Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-12-2012, 08:45 PM

Poorly dog help!

Bella hasn't eaten all day, barely drank. And she is being really odd. She is very docile, has slept all day, and very slow in walking (as if she is an old dog!) can't jump up or down (sofa) and generally worrying me.
Managed to get her to have an ice cube, but won't touch any food or water. How do I know if this is serious? And is there anything I can do tonight prior to going vets tomorrow? Xxx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Hi Carla how old is Bella ...
is she peeing and pooing ok..
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Are her gums pale?
Is her temperature normal?
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-12-2012, 10:39 PM
She is 1. Her last wee was at 6pm last poo about 12. Gums and under lip is lighter pink than normal. I don't have anything to be able to take her temp
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-12-2012, 10:44 PM
If she is moving very very slow I'd call a 24 hour vet and have them ask me some questions. If anything, you can get some peace of mind if the vet doesn't think you need to come in, and if they DO want you to come then at least you have done what you can .
The vet will know what to ask you and what you should look for, and if they think its alright to wait until tomorrow morning for an appointment.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2012, 10:56 PM
The moving very slowly and being unable to jump up onto the sofa might indicate some sort of pain - I am thinking perhaps back, especially if she is not noticeably limping but just showing a disinclination to move. Pain will often take away appetite, as we all know ourselves.

Many years ago our first dog was as you describe, and it turned out to be a back injury which was resolved with rest and painkillers. He had been having a lovely time playing with his German Shepherd friend, and clearly twisted badly at some point. Was Bella doing something strenuous today?

However, the cause of your dog's problem can only be determined by the vet, and the sooner you speak to one the better I think.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2012, 11:31 PM
I'm sorry to read this about dear little Bella. If her gums are pale that is a sure indication that something is wrong.

My last dog had similar symptoms and when I took her to the vet they asked me to leave her there for x-rays. I was convinced it was a back problem, but it turned out to be she had chronic stomach ache from eating something that didn't agree with her which had caused an organic matter blockage. She was given something to get things moving.

Can you syringe water into her mouth to stop her getting dehydrated. I would certainly speak to a 24 hour vet who will be able to ask you all the crucial questions.

Good luck and (((hugs))) to you and Bella - keep us informed.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2012, 11:35 PM
You see?

Two very different possible causes above.........and there will be loads of others.

Only a vet will do I am afraid. Good luck and please let us know how you get on
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-12-2012, 07:51 AM
I called our vet last night. We went to an hour long follow on course yesterday so she thinks she might just be completely exhausted. Which doesn't make much sense to me as she has done much more exercise before and been fine.
I put her in her bed last night and she squealed. She will only drink if I dab my finger in it and she will drink off that.
She is definitely not herself so ringing the vets now and will go in. Need to know its not serious for peace of mind.
Worrying like mad!

Will let you all know, thanks for your support xx
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Sending loads of positive {{{vibes}}} for Bella and (((hugs))) for you. xx
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »