Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
By Stephen lyndsay a respected behaviourist in the states, who is also I believe coming to the uk this weekend for a seminar, I believe he was invited by proffessor Mills who is conducted a study into e collars for defra. I believe Mills invited him because he has found nothing wrong with e collars so far.
Can't get the link to this to work. What exactly does Lindsay say? I'd be very surprised if Danny Mills had commented on the ongoing research being conducted at Lincoln. Commenting prior to research being completed is a big no no and Danny is far too professional to compromise a major research project.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
There's alot of chat about scientific evidence to suggest e collars are bad.
However my experience has been the opposite.

http://co104w.col104.mail.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0

By Stephen lyndsay a respected behaviourist in the states, who is also I believe coming to the uk this weekend for a seminar, I believe he was invited by proffessor Mills who is conducted a study into e collars for defra. I believe Mills invited him because he has found nothing wrong with e collars so far.

This page

http://smartdogs.wordpress.com/2010/04/27/see-no-evil-read-no-evil-cite-no-evil/

Also discusses the scientific studies in depth and discusses a very interesting study in the early 1980s.

I've copied it over in case anyone (like me) has trouble following links on this forum

Given the widespread references /cites to studies that support the idea that e-collars are not only cruel and abusive, but that they can also elicit aggressive behavior — imagine my surprise when I came across an article providing strong evidence that e-collars were astonishingly effective in rehabilitating aggression in dogs.

Daniel F. Tortora’s study, titled “Safety Training: The Elimination of Avoidance-Motivated Aggression in Dogs,” was published in the Journal of Experimental Psychology: General in 1983. The article is only available by purchase but is well worth $11.95 if you have an interest in this area. (Note: the article was also published in Australian Veterinary Practitioner in 1984, 14 (2), 70–74.)

Tortora took an elegantly simple approach to treating what he referred to as “avoidance-motivated aggression”. He proposed that because avoidance-motivated aggression is learned and maintained as an avoidance response, the most effective way to counter-condition it would be to teach the dogs nonaggressive avoidance responses.

Tortora defines avoidance-motivated aggression as “a form of instrumental aggression that involves attacks or threats of attack directed toward one or more of the dog’s human caretakers”. Avoidance aggression typically starts out as aggressive avoidance responses to things like physical discomfort (such as from grooming), intrusions on areas that the dog views as his territory and commands he doesn’t want to comply with. According to Tortora, these dogs usually suffer from a lack of training and predictability in their lives and therefore feel like they lack control over their environment. They behave like they expect bad things to happen and the only way to prevent the bad things is through aggression. When their frustrated owners resort to after-the-fact punishment, the dog’s expectations are reinforced, a feedback loop is created and the dog’s aggression escalates.

Tortora’s proposed remedy for this common, dangerous and difficult to remedy form of aggression consisted of teaching the dogs “nonaggressive, prosocial habits” such as AKC’s CDX level obedience exercises. He predicted that the probability of post-training aggressive behavior would be inversely proportional to the number of obedience exercises a dog gained proficiency in. The program also included teaching the dogs a conditioned safety signal that was used to reinforce good behavior and build the dogs’ confidence.

All exercises were introduced with the slip collar, then e-collar training was overlayed onto the introductory work. The e-collars used could emit two different tones, and tones and stimulation could be delivered separately or in conjunction with each other. The dogs were trained to perform 15 different commands at increasing levels of difficulty. These included: stand, down, come, go, hold, drop, sit, off, place, fetch, in, stay, play, no, heel, and hup. As commands were mastered, they were practiced in environments of increasing distraction. The dogs were initially trained by experienced trainers (Tortora doesn’t describe their qualifications but all were apparently able to train the dogs to a minimum of CDX level around significant distractions) in a board and train environment. Once the dogs were able to consistently perform the exercises under distraction without the e-collar, training was transferred to their owners, who used the e-collar only as needed to proof exercises.

Tortora stated that the dogs could be safely returned to their owners because: “Safety training with companion dogs, however, produces changes of long duration, perhaps even permanent changes. These changes in behavior readily transfer readily from the trainer to the dog’s owners and others.”

Many people are concerned that the stress of e-collar training will make dogs fearful or aggressive. While the dogs developed an initial conditioned anticipatory fear reaction during the escape training portion of Tortora’s program, their fear was extinguished during the subsequent avoidance and proofing stages. Upon reviewing these results, Tortora stated “It seems that the impact of safety reinforcement is to make the dog less fearful generally and better able to withstand trauma.”

How effective was this work? Well, in the abstract Tortora states that the program:

… resulted in complete and permanent elimination of aggression in all of the 36 dogs tested. In addition, it produced extremely extinction-resistant prosocial avoidance responses, significant increases in the dogs’ emotional stability, an avoidance-learning and safety acquisition response set, and improvements in measures of the dogs’ “carriage
Scientific? You're 'avin' a laugh, yeah?

Tortora acted as a consultant for Tri-Tronics (manufacturers of e-collars), didn't he?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 11:07 PM
I have heard of the Tortora study as I have all of Lindsay's books. I suspect there is some flaw in the studies; you only have to look at dogs who have been trained using shock to see they lack confidence and are stressed.... perhaps they are so busy avoiding the shock that it overshadows anything else.

I have not heard that Daniel Mills has not found any problems with shock collars - are you suggesting that the purpose of Lindsay's visit is to discuss and promote shock collars in the UK?
Surely not?

Mills and others are involved in a study re. shock collars, but I doubt if they are even allowed to discuss this until the results are made public.

Lindsay was rather rude and dismissive of some of the UK efforts to ban shock collars. However, he does IIRC say they need to be used by only good trainers with good timing (not that they should be used at all!)
Also that they should not go up to high levels.

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Can't get the link to this to work. What exactly does Lindsay say? I'd be very surprised if Danny Mills had commented on the ongoing research being conducted at Lincoln. Commenting prior to research being completed is a big no no and Danny is far too professional to compromise a major research project.
Absolutely - I suspect this is a rumour being circulated by certain people

(not you Adam).

(hallo Brierley! )

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Have just checked out the Tortora study (1983) and it's highly controversial

Both low and high (painful) levels of electric shock were used, and dogs were obedience trained, then tested using maximum stressful situations.

One example is being roughly handled and beaten about the body with a newspaper or switch, failure to comply with obedience command would be a high level electric shock

Lindsay admits in volume 3 that this raises serious welfare concerns. So much for Tortora.

Wys
x
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Have just checked out the Tortora study (1983) and it's highly controversial

Both low and high (painful) levels of electric shock were used, and dogs were obedience trained, then tested using maximum stressful situations.

One example is being roughly handled and beaten about the body with a newspaper or switch, failure to comply with obedience command would be a high level electric shock

Lindsay admits in volume 3 that this raises serious welfare concerns. So much for Tortora.

Wys
x
Indeed. And so much for 'scientific'.
Thanks Wys.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Scientific? You're 'avin' a laugh, yeah?

Tortora acted as a consultant for Tri-Tronics (manufacturers of e-collars), didn't he?
Yes I believe he did .

Originally Posted by Wysiwyg
Adam I do believe I see a grubby hand on your shoulder, my word your mentor has been busy today, first the video and now the study

You can produce a 100 studies and it won't change my opinion on the use of e collars or the confused and frightened behaviour of your poor little terrier in the video you made.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Yes I believe he did .

Adam I do believe I see a grubby hand on your shoulder, my word your mentor has been busy today, first the video and now the study

You can produce a 100 studies and it won't change my opinion on the use of e collars or the confused and frightened behaviour of your poor little terrier in the video you made.
Yup, I dont need to see any studies just looking at that little dog, and the dog in the other clip
clips that were put up by someone who uses these devices
It really says it all to me
E collar trainers either do not see or do not care for the suffering they are causing with their training

for me the no1 reason I train my dogs is for the shining eyes and big grin they give me when we are working together
for my dogs training is the most fun
for dogs trained with punishments they only become animated once they are freed to play
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 05:50 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post

(not you Adam).

(hallo Brierley! )

Wys
x
Hi Wys (reformat and lost your email address - help me out please - get in touch)

I thought one of the main reasons that new studies (I believe there are three altogether including the Lincoln one) were commissioned was that the studies presently available are disputed because of supposed irregularities or biases.

I also believe that there was quite a problem in getting the new studies off the ground in that the criteria was quite strict in order to satisfy Ethics Committees in that they can only look at dogs who have previously undergone training, or that are already being trained using a collar and not dogs at the start of training. This may have changed by the time the studies started, but I know there was a major problem around the ethics and welfare of introducing a dog to a collar for the sake of a scientific study.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 08:32 AM
Just caught up with this thread again. Well done Wys, Brierley & Minihaha for pointing out the truth of the references cited by Adam. And I agree ~ it seems highly unlikely that Adam came up with that response on his own!!

But even if he did, how flawed & outdated were those references!!! And how could anyone believe the views of someone being paid as a consultant for an e-collar manufacturer

Adam ~ there's a wealth of far more up to date, properly conducted scientific studies on the use of aversive methods to deal with dog behaviour & training issues ~ and they all conclude that the use of e-collars & other aversive methods are cruel, painful & compromise the animal's welfare. Some of the most respected dog behaviour organisations in the world have issued statements condemning the use of e-collars, & these include veterinary behaviourists, not just people employed by e-collar manufacturers! I am at a complete loss as to why you seem so intent on promoting their use ~ despite this evidence & despite the fact that you get so roundly condemned & put down on this forum.

Up to now I have given you the benefit of doubt in that your posts are polite & you haven't reacted to the vitriol. I thought that maybe logic, science & pointing out to you the harm you are doing to dogs, may have caused you to stop & reconsider what you are doing; that maybe, if you had an ounce of compassion for the dogs you claim to help, you would have looked into all the evidence we've given you on the pain & harm that e-collars & other aversives cause. I would have huge respect for you if had been able to do that & made a complete volte face & decided to study & use positive reinforcement as your primary tool.

But you haven't ~ you've continued to quote flawed references, you've demonstrated a complete misunderstanding of learning theory, you've only answered selected questions, and to crown it all, you've now shown that you don't understand dog behaviour at all by those video clips of your poor dogs.

Like Krusewalker, I've tried to speak against your methods, rather than you personally. But I've now given up ~ you are dangerous & cruel to dogs & you are clearly unwilling to even consider that you may be wrong ~ how arrogant is that!!!

I think it was Emma that has asked on several occasions, that if e-collars don't hurt, & the use of punishment based techniques are ok, why don't we zap kids with e-collars? Because it DOES hurt & because it's illegal. The following article refers to a father who's now in custody for "criminal mistreatment" of his children because he used an e-collar on them

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/pe...t_ok_for_dogs/
Closed Thread
Page 20 of 98 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 70 > Last »