.

The 13 year old is probably still alpha female and the younger bitch possibly knows this but bringing another female in not sure I would want to risk. Also probably depends whether this bitch had been in a pack before and what her 'status' was.

Males are always lower than the females!!! Regardless of age etc!!! And they certainly get told this!

Bit like in our house generally Poor Ken outnumbered human wise
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
I would probably go for the male if it were me.

The 13 year old is probably still alpha female and the younger bitch possibly knows this but bringing another female in not sure I would want to risk. Also probably depends whether this bitch had been in a pack before and what her 'status' was.

Males are always lower than the females!!! Regardless of age etc!!! And they certainly get told this!

Bit like in our house generally Poor Ken outnumbered human wise

Now that is really interesting Rachel...so if it was 2 males and not 2 females...would it matter so much?
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Now that is really interesting Rachel...so if it was 2 males and not 2 females...would it matter so much?
Aghh that is a different question - would very much depend on the males totally - for example in my house if Angus was the younger dog - probably not - he would probably accept the female better than a male - he struggles to cope with his 'status' in the pack as it so another male - unless neutered maybe!

(Does that make sense??)

The other boys it would probably accept either (but depending on the male's temperament of course!)

Think I might need to change my name to Ramble2! now.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Also - bitches tend to take hierarhcy much more seriously than the males - have never had it myself but when they choose to fall out - it is a more serious matter. Hence why I would be wary introducing an older bitch even if speyed.

I have previously had bitches but they were both speyed and had a reasonable gap between them and introduced from puppies.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 10:51 AM
I think it very much depends on the dogs involved and what breed they are .
I have whippets and a lurcher who are totally non aggressive with every dog they meet but a terrier for example would have the potential to be a lot more fiesty .

I only ever have bitches and at present I have 5 , 2 of whom are rescues but I have never had a problem but probably that's because of the breed they are
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 10:51 AM
We had a third dog very briefly when we looked after my stepdad's bedlington (unneutered male). Bryan was much more upset about the whole thing than A - he bullied the bedlington for a bit.

I've been told by a few people that it's hardest to introduce two bitches (like Rachel says because they take the hierarchy most seriously) and this has been my experience with A. She's much more likely to act aggressive towards a bitch than a dog.

If it was me I'd prefer to get a male if I already had two bitches, but like everyone says as well it all depends on the dog.

It's a bit of a 'suck and see' type thing I think
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Not in our house theyre not

I would probably go for a male, but as has been said it would depend on the temperament of the new dog and how they fit in with the others. I wouldn't rule out a bitch but think there is more potential for conflict.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >