Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Llanali
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by Tan's mum View Post
again would suggest clicker training with her, you say she stops for a moment or two so (and you need to be good with your timing) you can click when she isn't growing. also when she see's another dog maybe put her in a stand and stand in front of her like her mother would so she feels re-assured. apart from that i can't really help, i hope you get it sorted but it will take time hun x
I'm a bit reluctant to go down this route, probably unjustifiably but. I had a horse in for trainng a few years ago, and it had been click trained, and it nipped horribly. A clicker trainer woman- one of the people certified or whatever it is to teach people how to do it with their own horses, admitted to me, that it had made several horses 'nipped'.
I don't know if it would be the same with dogs, but since the principle is exactly identical and Salukis and horses are very like minded, being designed originally to live with them and having a very similar breed standard to Arab horses, I'd be concerned.
Obviously you're experienced in this- is this a valid concern do you feel?

I'm quite prepared for it to take a long time, I've had quite a few dogs now, and lots of difficult horses, so I can appreciate the depth of retraining required. I'll do what it takes!

Thanks again all.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 11:23 AM
The reason it tends to make horses nippy is the food rewards. I have worked on clicker training horses - but being aware of this we were very carful to train him to wait for the reward until the hand was open.

I doubt you would have that problem with your girl

To be honest - clicker training can be good - but it not for everyone - be aware you do not have to use an actual clicker - you can do exactly the same thing with a word (some people find the clicker just one too many things to hold!)
Llanali
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-10-2008, 04:26 PM
No, I suppose not. I'm sure you're right, but given that I bear the scars from said nippy horse, I have to say it put me right off! LOLStill, it may well be something to look into....are the clickers the same? If so, I can easily procure one.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I would very much be looking to teach the dog to stand behind me, so she is learning you will protect her (if as you say it is a fear reaction) making sure that no dogs are allowed in her personal space
I agree with this. My most recent rescue is really scared of other dogs, though she shows it in different ways. When we are somewhere new, she would rather just run, but when she's on her 'home patch' (where we walk every day), she will try and scare them away by barking/growling - though she does not want to fight. I suspect that might be what your girl was doing too - trying to scare them off rather than actually trying to attack.

A behavourist I trust told me to make sure that I approach/greet the strange dog before my dog does (which includes talking to the strange dog) and to only let them meet on her terms - i.e. I must make her feel safe. Once she sees there is nothing to fear, she will relax around them. Unfortunately I think I failed on making her feel safe, hence why she has started the barking, but we're still working on it and she is getting better.

The other thing, and I don't know if you have noticed this too, is that my girl is much much worse on a narrowish path - I think this is for 2 reasons - firstly the dogs approach directly face on, which can be confrontational, and secondly she feels more trapped than when she is in open spaces.

Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Good for you for promoting muzzles - I wish more people cold understand how useful they can be without making the assumption that the dog is aggressive.
Personally I would much prefer to see a dog (providing they are comfortable wearing it) running free in a muzzle than being restricted to lead walks.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Your dogs are beautiful!

I would definately go for clicker training and have never known it to make a dog nippy. All you are doing are giving it very precise information clearly telling them what you are rewarding them for and that a treat is coming very soon.

I would definately give it a go as the messages the dogs get when clicker training, if you perfect your timing, can be far less confusing, easier to understand and aren't changed by our emotions....a click sounds the same each time however you feel.

You won't have to click for ever, you only use it while you are teaching a new behaviour.
Llanali
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Hali- your dog sounds EXACTLY like mine. She is definitely worse in enclosed spaces. Actually, the behaviour is identical in the situations you describe- it's nice to know Im not the only one with this problem! Thanks for telling me your solution.

Thanks catrin- of course, I think they're gorgeous but it's nice to hear others say it, as I knwo they're not everyone's cup of tea. I'm going to try this standing method as Hali and Tassle have suggested first, and will look into clicker training to see if it may be of additional benefit for us.

I feel more positive now you've all given me some ideas. Thanks very much.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Llani, it does sound it is very much like fear.

My other rescue, Hoki was also scared of other dogs, though to a lesser extent than Stumpy, but Hoki always barked at approaching dogs. With her, talking to the oncoming dog/owner made a huge difference, in a very short space of time she worked out that it was my responsibility to decide what was a threat and she is pretty good round other dogs now - she'll never be one to play with other dogs (apart from 2 golden retrievers that she really fancies ) but she puts up with them. First I talked to the approaching dog, then when they came near, I would say to her 'be nice'.

I still let her tell them off in direct proportion to what the dog is doing to her. If the dog is calm, I expect her to greet it politely...if it then won't leave her alone, I let her have a growl, and if they still pester her, I will let her air snap. I know that she will never deliberately start a fight, she just isn't interested in other dogs and I think its wrong not to let her show how she feels.

It is also very important that your dog can sense that you are happy and relaxed about meeting these strange dogs.

I hope your girl is more like Hoki than Stumpy - once I knew what to do, Hoki was sorted out quite quickly - Stumpy is taking a lot more work

PS, I think your dogs are completely stunning...maybe one day it will be another breed for me - I might well be able to persuade my OH...he would love a dog that slept 22 hours a day
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3