Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HoneyBunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2010, 06:05 PM

Dog problem

I am a bit stuck at the moment. I am considering to get another puppy. My mum and younger sister think Honey will get jealous but Honey seems to generally love other dogs when we on walks she wants to play with other dogs and when my friends have brought theirs to my house she adores it. She is not territorial in the slightest they can play with her toys, drink from her bowl and one even ate from her bowl (as there was still a bit of food left) and she did not bat a lid.

The reason why I would like another dog is for the company for Honey and for me. Honey is Bichon Frise X Lhasa Apso and I would like to get a Cavalier King Charles as they seem to be calmer breeds. Honey always goes into her Bichon Buzz stages lol.

Honey turned 1 on the 27th March, I don't know yet if she is still too young for another dog. But would really like some advice and I know getting another dog equals more time and money spent but I am very willing for this.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 06:11 PM
I think you have thought about this and her behaviour with other dogs in your home sounds as if she would be fine with another dog,They will have each other to play with and hopefully wear themselves out Good luck in your decision.
HoneyBunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by EGYPTGAL View Post
I think you have thought about this and her behaviour with other dogs in your home sounds as if she would be fine with another dog,They will have each other to play with and hopefully wear themselves out Good luck in your decision.
Thank you, EGYPTGAL I really do think she would be great and like you said hopefully wear each other out. I just keep having this nagging vioce in my head that Honey will get jealous in which I would awful to her.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 07:36 PM
If you're really not sure is there a chance you could look after someone elses dog for a week or foster to see if she will be jealous or not? At least you won't be commited to something that may not work out then.
HoneyBunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Thank you, that is a good idea. I don't think that they should be a problem though. I mean aren't dogs territorial when it comes to their home and food etc?
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Very much depends on the dog! i have 2 beagles both male with 6 months between the 2, they had some cracking playfights for the first year or so but now will share most things ,not bones though I have fostered 7 dogs in the last year and the dogs react differently to each one, puppies get on their nerves after a bit ,too energetic but they tolerate them My 2 fosters that have fitted in best have been females and older or same age as mine, they have a similar energy and just fit in, they can still have the odd spat though. Most dogs will sort things out if you sit back and don't interfere,and give them space to stay seperate if they want it, Good luck in your decision.
HoneyBunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-04-2010, 12:30 AM
Thank you for all your information Aww beagles are so cute! Honey being a Bichon Frise has massive amounts of energy we can go for a four walk and she will still run around the house like something mad and would go on for another walk quite happily lol. Will two females be ok together? Honey got spayed before she went into season which was reccomended by the vet at the time...Huge mistake they made a right mess of poor Honey but that's another story.
I see what you mean if I get another dog they will just have to decide between the two who is the top dog between the two
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Yes they do sort it out usually although never been a hundred % which is top dog in my dogs we new or was told by trainers that are 1st dog was dominant and did seem to be the case but my younger one is similar may be why they scrapped for so many years But it rarely got too serious just sounds scary my cousin has 2 female springer spaniels thay get on fine and are the bosses when they meet our 2 boys, so a male might work out if you think she wants to be boss!?
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2010, 02:39 PM
I thought as we'd had Marius for so long as the only dog, that he would take umbrage when we brought Lola home. We were concerned that he'd be a bit jealous and also how rough he would play if over-excited.

We needn't have worried in the slightest. We should have known better than to worry as he always played beautifully with smaller dogs anyway and is a huge softie, but you never really know if the rules would change in their own territory.

As most of you know, Lola and him get on like a house on fire (he knows who's boss LOL ). He is so careful with her, really gentle and has never shown any food or toy aggression at all (although at times I really feel she deserves it, she's a real button-pusher ). He adores her so much and I really feel she has enriched his life since she came.

We get so much pleasure out of her too, but more so just seeing the two of them being bestest-buds together.

If you've done your research and think it'll work - I say go for it. I am sure you'll never regret it, just like us
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

28-04-2010, 08:19 PM
She sound sliek she's be ok. I would suggest a male instead of a bitch as a companion though.

Adam
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >