Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 07:16 PM

Dog aggression after bitch's first litter

Just as a split off from another thread, I thought I would start a new thread, partly becuase I wish to help someone, and partly because I think it is an intriguing topic. I met a lady at training I go to a couple of weeks ago who has a 3 year old working type labrador, kept as a pet, but doing the occasional picking up and just starting working trials.

The bitch was friendly to humans and dogs, playful and puppyish towards the latter prior to her litter at about 2 years old. However, after the litter (of which 1 female pup was kept) she has become aggressive to other dogs, male and female (she is still friendly towards humans). She will leave alone dogs who leave her alone and shows no interest in them, but if approached and sniffed by another dog, she will snarl, growl try to bite them and chase them off.

Does anyone know if this is a common behavioural change, and whether anything can be done to alleviate the aggression? And if so, what?
Gillbo64
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Is this when she is with the "puppy" or generally? Also how long ago did she have the litter?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 09:10 PM
The only case I know of with regards to changes in behaviour was a Lab bitch who was aggressive before she had the pups (they were first time dog owners and were unaware the neighbours dog had been visiting)

When she had the pups she was great - really happy with everyone who came round and any dogs she met - about 2 months after the pups had gone she went back to being a cow!

Everyone I know who has bred has never had a problem - bar one doberman who was possesive but fine before and after.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-10-2008, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by skilaki View Post
Does anyone know if this is a common behavioural change, and whether anything can be done to alleviate the aggression? And if so, what?
Hi Skiaki It is normal for bitches to develop 'maternal aggression' immediately following whelping ,this is natures way of helping the bitch to protect her puppies and it is largely due to the influence of a number of different hormones. Progesterone levels which were high before whelping (and this tend to have a calming effect ) fall and estrogen levels rise. Oxytocin the birth hormone and prolactin the milk releasing hormone also influence a bitches behaviour post whelping , but as the puppies grow and hormone levels return to normal the bitch should revert to being her normal herself.

If a bitch didn't have a particularly good temperament prior to whelping, changes in hormone levels and incorrect handling by an inexperienced owner during and post whelping may not improve things. Bitches with poor/nervous temperaments should not be bred from.

Sudden aggression immediately following whelping can also be a symptom of eclampsia.

The bitch was friendly to humans and dogs, playful and puppyish towards the latter prior to her litter at about 2 years old
It is also the case that a bitches true temperament isn't always evident until she has passed the puppy stage and matured, this is one of the reasons a bitch should not be bred from until she is fully mature so that her temperament can be fully evaluated. You say the bitch you speak of was 'about 2' when she had the litter, this in my opinion is too young for a Lab to have a litter.

Older bitches can sometimes develop aggression to-wards other bitches for no apparent reason, but this is not connected to whelping and often occurs in bitches who have never had a litter.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the replies. Gillbo64, the bitch had the litter between 9 months and a year ago, I think, but I can double check. So it is not aggression immediate to the rearing of the litter.

Is there anything that can be done for the bitch training wise to alleviate the aggression, or is the owner stuck with that behaviour?