Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 09:15 AM

Dogs and their differences.

Leading on from the thread on wolflookalikes maybe needing different fencing.

IMO many husky/malamute northern breed crosses need dog proof fencing and may have an independant streak. That maybe makes them 'different' from some other dogs.

Zeff might need overhang fencing if he was a different character of the same 'breed', he may yet need it. However the area he has is so interesting with loads of other dogs, bones, antlers, paddling pool, fox smell etc and he is such a pack animal he doesn't as yet. OTOH my springer would if she had his ability to jump---and she is also not a bold dog----but is different in a springer way. A jrt might also need really good fencing---because it is different in a terrier way.

I could never really keep George in unless she chose to be there, most of the time she did but she did end up in the field a few times. She was 'different' to the collies.

The collies are 'different' to live with in that if you have done something twice they then expect that thing to happen at that time the next day.

The labradors may be different in that they will try harder than most dogs to break into food containers etc.

I am trying to say that ALL dogs can be different but we have grown used to the ways in which most of them differ and adapted to them.

Yes 'wolflookalikes' may be different but so are all the others!

Leading on from that---my springer is a lot more pushy and affectionate than most----yet more likely to go off hunting etc if given the opportunity.

Interesting isn't it?

rune
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 09:26 AM
i think you maybe slightly 'lulled' by zeff if zeff wanted to escape he could and would(also i do know he trys to take the occasional trip on his own )

not quite sure what ur getting at really, but i would defo say all dogs have different characters of course they do....my 'northerns' are very very different to my wolfdog not more difficult than each other(maybe im just too darn used to sibes) but very different,my wolfdog is everso easy in some ways and a little trickier in others,but then he is a csv not a saarloos cross i think a swh is more akin to my santo and kaos really.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 09:47 AM
I know he could Thats what I said.--but what I am saying is that so do other dogs of other breeds (but different sizes!).

I am also saying that ALL dogs are individuals and therefore 'different' from each other as well as having breed differences.

Thats often why we like different breeds---it isn't just what they look like it is their potential behaviour as well.

They are all different.

rune
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I know he could---but what I am saying is that so do other dogs of other breeds (but different sizes!).

I am also saying that ALL dogs are individuals and therefore 'different' from each other as well as having breed differences.

Thats often why we like different breeds---it isn't just what they look like it is their potential behaviour as well.

They are all different.

rune
erm..yes, kinda stating the obvious....so this isnt a thread but a statement??? im confuzzed (doesnt take much lol)
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Well its a thread now as it has 5 posts

It was sort of thoughts really--leading on from the enclosure thread.

Anyone is free to add to them.

rune
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Boxers are home loving, adore their people & ours never try to escape. I have heard of Boxers that scale 6ft fences but wonder how long & often theyre left outside to want to do that. Our fences are nowhere near that & it never occurs to ours to even look over the top!

Agree - theyre all different . Never looked at wolf thread so cant compare the two threads
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 11:45 AM
I think all dogs are different and require different needs - some breed specific - some individual specific to the dog.

My Malamute is the easiest dog I ever had, and my collie very low needs too - but my current Lab requires much more containment and mental and physical stimulation.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Guess it depends on loads of factors
Breed SHOULD give you an idea of what you are getting - but then depends on pet/show/working breeder
then what the breeder is actually breeding for
then a bit of luck

and of course all bets are off with crossbreeds

and training and environment also make a big difference
I suspect Mia had spent alot of time shut up in a garden, when I first got her if she was in any enclosed space she spent the whole time trying to find ways out
Now she is chilled in a garden and dosent worry about getting out

On walks most of the time Ben really wont be more than 10 feet from me
Mia likes a bigger radius - she is still walking with you, knows where you are and comes back when called - but she deff likes her space
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 12:51 PM
GSDs luff their mummy (or daddy) and are always close enough to trip you up. It`s more like having a hyperactive child than a pet tbh.
Shorthaired Pointers are obsessive, active and strong willed. And huge fun.
Within those parameters - I`ve had very laid back GSDs and very lazy pointers (are you listening Shamus?) But I think those characteristics are pretty general in the breed.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Boxers are home loving, adore their people & ours never try to escape. I have heard of Boxers that scale 6ft fences but wonder how long & often theyre left outside to want to do that. Our fences are nowhere near that & it never occurs to ours to even look over the top!
Yup agree.... I know for a fact that Max can scale a 6ft fence, and has done in the past. He would also chase and kill anything in the garden that he could catch - rabbits, rats, birds - including the ones we own.

We have fences at the front of the house that are 6ft, but some at the side are only 3 ft high.....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >