View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Doofuz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2008, 06:06 PM
When I was 12 my parents decided that my incessant whining for a dog was enough and got me a Westie for my birthday. It was meant to be just Chips, no other dogs. My dad also has a penchant for getting what he wants and got himself a Boxer, Lennox. So we ended up with two, Lennie boecause my dad had always wanted a 'big' dog and Chips because she was my mums choice really and she wanted a small one. I loved them both, but unfortunately they both have passed on and now we have decided that we are going for a JRT, my husband and I as we have a small house with a garden and I think we are terrier people, as Chips followed me when I moved home. There you have it, but I think that will be it for life now, Chris and I will stick to Terriers cos they are all good fun.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Humm....I love border collies....I love the size, look and work ethic. My first dog (when I was 8 - as a bribe from my mother ) was a BC type. I had her till she was 16...she saw me through School/college and Uni (they came with me) and into my own home, I think that has imprinted on me! I was an agility child and spent a lot of time working other peoples BC's (always the difficult ones ) then Mum got me a red and white when I was 12.....next was meant to be a Black and white but something went wrong.

Next 2 were rescues.....GSDX and Gundog X.........My birthday pressie to me was a Beautiful pedigree Blue and white BC from a fantastic breeder....I just adore them.
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 07:33 PM
As long as I can remember I have wanted a goldie and knew one day when the time was right he or she would come along.
When I was younger I looked after my aunties dog as it worried sheep where they lived so my Nan and Grandad had her at their house, I was up there most days as they lived 2 minutes from our school and normaly went there after and at the weekend when dad was working on his or grandads car.
She was called bonnie and a terrier cross so lovely I loved her to bits.
But the one day my Auntie had her back i dont know why and she got out and was run over. no one told me as they thought i would be to upset well of course but would of like to of know but found out when I heard my mum and dad talking about it. you should always tell your children how ever sad it may be.
ticketyboo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-10-2008, 07:45 AM
When I was young we always had German Shepherds...lovely dogs, but after I got married we had our first Cairn Terrier and I've been hooked on them ever since...At the moment I have a seven year old and a two year old who get on famously together....Cairns have so much character and as long as they are well trained are the most wonderful little dog to have in any household.

My daughter and her husband have two Border Collies which are trained in agility and I'm almost certain that is the breed of dog they will stick with.
Pebs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2008, 05:41 PM
I grow up with labradors which were working gun dogs, when i had the time and space for a dog, i chose my German Short Haired Pointer, I wanted a gun dog, medium in size, shorthaired, bomb proof with children and other dogs.
where ever we go she has her own fan club, i take her to school with my kids, and all the children come and talk to her, I work on a market on Fridays and I am always asked "have you got your dog with you, can we say hello."
I could not have choosen a better dog she is fanastic in every way, and my best friend!!

Pebs
waifsnstrays
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-10-2008, 12:18 AM
i'll never forget my first dog had been asking for ages and kept geting told no then i think they just got fed up of me an said if i was good for a whole week (which was a rarity firey red head lol) i could have a dog from the shelter came out of school the day after i'd been told this and mum was there with a heinze 57 spitting image of pippin the kids programme although at that time she didn't she was a smelly little scruffy thing. i said who's is that mum thinking she was looking after it for another mum while they nipped somewhere and she said yours i just said ok and took the lead mum later asked me if i liked her i said yeah why she said you where very quiet i was shocked mum i thought i had another 6 days to be good lol she was 8 months old we had her untill 16

then came along pugsley the bulldog what a nightmare health problems from the start wouldn't be without her thou what a character nothing like the bulldogs we'd read about lazy she wanted be over the feilds running like a steam train 24/7 even when her legs were bad she wanted to be out the vet said she'd be lucky to make 4 with her health problems we finally lost her 2 years since through cancer at 15

when i got my own house in nov 2002 i wanted a dog but it was like a building site but i got a phone call on new years eve from my cousin do you want a dog i did but didn't think it was fair until the house was sorted then she told me about how buster (brewster then) was being kept so off i went to my cousins mates about 5 miles from where i live even thou the dog only lived about 2 mins car drive away cause the women wouldn't let me pick him up there my cousin took her son so i wouldn't lose it and get arrested he turned up 17 weeks old no injections and had had to run with her 5 miles or so he was covered in cig burns had lived in a back yard no bed no shelter no food and a water bowl which was frozen he is a welsh border collie x jrt and turned out to be a superb dog he eventually learned to play at 3 years old he is now 6

then came elli dachshund x lancashire heeler she was a stray mi cousin found at work on boing day no one claimed her so she stayed with me but after about 3 years i had to let my mum have her as she had becme to territorial due to kids tormenting them through the windows

then 6 months since along came bert (then maverick) a pointer x approx 18 months old oh said no more dogs one is enough so i sent him a text maessage from buster so he gave in i ran home from the pub rang about him and he was still there i went to see him the day after about 100 miles away took buster with us and he cme home he's just big and daft i'm sure his head is empty lol
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2008, 07:54 AM
I wanted a dog which was calm, relaxed and friendly a dog i could trust with my little boy (obviously not on his own. even though i could). I was researching breeds and came across the newfoundland, went to visit a few and totally fell in love, and never looked back
Angel20
New Member!
Female 

09-10-2008, 12:22 PM
I have two Boxers, Bobby who is 12 months and Heidi who is 3! I just love boxers so much, they are so playful and fun and totally family orientated.

They are like the peter pan of dogs "they never grow up". i will always have boxers x
Icerunner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2008, 04:59 PM
We always had dogs as a child our first was a Basset hound x Lab called Snoopy what a lovely boy died of a heart attack ages 10 years old left us all devastated, after 3 years we got a Springer Spaniel called Danny a lovely boy really obedient when he wanted to be LOL passed away aged 16 laways remebered run free boys.

Then I got married and wanted a dog but both of us working full time it wasnt fair on a dog so we waited 8 years until we could have time for a dog, I wanted a Border Collie but my husband wanted a Siberian husky as he had always loved them from a child. I didnt know much about them so thought I wouldnt say no but research the breed first after about 8 months researhching and mnumerous shows and rallies and joining various sites and learning how wonderful this breed is we got our first husky called Timber a complete darling and we have never looked back have 3 now and totally dedicated to the breed.
rottalmarotts
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Well I can not remember a time when we were without a dog for any length of time. When I was small I remember playing circus with my nan's huge GSD. He was the llion and I used to put my head in his mouth. Whilst growing up we has another GSD who was rescued by my dad as a chicken farmer was going to shoot him as he wasn't nasty enough!!!! My dad had to hacksaw the chain off his neck which has grown into his skin.
After Bru died we had a couple of crossbreeds. We had Coppell the collie cross when mum and dad went to Blackpool Champ show and saw their first Rott and that was 1980 we have never been without a house full since.
I got married and had my first boy and thought he will want to do child handling ( how wrong was I) so I bought my Swedish Vallhund as I wanted a smallish dog for a child to handle on Working day. After I lost Elsie the Vall at almost 14 yrs i decided to look at ACDs I just loved the breed but thought they would be too expensive but was pleasantly suprised and now I have Brody and Willis. Can't put the link on here but if you google Rottalma you can see all the family dogs lol

Will always have a Rott and a Cattle Dog but would love a Bull Mastiff and a Clumber Spaniel ........ maybe one day
Page 14 of 24 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »