View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kaska
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Agree that is normal play and Daisy is very tolerant . If you saw my two cattle dogs play you would be very alarmed! The pups learn bite inhibition from the older dogs which is invaluable. It may be that Barney will end up top dog but they should sort out the pecking order amongst themselves.

I would say that pups tend to 'settle down' around the 3-ish age but they all mature at different rates, and the training they receive also has a bearing on their behaviour of course.
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-01-2013, 07:09 PM
My Bailiie and my sisters lab Darcy play just like that. When Bailiie's had enough she lets Darcy know and we regularly remind them to be gentle. I noticed after a lot of time spent together at Christmas that Bailiie needed time out and could tell when she'd had enough! Mine is 2 1/2 and Darcy is 9 months so still quite silly! I took Bailiie out of the way to give her time out and a break - she went upstairs under our bed.... You will recognise when Daisy as had enough and at that point I would stop play and give her some space on her own. They can soon start up again later....
It's lovely watching them have fun. I agree with everyone else though - invest in a rug

Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Thanks, at what age did your 2 stop being so full on?
It probably took about 4-5 months for them to stop playing every waking moment, but even now they chase, rough and tumble 3-4 times EVERY day. To anyone visiting us who don't understand dogs would think that they are fighting, but it is just play. Fortunately it is never just one dog on the receiving end, they both are as crazy as each other.The only really peaceful time in this house is from about 6.30pm through to bedtime

However, when off lead together at the moment, Flash does chase Rucksack to the extent that when Rucksack gets rugby tackled to the floor I do sometimes have to step in as Flash tries to stop Rucksack actually get up again.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-01-2013, 11:38 AM
That's very tame to the point that I wouldn't even call it rough play. They're very quiet with it too which is nice..
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-01-2013, 12:21 PM
I must find the video of little coco and Ozzie playing :O
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I must find the video of little coco and Ozzie playing :O
Yes please

I've been stepping in and also don't let them play as soon as there together. I make them do some other things first so it's not just habit for him to jump on her.

Also managed a few simple training sessions with both dogs. It's amazing what a little bribary will get you
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Aw bless them. Bribery does go along way doesn't it. I forgot to mention that when my dogs are playing there is lots of growling etc etc, so be prepared your two little darlings will get quite noisy as Barney gets older.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Bolshie little pup. I don’t think Daisy enjoyed it as much as the pup did. He was very much ‘head on’ whilst Daisy offers him her butt and head turn few times and I think she was trying to get away but he wouldn’t leave her alone. When Daisy starts ‘winning’ the game she gets verbally corrected.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2013, 08:26 AM
That's quite an interesting video actually

The main thing to watch in any sort of play is that both animals "take turns" and this is important. If one animal is pushing more and won't take "no thanks" for an answer, then that is time to certainly step in and keep an eye on what is going on.

It looks as if the dogs are taking turns but studying it it's not really the case as the pup is often really pushing for her to play when she is trying to get away or calm him down.

To be honest, I think the pup is learning he can push other dogs around at this point, it's not too bad but he's not being told off by Daisy who is being really very tolerant... see, if he grows up thinking he can play this way with all dogs it could lead to problems out and about on walks...

A good thing is to ensure she has a "safe place" where he is not allowed to go, so she can chill out when she wants to.

It's also good that you are doing little bits of training with them together as that will build up good assocations with each other and teach them to be calm around each other too.

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2013, 10:20 PM
How are things going with these two?

Wys
x
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >