Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-02-2011, 07:55 AM

Mum and her cupboards.

Went over yesterday I always do some little jobs but didn't bank on the marathon job that jumped out at me.

I was getting her steamer out to show her how to use it and looked at the shelf above and thought whats all that sticky stuff ? Looked saw a can of tomato soup thought no it can't be that. Got it out peeled the wrapper away and it started hissing turned over to see what the date was 2005

Mentioned it to her and she said oh there are probbably a lot of things in there out of date now. So out came everything and then I checked the larder she hasn't much left. I could not believe how many out of date tins she had I had to empty them all then wash them all out for the recycling.

Thank goodness my brother didn't find them she would of got such a lecture.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Looked saw a can of tomato soup thought no it can't be that. Got it out peeled the wrapper away and it started hissing turned over to see what the date was 2005
Hissing soup - scary! I know that I have a few out of date things in my cupboards (mostly herbs and spices than I only used a couple of times) but none have ever hissed at me!

Does your mum have troubles reaching some of the things at the back of the higher shelves? Well done on your cleanout.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-02-2011, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Hissing soup - scary! I know that I have a few out of date things in my cupboards (mostly herbs and spices than I only used a couple of times) but none have ever hissed at me!

Does your mum have troubles reaching some of the things at the back of the higher shelves? Well done on your cleanout.
She does that was mainly the problems so the little she had left is now at the right height and in use it first date order for her.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 08:55 AM
How old is your mum Lynn if you don't mind me asking? Is it because she has lived through rationing like my Mum? My Mum has enough food to last months in her cupboards and freezer! She is such a hoarder.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
How old is your mum Lynn if you don't mind me asking? Is it because she has lived through rationing like my Mum? My Mum has enough food to last months in her cupboards and freezer! She is such a hoarder.
91 in May it is partly to do with that I think, but mostly she could not reach a lot of things the tomato soup she cannot eat anymore to much acid since she had a perforated ulcer and some were tins of pie fillings and she hasn't cooked a lot of things for a couple of years now so things just sat there and went out of date.

Half of it she had forgotten she had to be honest.

My brother did a big clear out a while ago but I remember mum getting a bit cross with him and telling him to leave the tinned stuff it doesn't go off. He goes a bit overboard and doesn't talk to her about it and tell her whats happening and tell her the date on the tins he just shouts at her tells her she wil kill herself then proceeds to throw everything away.

There is a way to handle her and he doesn't know how. So much better that I found it we made a big joke of it and she didn't feel stupid and old and incapable although she is old and is now becoming very incapable.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Aww bless her Lynn...Clive has a packet of instant mash dated 2007, it's not been opened and I keep on at him to get rid of it, he won't, he says it won't go off and it might come in handy
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Aww bless her Lynn...Clive has a packet of instant mash dated 2007, it's not been opened and I keep on at him to get rid of it, he won't, he says it won't go off and it might come in handy
Watch out for it hissing at him. Some of the tins of chopped tomatoes were splattering everywhere when I was taking the lids off. I took my life in my hands it also meant extra clearing up. Give mum her due though she did keep on about leting her clear up the mess. As if I would.