Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2015, 05:16 AM

Human names?

A comment in Dibbythe dogs thread about oops guilty made me think of my own guilty confession.

I know loads of dogs.. I know their names and I can identify them even when they are off lead and I meet them in the woods ..I can tell Baily from Luna ( two beagles) and I can see Diesel from Roxy (two white shepards) I know Chico and Russo were adopted from a Spanish rescue..

But... What are their humans called ?? No idea!

I talk to these people, Ive walked along with them sometimes but Ive never thought to ask their names , its the dogs who are important not the human.
Sometimes the humans are dogless and say hello in shops which leaves me totally confused until they identify themselves by saying Im so&so's owner..

I think its important to know what dogs get on with mine , what dogs will beg or jump up, what dogs like a ear tickle or pat and which dont..

Is it just me? Am I a totally mad old dog woman? or are there more of you lurking out there who never think to ask about the human and only ever know the dog?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2015, 06:56 AM
No it's not just you, I have a totally mad dog-man for a husband!
Brian walks Pepsi and sometimes when we are in the car we will see someone and I say do you know them and he says yes that is Millies dad or Lady's Mum .......never a name!
Nah the hoooomans are unimportant just their four legged friends matter!
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2015, 07:08 AM
Ah but when you work with the owners and the dogs which comes first? With Sara she learn's the dogs first as I send her a list of names of dogs and breeds and owners. I have to make sure I know the owner and then the dog. When I only have contact with the owner, usually by email, I have to, when getting to classes, put the name of the dog to the breed. Sometimes difficult if there are a number of the same breed and of the same colour.lol! But we get there quite quickly. Having run training classes for over 30 years it gets easier. Mind you if I see the owner out shopping with out the dog I have to think quickly and remember which dog they have. After all they go as a pair usually.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2015, 08:11 AM
I ran classes for years and still knew everyone by their dogs . Owners quickly got used by being known as 'Rocky's Mum' or 'Rover's Dad' etc - in fact they seemed to like it.

On email, of course, I'd look up their name and address them that way, but, even then, if they were mailing me, they'd often say, Hi, it's Millie's Mom here.

Same happened when the kids were little so it's not just dog owners who are crackers
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2015, 08:40 AM
Its really embarrassing when you realise you have known people for years and dont know their name!! Its usually Bens Dad or katies mum .
Also nick names like Terrier man , Mr Speedy, Shorts man because he always wears shorts no matter what the weather.
I think mine is pink pram lady

One guy had a tattoo with a womans name on and I thought it was his wifes name and I called her by it . It turned out to be his ex -wife's name
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-05-2015, 09:02 AM
You are so right here, when you take your dog in the park it's like the 'dog' community. You see the regulars, you meet new ones, get chatting, ask the dog's name and then from then on its always "hello Poppy," or whatever. Yesterday my husband came with me to the park, (he can't walk far so doesn't come usually) I met a lady with her Dog, got chatting a while and moved on. "Do you know her then" my hubby asked, surprised cos we'd been friendly. "No, never met her before" I said. (Ladies, I AM careful when out on my own lol).

On the other hand not knowing a humans name can be embarrassing. Down at my caravan it's a bit of a community. I could be walking along and someone says "Hi Sue, how are you....." "Oh, I'm fine, you?". Can I remember their name? Sometimes they're friends of my Dad but I know faces and not names.