View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spot
Dogsey Veteran

29-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Where I walk my dogs, there is a heard of deer, for the acreage they live on, they can become overpopulated, for the heard to survive they need to have there numbers kept in check.... a while back in the year. they did a cull..... dont know how many they killed but they will have done a natural selection...the old, weak, and young males...

And did you enjoy watching those deer being chased over the country side to exhaustion and then being bought down by a pack of hounds on a frosty morning?

Well you see, I dont need to go read articles to find information on the fox.

I go by what I know, and what I have seen and I guess, not many foxes have read the manual either

You dont know much about the working of the hunt either it seems.

A hunt works in with two separate divisions 1) the hunt itself, which will consist of the Huntsman and his staff, (whip) and so on...usually amount to around 4 in total..these are the ones who do the hunting, they are the ones who will more than likely be in on a kill...(if that) it is usually over by the time they get there.

2) The field...lead by a field master..his job is to keep the "field" (bums on horses) under control, of land where they are not allowed to go and generally keeping them out of the "huntsman" way.

They are not involved with the hunting of the fox... occasionally some will be sent on point (the experienced ones) but it is very unlikely members of the field will be involved or see a kill...it can happen , but usually be default.

There is nothing like standing on a hill in the middle of the country side, on a cold frosty winter morning... hearing they bay of the pack in the distance.. catching sight of horse and rider galloping across the open fields...

I will never tire of it, and long may it go on.

This subject will never be an easy one to discuss... everyone will have strong opinions, and I respect them all.

Each to their own!!
No need to be patronising just because I do not support the hunt does not mean I know little about it.

However, if it is all done in the name of controlling the population - why are all those hangeron chasing round the country having to be kept out of the huntsman if they are not doing it for the fun of it?

If its each to his own I shall start breaking the laws I think are daft, its an illegal activity and those who watch and do nothing are aiding a criminal activity - would you harbour a theif in the same way?

[Studies have been made on the red fox in this country, and it was found that many foxes do cache food in different places to come back to later.

I would recommend reading "Running with the Fox" by David Macdonald to anyone (pro or anti foxes) who is interested in fox behaviour.[/QUOTE]

Lets not let facts get in the way.

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
In my statement, I didn't mean to say they would only take one - I just meant the *frenzy* comes into it when faced with a number of their prey animals in one enclosed place. I do agree the fox will also take all eggs in a nest, or kill all members in a nest etc. I do believe this is to cache for later though. As it is natural behaviour for the fox to kill in this way though, can he be blamed for it? I do understand the need, in certain cases, for foxes to be controlled - especially in the scenario you mention in your other post, where foxes are riddled with mange etc, but I just cannot agree with persecution to extinction
Natural behaviour for the fox, exactly not for the fun for it! The only animals killing for fun are the humans on horse back but apparently thats fine.

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Kirsty NOBODY has ever said the Fox is to blame, but they must be controlled, if they were destroying your livlihood you wouldnt think twice, but you dont have a problem and Im pleased for you. You know yourself if something in your line of work is not working correctly or is broken, you fix it, if the dog doesnt do its job you replace it, if the Fox kills your chickens or lambs you shoot it!
Even if I agreed they have to be controlled why does a bunch of hooligans have to chase them across the country, dig them up etc especially when they are not very effect at it anyway?

Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Or for "fun" either
[QUOTE=Borderdawn;1520740]
[B]

Sorry Elaine the stupid comment was all melzy's by saying we dont own animals we just share our lives with them, sorry, not in this house, they are here because I want them to be, not because they choose to be, they dont have that level of thinking. This is where people fall down, giving animals anthromorphic properties, its not normal!
What like foxes kill for fun sort of thing?
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Here's a thought what would happen if we did not acredit animals with emotions. (which is what anthropomorphism is all about. It's easy to make the case for animal emotions.imo In fact, I would go so far as to say that it is bad biology to argue that humans are the only emotional beings. Emotions serve as a "social glue" to bond individuals with one another and to catalyse and regulate their social encounters. They also permit individuals to behave flexibly in a wide variety of situations. Humans are not the only animals that need to do these things. There is every reason to believe that emotions would have evolved in numerous other species. Charles Darwin himself advocated evolutionary continuity - that differences among species are differences in degree rather than kind.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 06:09 PM
If we dont cull wild life , they would end up in a pretty poor state.
I don't have any problem with a cull for the good of the majority - however, what I do take issue with is how that cull is carried out. A skilled marksman I am all for.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
So WHO then classes this animal as vermin and is it generally understood by ALL (such as a rat!)coz some of us animal lovers on here don't think the same as you can see from some of these posts. Is it just those people who hunt them with dogs for fun and those who keep chickens along with SOME of the sheep farmers who might pick out the odd nuisance one, but would never dream of shooting everyone of them on sight, I know that for sure!
Definition of vermin ...

1. Various small animals or insects, such as rats or cockroaches, that are destructive, annoying, or injurious to health.
2. Animals that prey on game, such as foxes or weasels.

So it would seem the game industry has classed foxes as vermin, along with stoats and weasels.

It is a very subjective subject as to what is vermin and what is not.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 06:17 PM
The RSPCA will also look after magpies, crows and squirrels and then release them. All of these are also classed as pest and vermin by many.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 06:22 PM

Not quite Spot, anthropomorphism means treating animals as if they are human in appearance, character or behaviour. so if you mean that humans kill for fun, as we do, then yea
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by [B
[/b]

Oh for God's sake this is bordering on stupidity imo. How can you make a statement like this in all seriousness? How can a dog make an academic decision like you propose? I think this going off topic somewhat now

Your welcome to your opinion, but my statement was serious... as Melzy is the one pointing out we dont own animals, nor should we interfere with in their lives...

Simply pointing out, dogs as other animals dont have a choice they live by our rules , and as most people purchase there pets..i.e paying money, which constitutes ownership, you can hardley say that you dont own them.

Yea I know, but I think in all fairness what Melzy meant was not meant in a literal manner. I think she said it to make her point about animals in general being abused.
Then that is what she should have said!!!

Originally Posted by spot View Post
And did you enjoy watching those deer being chased over the country side to exhaustion and then being bought down by a pack of hounds on a frosty morning?
Spot, I think you may have the wrong idea on deer culling......your imagination could`nt be further from the truth .

Foxhounds chase Foxes.... they do not chase deer nor do you hunt them down with horses, not in this neck of the woods anyway...they do hunt deer with deer hounds north of the border though.

But mostly in the UK, they are stalked..(on foot )

Not sure if there are any hunts in Exmoor or the New Forest who operate that way.

When controlled culls are in operation....firstly they will close the park to the public..(that includes me)as it is private land.

They operate in early mornings... they use professional marksman.... who can take a clean shot and bringing down their target. they take a natural selection in the culling.. the old, weak, young males.

It is a necessary evil in land management for the welfare of the land and the animals living on it.

I know they where culling that day, as I , as usually take my 2 for their daily walk in the morning...the park was closed, with park attendants on the gates...it did not take much working out what was going on, as the deer had become overpopulated....

As a whole they are a very well managed healthy lot... the estate works well in looking out for their welfare, and it is not taken lightly when they need to be culled.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

29-10-2008, 06:45 PM

Spot, I think you may have the wrong idea on deer culling......your imagination could`nt be further from the truth .

When controlled culls are in operation....firstly they will close the park to the public..(that includes me)as it is private land.

They operate in early mornings... they use professional marksman.... who can take a clean shot and bringing down their target. they take a natural selection in the culling.. the old, weak, young males.

It is a necessary evil in land management for the welfare of the land and the animals living on it.

There you go again being presumptous, however I think you've made my point better than I could. When it has to be done it is done clinically, cleanly and not with a bunch of whooping monsters just in it for the fun - thank you.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Definition of vermin ...

1. Various small animals or insects, such as rats or cockroaches, that are destructive, annoying, or injurious to health.
2. Animals that prey on game, such as foxes or weasels.

So it would seem the game industry has classed foxes as vermin, along with stoats and weasels.

It is a very subjective subject as to what is vermin and what is not.
Thanks Kirsty, I was beginning to wonder if I'd become invisible!!!

Right, so the people who raise the pheasants and other game birds so that when they've all grown up they can have fun blowing their brains out then these are the same people who consider foxes to be vermin???? Oh I understand now!!!!!
spot
Dogsey Veteran

29-10-2008, 06:48 PM

Not quite Spot, anthropomorphism means treating animals as if they are human in appearance, character or behaviour. so if you mean that humans kill for fun, as we do, then yea
Arh right so saying that animals have a sense of humour and kill things just for the fun of it and to annoy us is not giving animals characteristic of human behaviour.
Page 13 of 94 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 63 > Last »